Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: triggering water injection system & advice
Craigorypeck

posted on 12/1/14 at 04:31 AM Reply With Quote
triggering water injection system & advice

My m45 charger is spinning way out of its efficiency range above 6000 engine rpm and its just heating the boost and detrimental to power up top.
Gearing down isn't an option as there wouldnt be any point running 2psi and a bigger charger wont fit.
On a track day I couldn't avoid engine knock from 6+k (8k Redline)
I pulled the ignition timing way back to around 7 degrees on the megajolt and it still pinged its nuts off and just seemed to hit a wall. Running 11.5:1 afr so not lean.
All the water injection kits be it off the shelf or diy ive seen are triggered by boost. But my supercharger setup is full boost from idle upwards.
What I'm trying to achieve is a progressive water injection setup that's controlled by IATs irrespective of boost.
Can this be done?
Or should engine revs via megajolt be the sole controller with a preset amount of water injection per rpm regardless of IATs?

And where's best for a water injector? Pre charger might help with cooling it and help seal it but the intercooler will fill with water? Or after intercooler pre plenum?
I've bored you all now lol!
But any advice would be most welcome.
Cheers.

snakebelly

posted on 12/1/14 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Funnily enough I have been having the same thought on our supercharged Volvo Tiger project, will have to see if the DTAS60 can do it, I think I can probably use one of the optional triggers but am away at the moment, if you make any progress let me know as all the googling in the world only seems to bring up pressure triggered systems.
Mikef

posted on 12/1/14 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
I think Messerschmidt did this on their injected 109 engines in the forties. Might be worth searching that line. I did have a look at this years ago when I ran a supercharged 350 bike. As I was running 50% nitro , I just decided to mix some water 1% approx in the fuel, as it would mix with nitro and methanol. Smoothed the engine out a treat.
snakebelly

posted on 12/1/14 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
this makes interesting reading:

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/archive/index.php/t-53466.html

dave_424

posted on 12/1/14 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know if megajolt has programmable outputs for things like launch control, fan control, fuel pump etc. But on my megasquirt I could set up an output control that switches a relay when intake temps get above a certain level.

If you would be okay with water/meth coming on at a certain RPM, you could get creative with a shift light and make that switch a relay at a certain RPM.

Dave

BaileyPerformance

posted on 12/1/14 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
If your running an intercooler now what is your IAT at full load? If reasonable (less than 50) then water injection may not solve the det problem, you said your total timing is 7 degrees, what boost are you running?
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Craigorypeck

posted on 12/1/14 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All.

I dont actually know what my IATs are, but after a good blast its well toasty on the engine side of IC.

Running a modest 6psi into a 10.8:1CR YB, I do suspect IATs are the problem as the m45 is running quite a few thousand rpm out of its efficiency range to get any decent boost. I know my basic ingredients are wrong but I shall persevere with trying to improve what i have for now.

The shift light idea is a good one, something I had thought about. It would be a preset flow amount tho.
There are 4 shift light outputs that could be utilized, first one to activate water pump and then maybe have more than one water injector, basically adding water in (2-3) steps rather than progressively as engine revs increase...
This sounds like quite an easy DIY option, few relays, pump, certain flow rate nozzles, water injection solenoids... patience!

The IAT trigger idea would be more specific to weather and driving conditions and basically work like a radiator fan switch, but i see a water volume control issue with this idea, it would only activate like an on/off setup.
Unless having a temp sensor up stream from the water injector supplying a rising rate signal to water pump voltage or water flow control, so effectively adding more water as temps increase if that is possible? This doesn't sound as DIY friendly to me as the above option... maybe someone would have an idea on how this could be achieved?

Both these ideas could have a washer bottle with low warning light hooked up to trigger a rev limit or retarded ignition map as a safe guard to running dry.

Lastly, how to calculate the amount of water to add? can it be calculated to the amount of fuel flow? which might be difficult to work out on a carbed engine or just monitor IATs downstream and tune accordingly?

anyways just thinking out loud..

[Edited on 12/1/14 by Craigorypeck]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.