Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Foam filled fuel tank and fuel gauges
Slimy38

posted on 31/1/14 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Foam filled fuel tank and fuel gauges

Following on from another post talking about baffled fuel tanks, I was wondering how I might use some of those foam blocks in mine. In particular, how do I get a fuel gauge to work right, if the fuel tank is filled with foam?

Do the foam blocks reduce the tank capacity appreciably? Is it something I should even consider for a primarily road car?

nick-york

posted on 31/1/14 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hi ! Im using a tank with one baffle and a sender unit . For mainly road use i don't think there is any need to fill with foam .I think you would be better with a working fuel gauge and no foam . Just my personal opinion . Other people might have different opinions. - nick.
rodgling

posted on 31/1/14 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Some fuel gauges use a float inside a tube, which works fine in a foam-filled tank.

The approach I've taken is to use twin fuel pumps (one at each end) T'd together, which is pretty effective, and cheaper/easier than a swirl pot.

Slimy38

posted on 31/1/14 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
Some fuel gauges use a float inside a tube, which works fine in a foam-filled tank.

The approach I've taken is to use twin fuel pumps (one at each end) T'd together, which is pretty effective, and cheaper/easier than a swirl pot.

The foam was more from a safety point of view, I'd stick a couple of baffles in either way to prevent starvation. The tube float sounds useful though, I'll see what I can find. Thanks.

daniel mason

posted on 31/1/14 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
ive got a good one for sale. radical prosport foam filled race tank. pics in archive.
usually £501 + vat and post,
im after £80

matt_gsxr

posted on 31/1/14 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Various VW fuel level sender ones have a tube.

GSXR1000 motorbikes use a couple of thermistors and use the temperature difference to inform that you are about to run out.

Slimy38

posted on 31/1/14 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Various VW fuel level sender ones have a tube.

GSXR1000 motorbikes use a couple of thermistors and use the temperature difference to inform that you are about to run out.

Ah, that might be an option, rather than a proper fuel gauge I can just use a low level light like on my bike. It's enough to keep my bike going so it will do fine with the car.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.