Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My first MOT
stevegough

posted on 12/2/14 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
My first MOT

Well, my Kit is three years old, and I duly took her for her first MOT yesterday.

She passed with no problems - even went onto the rolling road - I was worried about this as the sump is 2.75 inches off the floor!

I'm chuffed...... now - it will soon be put up for sale ( for a few reasons.) Watch this space!

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

adithorp

posted on 12/2/14 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't seem that long since the convoy to Stoneleigh just after you'd finished it.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

welderman

posted on 12/2/14 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Well done to your car

Shame that your selling, ive nearly finished the mini and fancy a drive out soon

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

stevegough

posted on 12/2/14 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, Adrian - just under 3 years since that Stoneleigh run! Weather was reet good as I remember - just a nasty crosswind on the way back?

And the mad dash around trough of bowland / Settle / Hawes was in July later that same year. That was with both of you and a few others!
Sadly, I didn't use the car nearly as much in 2012, and last year even less. This is the main reason for selling it - I just don't use it.

Luego Locost C20XE.

adithorp

posted on 12/2/14 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, think it was sunny, but mostly I remember thinking you were getting a bit excited taking off like a bat out of hell down the M6 ...when in reality your throttle had stuck wide open.

There are better ways to deal with lack of use than selling up... just make time and get out.

welderman

posted on 12/2/14 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
It's the bloody weather to blame. Could count on one hand the number of nice evenings we have had the last year or so. Been terrible. That's one of the reasons I've gone for a tin top mini lol

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

stevegough

posted on 13/2/14 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by welderman
It's the bloody weather to blame. Could count on one hand the number of nice evenings we have had the last year or so. Been terrible. That's one of the reasons I've gone for a tin top mini lol

Well, Joe - just been reading your rebuild thread with interest as I haven't been on the site for some considerable time, and I was wondering where + when the Mini came into being. Your thread doesn't really answer the question? Looks like you put a lot of work into rebuilding the beast, but other than a hint at the end (July '13) that you might be selling due to no time, it doesn't mentioned what happened - did you get tracking with it / sell it / then buy and fettle a mini ?

Steve.

Luego Locost C20XE.

welderman

posted on 13/2/14 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
quote:
Originally posted by welderman

Well, Joe - just been reading your rebuild thread with interest as I haven't been on the site for some considerable time, and I was wondering where + when the Mini came into being. Your thread doesn't really answer the question? Looks like you put a lot of work into rebuilding the beast, but other than a hint at the end (July '13) that you might be selling due to no time, it doesn't mentioned what happened - did you get tracking with it / sell it / then buy and fettle a mini ?

Steve.

Sold it back a the beginning of December and bought an unfinished mini project .

The procomp was finished, had mot and tax. But I decided that it was too fast for the road, so much so that when I took TommyP out he said it was like being in a jet plane lol.

So never got to track day it as I intended

But things change, ive more kids now and with that comes less time too. So tin top mini beast is nearly ready.

But...........................

Bit of a set back yesterday.

Thought I would whip the mini up the road to see how it was, its only a 300yrd run and back. First gear, second gear, third gear, slow down and the brakes work which is a good thing. Do a U turn easy this driving lark, second, third, indicate and slow down. BANG :confused:, sparks, scraping, blooimg heck. :cry:

Lucky for me there's not a lot of traffic passing, pull into kerb and scrape to a stop. Jump out. The front passenger wheel fell off.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not good, run into workshop and grab a trolly jack, pick up spare wheel. Run back to mini and stick wheel back on. Look for wheel nuts hmm, 3 of them are all within close proximity of each other so the obviously all came off at the same time, there was no warning it just happened so quick.

Right 3 nuts on my wagon, limp into workshop and on ramp.

All eyes on mini now, so studs are all there, first question was did you tighten the wheel nuts. YES I did. Ok studs look like they have a little bit of ally on from the wheel and looking closer its not ally but parts of the tread from the wheel nuts .

Check other wheel nuts and there all looking a little suspect. The internal tread looks like its had a slightly larger drill through it then tapped, leaving a rounded effect rather than a sharp pointed tooth.

All the nuts were bought from ebay and were all new.

Needs a new disc and lower ball joint, looks like I had a lucky escape.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

stevegough

posted on 13/2/14 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Wow! looks like a near miss-in-a-mini ! not done too much damage, ball joint looks ok, but the disc (rotor as the yanks call them) might need replacing.

All in all, could have been worse - a LOT worse!

And the Procomp - how can it be too fast for the road! ?

I know where you are coming from with family taking up garage time
Brought my own 3 lads up, (youngest now 27!) and had a few years peace - then....
...... WHAM !

The eldest split up with his wife, lost his house to repo (not entirely unrelated!) and came home to roost (he's 33!).
They had 2 kids - my grandkids - and each parent has them 50/50 - so, with him living with us, the grandchildren spend
3 days one week, then 4 days the next with us.......!
..........its like starting all over again ! The girl's 6 and the lad is 9.

Not easy in a 2 bed - bungalow!

[Edited on 13/2/14 by stevegough]

Luego Locost C20XE.

welderman

posted on 13/2/14 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
That's some going there.
Will meet up once minis back on road

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

adithorp

posted on 13/2/14 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds more like a reason to keep the car than to sell it and def' a reason to get out of the house and into the garage or onto the road more

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.