Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra donor
davey_b

posted on 5/3/14 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra donor

Looking at options of for a build at some point and I see many kits use bits off a Sierra. I've had a look and you can get Sierras but there's not many of them and they seem expensive (you could pay £500 - £1000 for a clapped out one that isn't ideal). I guess a few years ago there were lots but since the Mondeo replaced the Sierra there of course is less and less about. What are the options here? I know you can get parts from breakers etc. but I'm keen to get a donor car and break it myself. I was looking at something like a 2.0l mondeo for the engine so would I be able to use parts off that, are they similar/same as the sierra parts?

Thanks

whitestu

posted on 5/3/14 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
All the running gear of the Mondeo is completely different and AFAIK there aren't any kits based on it. The MX5 is a good bet as a donor though. There are also BMW based kits.

Stu

davey_b

posted on 5/3/14 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
All the running gear of the Mondeo is completely different and AFAIK there aren't any kits based on it. The MX5 is a good bet as a donor though. There are also BMW based kits.

Stu

Thanks

The kit I'm currently most interested in is the MK Indy R and it looks like it's all sierra based. I'm planning to go to Stoneleigh and I'll have a chat with some companies there. Does seem like manufacturers of kits are going to have to deal with this issue, I guess that's what a lot of them have done by going the MX5 route.

theduck

posted on 5/3/14 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Mk engineering make a BMW based kit

www.mkengineering.co.uk

loggyboy

posted on 5/3/14 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Keep hunting for donor, they do come up cheap. I paid £200 a couple of years back for mine and made more than that back scrapping the shell and selling parts I didnt need.

Mistral Motorsport

jps

posted on 5/3/14 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a perfectly good (too good to break really - Sierra Owners Club probably hate people like me!) Sierra 18 months ago for £380. So far it's paid back £200 in what i've sold parts-wise, and i've still got the shell to scrap.

I'd keep looking for a Sierra if I were you.

Mondeo is not much good as it is front wheel drive - if you want a single donor vehicle other than a Sierra you need to be looking at rear-wheel drive cars. Hence recommendation of MX5, or BMW.

If you aren't bothered about a single vehicle as a donor (which is really only a good choice because of a) getting an age related registration when you put the car on the road and b) the economy of buying donor bits in one hit) you could easily get all the Sierra bits you need from e-Bay or similar...

Not Anumber

posted on 5/3/14 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
As you may have read in the kit car magazines it's pretty much the case that if you want to go single donor at least for this type of kit car that donor has to be RWD. A FWD car such as a focus or mondeo would be a good source for an engine (a Zetec will mount to the type 9 5 speed box we all tend to use.)

If you happen to want an Indy without building one, mine is up for sale on Pistonheads at the moment; http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/kit-cars/mk/mk-engineering-indy------2004/2093554

davey_b

posted on 5/3/14 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that and your Indy looks great, the sort of things I'm hoping to build. I really want to build my own car so not looking to buy. I know I'll end up with it costing more but hey ho. How come you're selling?
Not Anumber

posted on 5/3/14 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Household finances, according to she who must be obeyed apparently everything we cant do, everyplace we cant go is all because ive got 2 cars

davey_b

posted on 5/3/14 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
Household finances, according to she who must be obeyed apparently everything we cant do, everyplace we cant go is all because ive got 2 cars

Hmmmmm..... First thing mine said when I said I wanted to build a kit car was "how much will that cost", second thing was "think of how many holidays we could go on with that"....

Not Anumber

posted on 5/3/14 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Just show her the title of the Ron Champion Book " How to Build your Own Sportscar for As Little as £ 250 "

davey_b

posted on 6/3/14 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
Just show her the title of the Ron Champion Book " How to Build your Own Sportscar for As Little as £ 250 "

hahahaha.... if only you could do it for that.

Irony

posted on 6/3/14 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Ron Champion owes me about 10K.
davey_b

posted on 21/3/14 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Been looking at GKD legend and it looks like a pretty good car. It uses a bmw 3 series as the donor. I can't believe that other companies haven't gone down the bmw route, there must be others that are looking at using a 3 series as a donor.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.