Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shared soak away issue, advice sought
r1_pete

posted on 6/3/14 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Shared soak away issue, advice sought

Daughter lives in a 3 bed semi, with shared soakaway roof drain front and back, the front fence is her responsibility, and the rear the neighbors.

At the front we stopped the fencing short of the house wall so as not to interfere with the soakaway and hopper etc.

At the rear, his fence has blown down, and he now wants to take the soakaway hopper out to put in a concrete fence post, then divert the fall pipe into a water butt.

Bearing in mind this is half a pair of semi's worth of roof water, a water butt would fill up in no time, overflowing into patios footings etc.

Their lease covers shared utilities such as this, I have told him he must not remove the existing arrangement, he can either stop his fence short of the house, or, divert the underground pipe and fall pipe to miss the new fence post.

He is adamant his fencer is going to put the new fence post in place of the soakaway hopper tomorrow, I have told him he will have an expensive legal battle if he does.

Question is really, am I right, and would we have a leg to stand on in court? the relationship with the neighbour is wrecked now so nothing to loose there......

[Edited on 6/3/14 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CompoSimmonite

posted on 6/3/14 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Might be worth a quick phone call to the local council planning office as I'm sure removal of rainwater come under specific rules.
http://www.eden.gov.uk/planning-and-development/building-control/building-control-guidance-notes/rainwater-soakaway-design-guidance/
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/drainssewers/

Paul H

blakep82

posted on 6/3/14 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
prevention is the best cure, but its his responsibility, and therefore so is any damage caused
any signs of damp appearing, tell him to get it sorted

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

jacko

posted on 6/3/14 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
why cant he fasten the post to the wall above the hopper and cut the fence around the hopper
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richardR1

posted on 6/3/14 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly what Jacko said. Just tell him he needs to fasten a treated timber post to the wall at the back of the house to be the last fence post. If he insists he is going to carry on regardless then you need to call the local council and ask to be put through to building control. A visit from a building inspector will soon stop him in his tracks.

MK Owners Club Member 1015

r1_pete

posted on 6/3/14 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, yes the timber screwed to the wall was something my daughter suggested, there is even one still there from the old fence, but he's dismissed that out of hand.

I think he thought he could just bully my daughter into submission.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 7/3/14 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
No, I'm not an expert (in anything), but I'd have thought you're paying water charges that include discharge of runoff into the sewer system. A water butt isn't a sewage system...

Sound like you've got a neighbour that you don't want, plenty around. The greedy, me, me, me social situation on the Septic Isle. I've had several, some I've had to move away from, some have thankfully died after making my life their primary concern in their final days/months/years.

If the house is a new modern shoebox on an estate, there are often covenants, etc., preventing the stupidity that seems to be taking place (I have a said shoebox, but there's now no 'enforcement' of any covenants).

Your friends here are probably the council, water company, or any building control, etc. These people have time on their hands and may well welcome the opportunity to tick a bonus box somewhere.

russbost

posted on 7/3/14 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
I have a large water butt, I recently had to move it & hence emptied it, when replaced it was empty & after one night of heavy rain it was full again!!! It only collects the runoff water from my conservatory roof so I think that answers how quickly you can fill a water butt.

I would suggest try approaching him reasonably one more time with the suggestions made above, pointing out that if he does what he's intending to that you will involve the council & they will make him change it back at his expense. Last thing you want to do is to go the legal/solicitor route as that is just a money pit

Also take pictures of the existing arrangement & any work subsequently done, unless he's a complete idiot he will see he is on a hiding to nothing.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Peteff

posted on 7/3/14 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
My garage roof fills a 40 gallon water butt in a few hours in a downpour like the ones we had recently so the house roof would fill as least 10 of them overnight

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

daveb666

posted on 7/3/14 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Tell him to get a Waterbury that overflows back in to the drain.

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

Peteff

posted on 7/3/14 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daveb666
Tell him to get a Waterbury that overflows back in to the drain.

That's the problem, he's blocking the drain with a fence post

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.