Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Springer Spaniel
austin man

posted on 7/3/14 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Springer Spaniel

Any of you guys breading them at the moment, I am looking for a bitch I already have a 12 month old dog but want a pal for him. Must be KC registered and docked as I want to work the dogs

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 8/3/14 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think any reputable dog Breeder is allowed to supply a dog with the barbaric procedure of docking anymore, as it was outlawed unless the animal is to be operating in conjunction with law enforcement (which is a case of the arse of the law as that is double standards on show)

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

sdh2903

posted on 8/3/14 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hector.Brocklebank
I don't think any reputable dog Breeder is allowed to supply a dog with the barbaric procedure of docking anymore, as it was outlawed unless the animal is to be operating in conjunction with law enforcement (which is a case of the arse of the law as that is double standards on show)

Think you'll find it's normal for a working springer. Unless you're in Scotland where all docking is outlawed.

zetec

posted on 8/3/14 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Think you'll find they just remove the last 3rd of the tail, saves it getting infected when working in bushes etc.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

Sam_68

posted on 8/3/14 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

As above; it's normal and necessary to dock the tail of working springers.

Not to do so would be the cruel thing - as Zetec says, it prevents continual damage and infection when the dog is working in bushes and brambles (and if a springer has any working character left in its genetics, you won't stop them diving into any clump of bushes or brambles whenever it gets the chance, anyway, regardless of whether it's supposed to be working).

The legality of docking is not limited to law enforcement: it is also perfectly legal for dogs that are to be worked for the purposes of shooting.

quote:
Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

Oh, the Irony!

God preserve us from clueless bunnyhuggers and ill-advised bleeding-hearts.

An un-docked Springer might be fine chasing a ball round on a municipal playing field, but if you use the dog for what it was bred to do, docking is a necessary and humane precaution.

[Edited on 8/3/14 by Sam_68]

spaximus

posted on 8/3/14 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone who has a Springer that has not been turned into a docile pet, would tell you that tail docking is the right thing. Anyone who has seen one get broken or infected would also agree. There are many other breeds that benifit from docking but it is strange that people who do not own dogs with the need will say they are barbaric to have them done.
When done properly by a vet there is no negative issues.
I had this discussion with a guy once who was shouting the odds over docking. And yet he had just had his own son's foreskin removed to apease some sky pixey by a guy not trained as a surgeon.
Strange world.

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 8/3/14 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Right or wrong is not the debate, legality is... in Scotland anyway. Mind you the fact England still allows it is yet another reason for Independence, flak jacket on incoming......

sdh2903

posted on 8/3/14 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Right or wrong is not the debate, legality is... in Scotland anyway. Mind you the fact England still allows it is yet another reason for Independence, flak jacket on incoming......

I'm not even going to bother starting on that one!!

Sam_68

posted on 8/3/14 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Right or wrong is not the debate, legality is... in Scotland anyway.

There is no issue with legality.

The OP has stated that he wants a Springer with a docked tail because he intends to work it (I think we're safe to assume shooting, not that he's intending it to herd sheep) and he is from Rotherham, according to his profile.

Last I heard, South Yorkshire was still part of the Union, though if you're looking to make some sort of territorial claim to Rotherham, you're more than welcome as far as I'm concerned (and that's coming from a Yorkshireman!). If you play nicely, we might offer you a BOGOF deal for Scunthorpe while you're at it.

Peteff

posted on 8/3/14 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine just bought a Springer as a replacement for his old one that died just after Christmas. The breeder docks them as a matter of course whether they are for pets or work. His other old bitch is 12 and she puts some miles in.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

nick205

posted on 8/3/14 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
quote:

I'm not even going to bother starting on that one!!

I will!

I'm placing a bet Scotland wakes up part of the UK the morning after.

sdh2903

posted on 8/3/14 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
I bloody well hope so! Just hope all the chavs sleep in that day.
Simon

posted on 9/3/14 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
We put a deposit (which means we are having!) on a liver/white springer bitch (tail docked), kc reg'd, chipped etc but a bit far from op Only three weeks old atm, so got to wait till 12/4 till we collect her

As for Scotland and independence - if they go, that'll be 47 less labour mp's in the HoP and no need to have the yellow party in power.

Bit off a double edged sword that one!

ATB

Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.