Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DG window units misted
ReMan

posted on 16/3/14 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
DG window units misted

As title about 50% of our windows are now failed to varying degrees. Anyone used one of these "window doctors" type folks to fix misted units and art what price/longevity?
Or do I just gets a man to replace the glass units?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

steve m

posted on 16/3/14 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
I had these problems with a few of my front glass windows, that were always in the sun
it cost me under £200 to have them remade in new units ( Gatwick glass) and was quite an easy job to fit them, on my own
except for my front window that is quite big, as I needed help, as it was to wide to handle, and bloody heavy, as it was toughened glass

If I did the job again, I would pay for the one way film, so no one can look in !

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

cliftyhanger

posted on 16/3/14 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Try window store. Lots of branches and reasonable cost for replacement units. A smallish fanlight about £15, I doubt a repair would be anything like as cheap. But you need accurate measurements....
austin man

posted on 16/3/14 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
you need new units, splitting the units can be done but not really a cost effective option any window fitter can measure the glass and exchange

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Peteff

posted on 16/3/14 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
They don't fix the misted windows they replace them same as you would yourself. I've fitted all new windows at the back of the house and put the glass in myself. Get a narrow scraper and take the beading out, start in the middle and prise it up then work towards either side, measure the glass and get new ones made and fit them yourself. There's plenty of leeway in the measurement and get some spacers to sit them on when you refit. It's a bit scary refitting the beading at first but you don't need to be too gentle, the new style ones need to be knocked in with a plastic faced mallet, wrap a rag round the head and slide it on the glass.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

v8kid

posted on 17/3/14 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
As the other chaps say.

It's a bit daunting but after the first one its easy. Get a selection of wedges you buy them in packs and I put a dab of silicone on wedges after they were fitted to stop them slipping. Sometimes the beading stretches after it is removed and I had to trim slightly.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 17/3/14 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
One of my good friends does this very repair for a living -

http://www.tonythewindowman.co.uk

ReMan

posted on 17/3/14 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
tahnks for the replys guys.
Looks like most "doctors" just replace the sealed unit anyway.
I've just been put in touch with a local mate of a mate too so might be an option

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.