Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Australian GP
Surrey Dave

posted on 17/3/14 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Australian GP

Well I don't what to think of the NEW era!, when I was watching I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!!

I'm definitely getting old ,I'm a huge F1 fan but the whole thing so far this year has left me cold and bewildered.

Even Coulthard said they sounded like Massey Ferguson's!!

Fly by wire brakes!!, fuel saving!!!.

We were cruising before to save tyres ,now were saving fuel!!!

When does the racing take place?, in the last 3 laps when they know they can finish?

I don't know ,what to say

And judging by the lack of F1 topic on here others feel the same?

sdh2903

posted on 17/3/14 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a big F1 fan but must admit I was hugely disappointed. Too quiet and awful sounding. Too much emphasis on fuel consumption, cars too complicated etc. I was watching some of the older races being shown on sky and the racing was so much more pure, balls out from start to end fastest man wins. Simple.

And quite how f1 keeps harping on about cost saving and spending caps then introduce a massively expensive power unit I'll never know!

Re the lack of volume it was quite interesting to hear the tyres squealing and the crowd noise.

chrism

posted on 17/3/14 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Also it appears now that Ricciardo has been/is being penalised as his car was burning fuel at too high a rate.

FFS next they will be sticking solar panels and catalytic converters on them to reduce emissions

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

Rod Ends

posted on 17/3/14 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Gordon Murray podcast on what's wrong with F1 cars.
johnemms

posted on 17/3/14 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
I watched the start..
fast forward..
watched a bit more ..
fast forward..
end..

I get more tension & excitement letting the missus drive me..

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

mookaloid

posted on 17/3/14 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnemms

I get more tension & excitement letting the missus drive me..

ooooh you're brave

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Slimy38

posted on 17/3/14 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrism
Also it appears now that Ricciardo has been/is being penalised as his car was burning fuel at too high a rate.

Has that decision been finalised yet? Or is it going to run for a while? I have to admit I don't understand the stewards problem, they know the unit was faulty so they applied an 'offset' to the values, and basically came up with the wrong figure. If the car was 'consistently' burning too much fuel, would he have even got to the end of the race?!

[Edited on 17/3/14 by Slimy38]

Agriv8

posted on 17/3/14 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Well I watched the highlights and found it a little boring. Managed to iron all my shirts for the week and kids school uniform.

I think it will get better as teams now have proper race data for their cars and lap and sector data for all cars. First race is a case of getting it over the finish line and get some points.

It's good to see two new faces on the podium. Last year there were 1 team winning and 2 teams arguing over 2nd and 3rd I will be surprised if and driver wins more than a couple of races over the first 3rd of a season.

I am going to give it a couple more races before switching off completely.

ATB Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

morcus

posted on 17/3/14 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Am I the only one who enjoyed it?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

mark chandler

posted on 17/3/14 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
I caught some of the qualifying as they fell off as power leapt so was expecting something interesting...... Disappointed

Using a set amount if fuel over a race I can understand but using to much at a point in time is rubbish, overtake oops back off its gone backwards, will not watch for another year now.

Jon Ison

posted on 17/3/14 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus

Looking likely.

britishtrident

posted on 17/3/14 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Regs should be
3litre v8. running Weber carbs
Hewland style gear box
open exhaust straight out the back of the car
no under car aero

1967. all over again.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

jacko

posted on 17/3/14 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
At this rate they will only have electric motors next year
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 17/3/14 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
I've been an F1 fan for decades. JPS's, six wheel cars, as a kid I can even remember the shark nose,
but for the first time ever I didn't bother to watch the race.

I use the term "race", but that's not what it is anymore.
Slow down to save your tyres, or slow down to save fuel. Thats NOT racing.

I stopped watching touring cars when they started tossing coins for grid places, and now I've stopped watching F1.

A sad Paul G

steve m

posted on 17/3/14 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
I do enjoy F1, but some years I get bored, and watch something else,
also as said above, I watch the first couple of laps . a couple in the middle, and the end

yesterdays race was a tad boring, but good to see some new faces at the top

next years will probably have diesels as well, just like Le mans, and that is soooooo wrong !

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

benchmark51

posted on 17/3/14 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, F1 is more like push button computer games, the most interesting thing was the snoz falling of Buttons car. Yawn
morcus

posted on 17/3/14 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
I won't try to defend it as I'm not in favour of alot of the new rules but I think the car look less alike than in previous years and alot more unknowns from reliablity and some exciting new drivers.

I think it would have been far more interesting if Massa hadn't been taken out at the beggining, and really nice to see Williams doing well (And already beating last years points total).

And how can a season where Marussia are beating Lotus and Red Bull be boring?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Surrey Dave

posted on 18/3/14 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
The Way Forward?

Formula E

And it's going to be LIVE FREE TO AIR on ITV4.

craig1410

posted on 18/3/14 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Nope, I thought it was great actually. I like the new engine sound and I like the fact they have hybrid turbo engines instead of outdated large capacity n/a engines. This technology is far more likely to lead to better road cars than last years engines.

If these guys can go from mature V8 2.4 litre to bleeding edge 1.6 litre hybrid turbo, using 60% as much fuel while developing the same power and going just as fast around the track, then what's not to like?

It's a shame that Ricciardo got disqualified, especially in his home race but Red Bull ignored the instructions of the FIA when all the other teams had similar issues with the fuel flow sensor but took the action demanded of them. We can argue about whether this rule is worth having (I think it is) but the simple fact is that a rule was broken, they were given a chance to fix it during the race but they didn't do that and now face the consequences. I think flow rate has to be controlled because otherwise the power differences between cars on different fuel maps would be so great that the speed differential between cars could be very dangerous indeed. We've all seen what happens when a car stalls on the grid and the cars behind end up hitting it. The same could happen if one car is cruising and another is on full power. With turbos the power difference between cruise and full power could be hundreds of BHP. Remember the turbos of old with their 1200BHP or whatever it was? Imagine one car running 1200BHP and another on 700BHP... It would be entertaining for sure, right up until someone got killed.

Anyway, looking forward to the next race. I love seeing these cars squirming around on the corner exits and I love being able to hear the tyres being tortured!

C.

Texan

posted on 18/3/14 at 03:07 AM Reply With Quote
I loved the race. I also loved that the whiney Vettel who was screaming his car was undriveable at the same time his team mate was getting top qualifying times on 2 out of the 2 sessions was out. Vettel always has an excuse that's not him. This could be a fun year!!

I'm not totally a fan of the new exhaust note, but I understand it.

I am completely against Ricciardo's disqualification. They've all got the same size gas tank and if they use enough fuel so they can't finish that's their problem, but whatever fuel flow rate they want to use to get to that point I thought was the rule limit. I thought the tank itself was the limit.

I was turned off by all the pre season stuff, but liked the race and think it will be very interesting this year.

All the green and cost savings sure got made a lie to with the costs of the new powerplants, but I can see that some of this stuff will be trickling down to the streets.

The software for the DBW braking for sure. Having the generators be the brakes is genius. While I don't see the unpredictability of the system becoming fully charged and braking characteristics suddenly changing being as bad on the street without the artificial limits F1 puts on the ERS system, but then again most of the people who drive hybrids or electric cars at this time are far from race car drivers and wouldn't be able to handle the sudden change in brake bias as well as the F1 drivers were able to.

I drive therefore I am.

Andy S

posted on 18/3/14 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
quote:

Nope, I thought it was great actually. I like the new engine sound and I like the fact they have hybrid turbo engines instead of outdated large capacity n/a engines. This technology is far more likely to lead to better road cars than last years engines.

If these guys can go from mature V8 2.4 litre to bleeding edge 1.6 litre hybrid turbo, using 60% as much fuel while developing the same power and going just as fast around the track, then what's not to like?

It's a shame that Ricciardo got disqualified, especially in his home race but Red Bull ignored the instructions of the FIA when all the other teams had similar issues with the fuel flow sensor but took the action demanded of them. We can argue about whether this rule is worth having (I think it is) but the simple fact is that a rule was broken, they were given a chance to fix it during the race but they didn't do that and now face the consequences. I think flow rate has to be controlled because otherwise the power differences between cars on different fuel maps would be so great that the speed differential between cars could be very dangerous indeed. We've all seen what happens when a car stalls on the grid and the cars behind end up hitting it. The same could happen if one car is cruising and another is on full power. With turbos the power difference between cruise and full power could be hundreds of BHP. Remember the turbos of old with their 1200BHP or whatever it was? Imagine one car running 1200BHP and another on 700BHP... It would be entertaining for sure, right up until someone got killed.

Anyway, looking forward to the next race. I love seeing these cars squirming around on the corner exits and I love being able to hear the tyres being tortured!

C.

^ +1 says it all for me, saving me time and energy to spend working on my car.

[Edited on 18/3/14 by Andy S]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.