Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Leitch Super Sprint Rebuild
kiwibrisa

posted on 17/3/14 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Leitch Super Sprint Rebuild

I have been trolling the forum for many years but have never posted.
Thought it was about time to put my project up as I have a few questions that im sure you guys will be able to help on.

Quick overview; Has been in the family for over 20 years. It was crashed around 18 years ago due to a failing ball joint and sat in a garage since then.

Engine;
1600 711m Kent xflow
1300 pistons
234 cam
twin weber dcoe 40s
gt blue printed
fully balanced
lightened flywheel

Got it like this

Did a couple of things.

And it now looks like this.

Its now fuel injected with Yamaha R6 throttle bodies and megasquirt.

80hp at the wheels

[Edited on 17/3/14 by kiwibrisa]

nick205

posted on 17/3/14 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
That looks great

Must be very satisfying to have brought it back to life and into the family

NigeEss

posted on 17/3/14 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Good work

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Mr C

posted on 17/3/14 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Fantastic Job, car looks great. interesting original colour, looks like the aston martin racing colour. Great job well done again. One of the best first posts I've seen as well

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

mookaloid

posted on 17/3/14 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Nice job

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

kiwibrisa

posted on 18/3/14 at 01:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks. Its been a lot of work but it turned out well. Use it as my every day car unless its storming down. The fuel injection was a mission so if anyone is considering bike throttle bodies on a kent pm me and I can tell you all the tricks and lessons I learned.

I am planning on putting a zetec in there now with it dressed up to look like a BDA. Will probably run webers with injectors retro fitted.

In NZ the blacktop is less common and therefore about 3 times the price. Is there much of a difference between ST and BT? Apart from solid lifters and different stroke bore etc. Ie is it enough of an improvement to justify the extra price and me waiting weeks for a good one to turn up or is a ST going to be just as good?

I started a topic here, ill probably be asking heaps more questions about conversion
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/9/viewthread.php?tid=189724

Dick Axtell

posted on 18/3/14 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Very impressive work on your car. Even more impressive - so much space in your workshop (he said enviously!!!).
Looking at your chassis, I note that its constructed using RHS tubing. From several posts on this forum, (e.g http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=189601), I got the idea that Lotus, (or probably Caterham now), used round tubing for their chassis.

Is/was your chassis original Lotus/Caterham?

[Edited on 18/3/14 by Dick Axtell]

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

kiwibrisa

posted on 18/3/14 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Axtell
Very impressive work on your car. Even more impressive - so much space in your workshop (he said enviously!!!).
Looking at your chassis, I note that its constructed using RHS tubing. From several posts on this forum, (e.g http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=189601), I got the idea that Lotus, (or probably Caterham now), used round tubing for their chassis.

Is/was your chassis original Lotus/Caterham?

[Edited on 18/3/14 by Dick Axtell]

Lotus used both round and square. My car/chassis was made in 1987 and is a pretty close replica (dimension wise) to the first Series 3 7s. Which is not necessarily a good thing! I did a lot of modifications to the front end and also footwell.

The three main replica 7 companies here use both round and square with square making up most of the chassis. Usually use round on corners (like in the boot) on crossbraces and bits that arnt covered by Ali.

Round is stronger and looks nicer, square is easier to work with and more than strong enough. So you just combine the two.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.