Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: More car insurance woes
r1_pete

posted on 2/4/14 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
More car insurance woes

I didn't think this was possible, but,

This week Daughters husband got 2 insurance renewals, one from Hastings, and one from AA.

Last year they canned the AA policy auto renewal, and went with Hastings cheaper quote.

On looking into it, the AA took the renewal payment, kids never received a policy as that would have rung alarm bells, only this week when 2 notices came did they find out they had 2 policies on the same car.

With MID and the like I did not think this would be possible, and understand that deliberately doing this it illegal.....

AA are being their usual awkward t**t selves about re funding etc...

Anyone any ideas? I've told them to start with C.A.B.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 2/4/14 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Ive just had exactly the same thing with "More than"

I got new quotes that were better than the above, so went with them, only to find an email in my spam/junk
stating I had renewed with MT, but I had not,

Sent them a shitty email, and they have refunded my £25 cancelation fee,

If you read the small print, they automaticely renew the policy unless you cancel with a call or email, and not just as I did, think as I haven't renewed, it would be cancelled

Very clever, but it is in the small print, as no one reads that !

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

r1_pete

posted on 2/4/14 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, they cancelled, and assumed all was ok as they didn't get any more correspondence from AA, no policy docs etc.....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrism

posted on 2/4/14 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Yes, they cancelled, and assumed all was ok as they didn't get any more correspondence from AA, no policy docs etc.....

Did they not notice that the payment had gone from their account last year, I certainly would have noticed the extra money missing.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

Scuzzle

posted on 2/4/14 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
RAC are bad for this as well, auto renewing unless you specifically contact them and tell them of your desire to cancel.

The best way I have found to stop companies auto renewing is to use someone elses credit card. If you pay your insurance or RAC cover with another family members credit or debit card and then pay them your payment the company you are dealing with cannot auto renew because it's not your card details and it is unlawful for them to do so.
The RAC offered me £30 worth of M&S vouchers to sign the auto renewal and give them my debit card details and not my parents which I did purely because I liked the sound of £30 worth of M&S goodies.

omega 24 v6

posted on 2/4/14 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Find it hard to believe that anyone would not notice either
a) A large lump sum going missing in one go.
b) A monthly payment going out for 12 months without being noticed.

We were always taught to check out accounts and statements. "If you don't watch your money someone else will."

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

owelly

posted on 2/4/14 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
FYI, they can auto-renew with whatever card details they have whoever it belongs to!!
A workmate borrowed my Discovery to tow a trailer whilst moving house. To put him on the policy cost £26 to amend the policy so he paid for it with his debit card. Renewal time and aforementioned mate was on my office phone ranting to his abnk as to why he was overdrawn and he was £346 missing from his account. It only rang an alarm bell as that was exact same amount as my renewal.... His bank couldn't tell him where the money had gone and if I hadn't clicked to what had happened, he would have been screwed! I contacted my insurance company (Liverpool Victoria as it happens) and explained. They told me to check the small print regarding auto-renewal and it gave them permission to take the payment from the card they held on file. LV had no way of refunding the money back into my mates account so I ended-up having to just pay my mate the cash!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

r1_pete

posted on 3/4/14 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
Find it hard to believe that anyone would not notice either
a) A large lump sum going missing in one go.
b) A monthly payment going out for 12 months without being noticed.

We were always taught to check out accounts and statements. "If you don't watch your money someone else will."

Exactly my point to the bloody kids, they've had a severe bollocking for not managing their money, and now face having wasted best part of £400, told them to get it sorted or never come to me for financial help again!!

The AA

posted on 4/4/14 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
I didn't think this was possible, but,

This week Daughters husband got 2 insurance renewals, one from Hastings, and one from AA.

Last year they canned the AA policy auto renewal, and went with Hastings cheaper quote.

On looking into it, the AA took the renewal payment, kids never received a policy as that would have rung alarm bells, only this week when 2 notices came did they find out they had 2 policies on the same car.

With MID and the like I did not think this would be possible, and understand that deliberately doing this it illegal.....

AA are being their usual awkward t**t selves about re funding etc...

Anyone any ideas? I've told them to start with C.A.B.

Hello, this is something that we would like to look in to. Please ask your Daughters Husband to email the details to chat@theaa.com including full name, address and policy number with Reference FOR67237. Kind Regards, The AA

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.