Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Master cylinder integral reservoir track use
Custardpants

posted on 4/4/14 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Master cylinder integral reservoir track use

Just setting my pedal box up over the weekend and wanted to know what the thoughts were on using the integral reservoir design for front and rear brakes.

I understand that an integral reservoir holds less hydraulic fluid than an equivalent external plastic fluid reservoir, so theoretically is more likely to run low from factors such as brake pad wear, but I also like the idea of having my brake fluid protected from an engine fire in a metal container. (Stopping the car quickly in this circumstance would be nice) Any advice much appreciated thanks!

loggyboy

posted on 4/4/14 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Surely as the fluid doesnt 'circulate' though a brake system and the heat transmittance is more likely to be made by the pipe than the fluid in the bottle the temp issue doesnt add up.

As for fire proofing, the integ metal ones still have a plastic cap.

**Edit this was in responce to a post that has since been deleted

[Edited on 4-4-14 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

britishtrident

posted on 4/4/14 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Swings and roundabouts.

The fluid in the resevoir is never going to boil unless the car is well on fire.

In any event fluid in the revevoir is reserve fluid it plays no part in stopping the car it is the fluid trapped in the cylinders pipe work and callipers that stops the car.
You can drain all the fluid out the reservoir and the car will stop normally.

There is almost zero circulation of fluid in brake system so the only fluid that will rise in temperature in use is the fluid in the caliper.

A few people on this and other foums have reported problems with the seals on Wilwood cylinders having a shorter than expected life. If looking for the best master cylinders genuine Lucas-Girling are the way to go.

You can buy plastic extensions to increase the fluid capacity and there are also Girling and AP Lockheed single circuit cylinders with larger reservoirs.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Jenko

posted on 4/4/14 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
I've used exactly those master cylinders on my build....Less complex than a remote, and as most of use teeny tiney brakes, they should bee 100% fine.

As for an engine fire, the last thing I would be worrying about is my brake fluid overheating...I would be more tuned in to saving my own butt :-)

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

adithorp

posted on 4/4/14 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Biggest down side of these cylinders is the lack of any level warning light. It's only a requirement in a road registered car but I'd want one even in a track only car, especially if it only had a tiny resevoir. If you manage to find a cap with a float that would do then that would reduce the capacity even further.

I'd expect, any fire thats well enough established to melt and ignite a plastic fluid resevoir would have caused you to stop already.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

loggyboy

posted on 4/4/14 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
I used an adapted version of a VW (sharan/ford galaxy) cap with a small float:
Only a few quid off ebay.
New Brake Fluid Resevoir Cap Galaxy Alhambra Sharan

I just made a slight adjustment to the length of the float to get it site nicely near the top of the reservior.

Mistral Motorsport

Jenko

posted on 4/4/14 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Biggest down side of these cylinders is the lack of any level warning light. It's only a requirement in a road registered car but I'd want one even in a track only car, especially if it only had a tiny resevoir. If you manage to find a cap with a float that would do then that would reduce the capacity even further.

I'd expect, any fire thats well enough established to melt and ignite a plastic fluid resevoir would have caused you to stop already.

The caps from a 2004 fiesta,etc fit perfectly and he float takes up minimal amounts of fluid as it's mostly hollow...

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

Custardpants

posted on 5/4/14 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks guys, will go for the integral reservoirs!
jwhatley

posted on 6/4/14 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
I was advised not ut use the integral resovior due to the amount of fluid they hold. And have gone with the tilton 75 series version, as you know from the photos I sent you.

Not saying they are the wrong choice, just you may find you are topping up your fluid regularly on a track day, and you do not have any warnings of low level until you get a spongey pedal.

I'm sure someone will be along soon with a different view on though, 6 of one half a dozen of the other and all that.

John

[Edited on 6/4/14 by jwhatley]

[Edited on 6/4/14 by jwhatley]

phelpsa

posted on 6/4/14 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
It all depends on how big your calipers are as to whether the reservoir is big enough.

I'd recommend using Girling ones over wilwoods or 'no brand's, mostly because the thread for the cap is much better, but also they appear to have less free play in the pushrod. Also, wilwoods don't seem to stand up to excessive movement (ie use as a clutch MC), I've killed 2 but have had no problem with the Girling replacement.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.