Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: e-bay rant
yozza

posted on 14/4/14 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
e-bay rant

So I decided to sell my 205GTi track car because work is taking up too much time and I have not been using it. Put it on e-bay, guy buys it without seeing it and phones me. He is really excited, lives local and cannot believe he has got such a bargain. I am waiting for him to arrive the next day and hear an argument outside, turns out to be him and his sister argueing about the car he has bought. He decides he does not want it and he goes off. No problem, I put it back on e-bay. I am made a few offers and a guy agrees a price without seeing it, he lives 100 miles away and does not want to make 2 trips. Without asking he sends me 100pound deposit as he is worried I will sell it before he gets to mine, I would not. He then phones me to say he cannot make it until the next week and I explain I am working away for 2 weeks. He decides he will wait even though I offer the deposit back. He then says he wants a new MOT. I explain I am offshore and he will have to wait. Car fails MOT and needs some work. I ask if he wants to make an offer as it is (is he using it only on track) or would he like to make a reduced offer. I hear nothing until today. He sends me an e-mail saying he has called the police in my area to look out for the car as I have not responded to his constant requests for his money back.
Myphone does not work offshore but he has my e-mail address, he knows I am away and without the phone. So WTF does he expect.
Do not trust anyone on e-bay, nutters everywhere.
Rant over, sorry

D Beddows

posted on 14/4/14 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
The world is full of gits I once bought a Ginetta G25 (?) by accident while drunk - it was only £100 I think and I didn't want it so I paid the guy the money and said sell it again, I had bought it after all!

Did it again recently, 'Buy It Now Or Best Offer' (deadly when drunk...) and I now have a Triumph Trophy 900 sat in my garage...... which as it turns out was a bargain but........

There is little honour left in the world sadly

morcus

posted on 14/4/14 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Had similar issue when I sold my eunos, was worse on Gumtree though as I got loads of people offering me well below what I had it up for without seeing it. One of them offered me close and when I said he could have it for that price and he dropped £100 still without ever having seen the car, then sent me weird messages when I put it up on ebay.

Too many people don't understand that a car up for auction isn't subject to inspection afterwards assuming it's correctly listed or that they should come and see it BEFORE they bid.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Paul Turner

posted on 14/4/14 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Not a car but a couple of years ago I sold a canon printer on e-bay as "not working - spares or repair". 2 of the cartridges were brand new and the printer was perfectly clean, only issue was it did not print. Started at 99p and the bidders went crazy, ended up at over £28. I only paid £50 with 5 full cartridges and a years warranty 4 years earlier.

Buyer e-mailed me after a receiving the printer saying it did not work and he wanted his money back. Simply told him to go away since there was nowhere in the description I had said it worked, it was for "spares or repair". He opened a case and guess what, e-bay found in his favour. Very kindly he offered to keep the printer and deduct his return postage from the monies I owed him, I ignored him.

Printer arrived back and guess what, the 2 new cartridges had been changed for 2 empty ones. I complained to e-bay and they refunded me the full amount stating that they were aware of his previous activities or something similar.

So I got the sale price and postage and the printer.

yozza

posted on 14/4/14 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
I honestly thought I was being as helpful as possible with this guy. Car, towing dolly, wheels all at reduced price to what he had agreed. Then the police are helping him look for a car he does not own. I dont believe the police would take much notice to be honest and a traffic cop lives next door to me anyway. I almost hope this bloke turns up when I get home as I have had a right couple of weeks and feel the need to tell him exactly what I think. I will probably calm down later but he is not getting the car. He is welcome to his deposit back. I didnt want it in the 1st place.
daveb666

posted on 14/4/14 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
If you really really wanted to you could have taken buyer #1 to court - the clearly accept the 'terms and conditions' of placing a bid on an eBay auction which enters them into a contract of sale.

but yes I agree, selling cars on Ebay is awful.

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

neilp1

posted on 14/4/14 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
It's amazing how many people don't realize you can't get a signal offshore on a mobile
yozza

posted on 14/4/14 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
I gave the guy my e-mail address and the dates I would be away so it would avoid any confusion. He is either easily confused or plain stupid. I keep telling people that when I am offshore my mobile does not get a signal and they still say "I have been ringing you but you don't answer". This is particularly true with estate agents. I had the agents selling my house put a note on their computer saying my phone would be off while I was away. They then said "well we even tried your home phone while you were away and you didn't answer that either" I have to pay these people!
bi22le

posted on 14/4/14 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
The other side of the coin

A few years back I was looking at a set of cossie latice wheels. There were a set on ebay that untill the last day were going cheap. With hours to go the price started shooting up. As they were advertised as very good condition I thought I would still bid high, over the odds but worth it if they are "very good condition". I called the guy and quizzed him. He was a massive ford fan, passionford, several fast fords and sounded a good chat. His words were "they are pretty much perfect, I used to have them on my concours car". I bid high, won and went to collect. I got there and he was not in, his wife was. I looked at the wheels and they were clean and good for their age. Not "very good" and not "concours". I felt bad just walking away with a message from his wife. I ended up having a drawn out discussion of for to class the condition of the wheels and that kerbing on 3\4 of one wheel and marks on each one is not what he advertised.

Being mutral petrolheads and Ford fans I left with my money in my pocket and he was happy to try and resell. He knew I was paying over the odds so was not happy. He was pretty cheesed off but considering I phoned, went to collect (130 mile round trip), and waited for him to get back to have a face to face I dont know what more I could of done.

I felt a bit like a cock as I had won the bid and not paid up but I would of been really annoyed with my self if I had paid over the odds for something I did not want, an average set of wheels.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

morcus

posted on 14/4/14 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yozza
I gave the guy my e-mail address and the dates I would be away so it would avoid any confusion. He is either easily confused or plain stupid. I keep telling people that when I am offshore my mobile does not get a signal and they still say "I have been ringing you but you don't answer". This is particularly true with estate agents. I had the agents selling my house put a note on their computer saying my phone would be off while I was away. They then said "well we even tried your home phone while you were away and you didn't answer that either" I have to pay these people!

Don't get me started on that, try explaining the concept of working at night to them.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

coyoteboy

posted on 14/4/14 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Do not trust anyone on e-bay, nutters everywhere.

And just think, if you get lifted for a crime you didn't commit, you'll have 12 of the nutters judging you innocence. My first jury service was a real eye opener for me - literally half the people in the room i wouldn't trust with a decision over how to cook a chicken, the remaining few could cook a chicken but had pre-conceived ideas as to how it it would taste regardless of the fact that they didn't know the sauce ingredients. Genuinely terrifying, the scale of stupidity out there. Ever since then I have viewed my fellow citizens with something of an air of caution.

Ninehigh

posted on 15/4/14 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
quote:
Originally posted by yozza

Don't get me started on that, try explaining the concept of working at night to them.

Easy, ring them up at 2am and leave a message complaining that they're not answering their phone while you're calling on your lunch break

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.