Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Soldering copper pipe (any plumbers in cambs area?)
TrophyJem

posted on 26/4/14 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Soldering copper pipe (any plumbers in cambs area?)

I have to plumb from my swirl pot to fuel pump and the only way I can get a pipe in space I have is to use copper pipe and fittings as per the picture below.

The problem I have is soldering it together. I've practised following YouTube videos and I'm crap.

So are there any plumbers on here in the cambs area that could solder this up for me?

Daddylonglegs

posted on 26/4/14 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Are you using a soldering iron or blow torch?

If you are using a soldering iron, the normal hobbysit type thing will be no good. Best using a blow torch to get the heat in. As long as it's clean and you put flux on the joint first it should flow fine. I'm no plumber, but I've always managed to do it OK.

Maybe an expert will be along soon

HTH

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

TrophyJem

posted on 26/4/14 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
Are you using a soldering iron or blow torch?

If you are using a soldering iron, the normal hobbysit type thing will be no good. Best using a blow torch to get the heat in. As long as it's clean and you put flux on the joint first it should flow fine. I'm no plumber, but I've always managed to do it OK.

Maybe an expert will be along soon

HTH

Yeah I'm using a blow torch.
Cleaning the joints before and brushing flux on.
I just can't get a joint that I'm happy with.

Wheels244

posted on 26/4/14 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
If you're not comfortable with your soldering abilities, buy the fittings with solder rings in, you can't really go wrong with them.
Wire wool the parts to clean them, flux the joints and heat with a blow lamp, I always add a bit of extra solder - just belts and braces.
If you was closer I would have done it for you.

Rob

Build Blog: http://wheels244.wordpress.com/

pewe

posted on 26/4/14 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
I'm no plumber but have soldered hundreds of end feed joints as your pic. with a gas torch.
As said above ^^ providing the pipe is clean and you use flux they should be OK.
End-feed will not show much solder at the ends as the rely on capillary action to suck the solder into the space between the pipe and fitting.
If you're in doubt pressure test by sealing one end, putting an air-line on the other (taking care as pressurised air can be dangerous) then put it all in water.
Any leaks will show as bubbles but odds-on there won't be any.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

twybrow

posted on 26/4/14 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
The trick I found is to not think about heating the whole fitting - you need to heat where you want the solder to flow to as the solder will tend to move from a cool area to a hot area. As soon as I sopped directly heating the area with solder in, I have had food results ever since.
owelly

posted on 26/4/14 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Are you tinning the joints first?
Clean the joints using wire wool, including inside the fittings. Then clean them again just to make sure.
Apply the flux paste and start to heat the copper straight away. Heat it just enough for the solder to melt onto the copper, don't melt the solder with the flame, if that makes any sense? Once you have all the pipe-ends and fittings tinned (coated in solder) then you can apply a bit more flux and assemble the pipework. If you've put too much solder on, you won't get the fittings together so you'll have to either:
1. heat up the pipework and 'wipe' the solder off with a damp cloth. This will still leave the copper 'tinned'.
2. heat up the pipework and push it all together and start to solder the job.

Try to avoid applying too much heat. If the copper turns blue, you've got it too hot and you may be as well sweating it all apart and starting again.

If you have solder running all over the place, use the damp cloth the wipe it away to makea neat finish

As you're wafting the flame over the joints and applying dabs of solder, keep dipping the solder in the flux.

Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know and I'm sure there are plenty of folks who are confident with soldering and will miss out cleaning, tinning and applying extra solder but the way I've been taught and doing for the past 20-odd years has never let me down and I've never had to revisit a joint! Obviously, with practice, most of the stages all merge into one!
Good luck.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Davey D

posted on 26/4/14 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
It is possible to get too much heat into it leaving a bad joint. just heat it up gently, occasionally testing the solder to see if it melts on it. once it starts to melt remove the heat, and move the solder round. every so often giving it a quick waft with the flame
BenB

posted on 26/4/14 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yes. Just use capilary ring fittings instead. Apply the torch to each end of the fitting until a "flash" of solder creeps out at the end of the fitting. Jobs a good un. What most people fail to do is clean the copper enough or apply too much or too little solder. I'd say keep at it, its jusr good prep and practice- I know find end feed easier and more reliable than solder ring....
TrophyJem

posted on 26/4/14 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies and pointers.

I think I've done it. Its under pressure test now.

[Edited on 26/4/14 by TrophyJem]

snapper

posted on 26/4/14 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I was going to say use compression joints

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

jacko

posted on 26/4/14 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Another time you do something like that have a damp wet cloth and as you do the soldering wipe the joint it will smooth the excess solder off
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 26/4/14 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Not a bad effort! If you wire wool it again and heat it gently then the excess solder will often disappear into the joint.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.