Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Check Your Prop Adapter!
phelpsa

posted on 28/4/14 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Check Your Prop Adapter!

Its that time of year again....

Putting the car ready to go testing, grabbed hold of the front prop and it wobbled.... loose prop adapter! If you haven't checked it for a while it's easy to check and probably worth doing.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
teegray19

posted on 28/4/14 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Il second that! Mine nearly came off recently

Built Formular 27 with 1600cc crossflow, 1700cc 0 miles crossflow, Kawasaki ZZR1100

theprisioner

posted on 28/4/14 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Is that a BEC?

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

kj

posted on 28/4/14 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is on thread loco and lock tab fully torqued. Will check after testing

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

chrism

posted on 28/4/14 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ideally what you want if there is space, is a proper motorcycle washer that engages onto the spline and then the end gets hammered up onto the nut to stop it spinning off, the same as would have been on the front sprocket when the engine was originally in a bike.

I think the reason most dont have these is because the prop adaptors are to deep to allow one to fit onto the spline.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

phelpsa

posted on 28/4/14 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrism
Ideally what you want if there is space, is a proper motorcycle washer that engages onto the spline and then the end gets hammered up onto the nut to stop it spinning off, the same as would have been on the front sprocket when the engine was originally in a bike.

I think the reason most dont have these is because the prop adaptors are to deep to allow one to fit onto the spline.

Got one. Unfortunately over time the nut had managed to push the washer off the spline. New washer and nut on order.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fimi7

posted on 29/4/14 at 01:59 AM Reply With Quote
So what exactly fails. The nut holding to the gearbox or the adapter to the drive shaft?

--- Ali

ian.stewart

posted on 29/4/14 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Mine is nyloc nut, Nyloc nuts are only meant to be used once for maximum security, alternatively, clean the thread so its grease free, and use Loctite, If it needs to come off again I would use threadloc, if its unlikely to need to be removed again use studloc.

Something different, Very different..............

coyoteboy

posted on 29/4/14 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd use a better locking combination if you're finding it loosening, if it's a single nut I'd be using a pair and locking off against each other or drilling and wiring the outer edge of the nut depending on load conditions.

Matt21

posted on 3/5/14 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
i read this thread a while back, and decided to give my prop a wobble the other day, all four bolts loose!
40inches

posted on 3/5/14 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Personally I'd use a better locking combination if you're finding it loosening, if it's a single nut I'd be using a pair and locking off against each other or drilling and wiring the outer edge of the nut depending on load conditions.

Unfortunately you can do neither with the nut on a bike engine output shaft. You can barely bend over the tabs on the locking washer, and the nut leaves no spare thread.

sdh2903

posted on 3/5/14 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

Unfortunately you can do neither with the nut on a bike engine output shaft. You can barely bend over the tabs on the locking washer, and the nut leaves no spare thread.

Yes you can. Small hole drilled in nut, small hole in adapter, wirelock and voila fit and forget. I also wirelocked all my prop bolts and reverse box bolts. Mr IVA man was very impressed. Engine was a 98 R1.

40inches

posted on 3/5/14 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

Yes you can. Small hole drilled in nut, small hole in adapter, wirelock and voila fit and forget. I also wirelocked all my prop bolts and reverse box bolts. Mr IVA man was very impressed. Engine was a 98 R1.

Blimey! you must have more space in your adaptor than mine, the socket only just fits in to tighten the nut, but I did buy it 12 years ago

rick1962uk

posted on 3/5/14 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
why not drill a 3mm thread in the side and screw a grub screw with locktight to hold it
:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 8/5/14 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
i just used thread lock on mine - never had issue - make sure you degrease the threads first tho with something like thinners or something that will evaporate. then threadlock
van cleef

posted on 9/5/14 at 05:25 AM Reply With Quote
I've had my adapter come loose at 70 mph which did a lot of damage.

I'm paranoid now and check the bolts religiously.

Custardpants

posted on 20/5/14 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
I paint a small creep line across each bolt to help with a quick visual check for peace of mind along with the usual thread lock etc.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.