Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - new phone options
mcerd1

posted on 6/5/14 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
OT - new phone options

My phone is on its last legs, the charger plug is getting doggy, some of the buttons are getting worn out and its just a bit too slow for all I'm asking it to do sometimes

problem is that my old phone is just about perfect for my needs (apart from being a bit slow and worn out) and I don't know any new phone that can match it
The old phone is a nokia N86, one of the last of the old symbian phones (but I don't use apps, so thats never bothered me)
So I’m looking for a new phone that does all of that (or as close as I can get) - any ideas ?

It must have/be:
- its pretty much indestructible (like most old nokia's) its been dropped more times than I can count and even been underwater twice with no damage
- take removable memory cards (micro SD for preference)
- have a fairly decent camera
- have really good battery life (last one is about 9+ days on standby)
- gets good signal
- be able to set multiple alarms and they work even when the phone is turned off
- be able to do basic web browsing (hand for checking locostbuilders on the go)
- a 3.5mm jack for line out / headphones

I’d rather not have a touchscreen and I’d like one with dedicated buttons for the music player like the current one, but I know that’s a big ask
I’d also like it to have a built-in FM transmitter like the old one

Any suggestions ?
I've got a feeling my perfect phone doesn't exist

I went through this dilemma a couple of years back and went for a basic samsung brick which I've ended up not using as its just too basic for me
The GF's got a galaxy s3 but the software drives me mad
I don't know if its true with all android stuff but the thing seems to get a software update every 10min and once its done all your settings have gone back to default

[Edited on 6/5/2014 by mcerd1]

-

owelly

posted on 6/5/14 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Just the thing for you....
New Nokia N86 Phone Slide 8GB 8MP Symbian WiFi GPS 3G HSDPA Unlocked Black 00758478026939 | eBay
elcome

;-)

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 6/5/14 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
^^ its coming to that, but I'd like something a bit quicker if I can get it (6000+ songs kind of kills the music player)

someone tells me they are still the phone of choice if your blind (text to speech is built-in) hence the recon & s/h prices for such an old phone...

[Edited on 6/5/2014 by mcerd1]

-

D Beddows

posted on 6/5/14 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a less broken one of what you've got - you aren't going to find 9 days battery life with any modern smartphone - I would suggest a rooted Galaxy S2 tbh, decent camera, cheap etc BUT you will have to charge it everyday
Slimy38

posted on 6/5/14 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Blackberries are actually quite decent if you're not after the 'smartphone' experience. They certainly handle charge better, my work phone lasts about a week with average use whereas my Galaxy S2 can be spent in half a day with the same workload. You've got things like sd storage, headphone sockets, not sure about the waterproof abilities but they are quite robust. Mine has been skipped across the kitchen tiles with no visible damage.

I've just this second checked it for FM and it seems to have one. Camera is pretty decent.

stevebubs

posted on 6/5/14 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree - the blackberry range might be your best bet...perhaps even one of the pre-Blackberry 10 models..

[Edited on 6/5/14 by stevebubs]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.