Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone tried ms3-pro?
coyoteboy

posted on 6/5/14 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone tried ms3-pro?

Considering it for running my V8. I run the 4 pot turbo off an ms1 but I fancy the capabilities of running sequential spark and squirt COP.

matt_gsxr

posted on 7/5/14 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
ms2 is way better than ms1 in so many small ways.

I haven't done anything with ms3, but it is much more expensive so won't bother.

Can ms3 run a v8 fully sequential? I didn't think it had 8 injector drivers.

coyoteboy

posted on 7/5/14 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've played with MS2 and 1 on a variety of engines (I only run MS1 at home) so I was keen to try 3 but it falls outside the sensible DIY level for a self build, self mod setup IMO (as you seem to agree). However the MS3-Pro (surface mount, water resistant, comes with harness etc for 710) comes with full drivers for sequential spark and squirt on a V8. It's not exactly the same as the MS3 (or it may be, but encompasses all of the MS3 expansions. I was going to re-design the PCB for the MS3 and incorporate all the mods on my own mainboard but since they've done it properly themselves it looks like a waste of my time for the extra cash.

http://www.diyautotune.com/ms3-pro.html

<link added>

[Edited on 7/5/14 by coyoteboy]

daxtojeiro

posted on 7/5/14 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
the MS3 Pro is very good, but your price of £710 is way out.
They are $1199 inc a bare ended loom, then theres $75 for postage to the UK. This works out at £772 (PayPal rates).
Then you pay import duty, VAT and delivery charges so the total is £980.

An MS3 with the MS3X card inc a loom and postage is £625 from www.ExtraEFI.co.uk and best of all, this is an local British company your dealing with

thanks
Phil

matt_gsxr

posted on 7/5/14 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Wow I hadn't appreciated the capabilities of MS3-pro.

Sounds like an expensive exercise all around, how would you tune the fueling separately for 8 cylinders (8 lambdas?).
But if you have the budget then it would be pretty epic.

ashg

posted on 7/5/14 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have an ms3 + ms3x on my car with just about every extra under the sun. It will run 8cyls easy fully sequential. It has a built in knock module , twin map sensors, data logging to sd card and so on .......

I go to Atlanta now and then for work so whenever I go I stop in to diy auto tune and buy an ms to bring home. Buying a kit and assembling it yourself will save you a significant portion of money. I have built 7 of them so far for friends etc

The pro looks really good but I just like building them too much to buy one

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

coyoteboy

posted on 7/5/14 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daxtojeiro
Hi
the MS3 Pro is very good, but your price of £710 is way out.
They are $1199 inc a bare ended loom, then theres $75 for postage to the UK. This works out at £772 (PayPal rates).
Then you pay import duty, VAT and delivery charges so the total is £980.

An MS3 with the MS3X card inc a loom and postage is £625 from www.ExtraEFI.co.uk and best of all, this is an local British company your dealing with

thanks
Phil

Yep, I know the import etc is on top, I'm not that daft The end result is always that the price to the UK is close to the USD price in GBP. Madness.

The problem I have with the MS3+card etc is it's yet another stacked mess in a box. I've tinkered with MS for a LONG time (I believe I was among the first people to apply it to the 3S-GTE something like 9 years ago) and I've fallen foul of most of the issues (most recently taking out my engine), and most of them are related to poor PCB layout, poor noise rejection on the inputs and very high reliance on perfect grounding which doesn't work well with OEM wiring which may be less than perfect to be fair. That's fine if you have the time to faff but I'm past that now - been there, done that, can't be bothered. And it's still a mentally high price for a build-it-yourself solution.

I know that sounds negative but I'm in a frustrated place with MS just now, I've been it's biggest advocate for years but it's constantly nagging me with problems and having to £1000 rebuild due to a noise on the (double screened) VR pickup was the last straw.

For a start, this wouldn't even pass as an acceptable prototype in my day to day life so to build it into my car makes me twitch.

[Edited on 8/5/14 by coyoteboy]

daxtojeiro

posted on 9/5/14 at 06:10 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,
the issue with the MS3 is that it had to fit to the original main board, hence why it looks like that. But if you take a look at the inside of most any aftermarket ECU (MS3 Pro included) the only difference is that its surface mount. The traces are all on top of each other, grounds are crossed, noise sources are close to signals, etc.
Just because it looks better doesn't neccasarliy mean its a better layout or less likely to have noise issues.

For me I always advocate buying Britsh, especially when its from one of the code developers who has devoted an awful lot of his time into developing these. Maybe Im biased, but buying from the States rather than the UK especially when the UK is cheaper always gets to me
thanks
Phil

coyoteboy

posted on 11/5/14 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Why Did it /have/ to follow the original board form?IMO that may well turn out to be the downfall of its popularity, that and the increasing cost. When it was ms2 it was a no brainer for anyone vaguely comfy with tuning, now everyone I've spoken to has volunteered the opinion that it's too pricey for a DIY solution.

If I /can/ buy from the uk cheaper or similar cost I do. But I'm not willing to spend more or get a less capable or harder work own for the sake of buying british.

Of course there's no saying the pro is laid out better but there's a good chance they will have learned lessons. Plus the smaller foehn factor and better connectors and waterproofing all makes more sense.

[Edited on 11/5/14 by coyoteboy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.