Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Should I PTFE a Plasson plastic stop cock
James

posted on 13/5/14 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Should I PTFE a Plasson plastic stop cock

Having just run in a new 32mm plastic water main I ended it with one of the Plasson plastic stop cocks.

Plasson stopcock
Plasson stopcock

I've done the nuts up as tight as I can by hand (and then with pump pliers) and it keeps weaping.

If there any reason I can't use PTFE on it? Or should I try something else?

Thanks,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

owelly

posted on 13/5/14 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
You shouldn't need PTFE and I've fitted hundreds of fittings with nothing more than a 'nnnng!' by hand. These fitting don't like to seal on pipe that is scratched so just check the ends of the plaggy pipe. If it's damaged and you can't cut it back to a good bit, try wire wool, sandpaper, or whatever else you have close by. Unless you have a dog close by. Don't use a dog.
There's nothing wrong with using PTFE but you shouldn't need it!

ETA; it is possible to overtighten these fittings! Pump-pliers can squash the fittings so proceed with caution.

[Edited on 13/5/14 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MkII

posted on 13/5/14 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
The plasson fitting seals using an o.ring inside the fitting,
all the plastic screw on bits do is hold the pipe in the fitting
so the water pressure cannot force it out again, they only need to
be hand tight. Leaks are usually due to damaged o.ring, damaged
pipe or the pipe not pushed far enough into the fitting.

rash12

posted on 13/5/14 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
no ptfe needed but use a pipe support liner for mdpe pipe just to make sure

jossey

posted on 13/5/14 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Noooooo

It will leak if you do

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 13/5/14 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Have now engaged brain and realised it's not the thread that seals but the pipe.

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
These fitting don't like to seal on pipe that is scratched so just check the ends of the plaggy pipe.

I'm guessing that's probably the problem as the pipe is fairly scratched from pulling it through the wall.

Cutting back is going to be a problem, so I guess it's down to sanding it.

Thanks all!
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

James

posted on 25/5/14 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
This blooming pipe is still leaking. Its only a weep but not what I want!

I've stripped it apart, checked the o-ring and sanded the pipe so its smooth all around. Tried not to sand too much as I don't want to cause leaks that way!

The insert is in place.

was wondering if you can solvent weld this stuff? Could I glue a collar around the pipe to attach another 'clean' piece of pipe, to it?

Would the next size up from 32mm (40mm?) Work for this purpose?

Thanks!
James

Marcus

posted on 25/5/14 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi James,

You can't solvent weld MDPE pipe. Electrofusion welding would sort your problem, but you'd have to hire a welding kit and buy a new stopcock.
As has been said above, these fittings seal on the outside of the pipe so need unscratched pipe. I can't think of any fittings which seal on the inside of the pipe at 32mm, bigger stuff would be no issue.

Scratched pipe is the number one cause of customer complaints I get (I work as QA tech support for one of Plasson's competitors)

Shame you're miles from Doncaster, we have an electrofusion machine here.....

Not much help I'm afraid

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

James

posted on 25/5/14 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the speedy reply Marcus.

Hmmm. OK, well at least I'm not the only one!

Would I get a better seal with a different manufacturer? Or A brass straight joiner or brass stop cock?
Have seen 'push-lock' straight joiners on a video, are they any better?

Spent 2 weeks on this now. Rather beginning to question my DIY skills and whether I should be continuing with this project!

James

[Edited on 25/5/14 by James]

JoelP

posted on 25/5/14 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Don't panic James, it's an easy mistake to make. I always tape up the end 6 inches before pulling it through, to protect it.

You might be able to use a soft plumbing sealant to smooth any scratches. I don't think ptfe would work with a pushfit, though it would definitely work with a compression fitting.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

James

posted on 25/5/14 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
My plumber friend wasn't keen on a plastic stop cock anyway saying it would get brittle and fail. Should I try a 32mm brass compression stop cock instead?

If I'd thought I would have protected the pipe more- assuming this is the problem.

I'm willing to sand it more but I cant see any more scratches so concerned I'll oval the pipe and it'll still leak!

Matt21

posted on 25/5/14 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
using ptfe will not cause ANY isses at all

but... you would be better looking into why its weeping to start with?
if there is nothing amiss then just use some ptfe to help seal the threads

MkII

posted on 25/5/14 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Putting ptfe on the threads will not make any difference to the leak, this type of fitting does not use the threads to seal against leaks.
iank

posted on 25/5/14 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
If you can't get it to seal I think you'll need to cut the pipe back to where it's undamaged and extend with a good length using a straight coupling.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

adam1985

posted on 25/5/14 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Use this on the scratched pipe and extend with a short fresh piece to put your stoptap on if you have room. May be cheaper if you look around

http://www.stc-plumbing.com/magento/index.php/mains-water-gas/polyethylene-blue-coils/conex-compression-fittings/32mm-fittings/conex-32mm-s301-pxp-str aight-coupler.html

Link doesnt work but in the mains water/ gas section conex do a 32mm brass coupler

[Edited on 25/5/14 by adam1985]

[Edited on 25/5/14 by adam1985]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.