Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: crimp tool for superseal/molex pins
blakep82

posted on 18/5/14 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
crimp tool for superseal/molex pins

whats good?
i have no idea what to look for, and i see some at 60 quid. i don't have 60 quid for one, i want one 10-15, preferably less.
yeah you get what you pay for, but i'm buying one out of protest
people keep saying they'll do my wiring loom, then i never hear from them again and they don't answer my emails, so;

whats decent and cheap, since i'm going to have to get on and do this myself

best i've got is one of these, which i've never managed to have working properly, and i don't think its up to these type of plugs

i think i've got one of these somewhere too, do these work?

[Edited on 18/5/14 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

loggyboy

posted on 18/5/14 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

i think i've got one of these somewhere too, do these work?

The one your most likely to have is for coloured insulated terminals, (just a simple oval hole clamp) where as the one pictured is for non insulated, ie the superseal style 'legged' pins that double back on them selves, hence the M shaped crimp clamp.
I went for a cheap rachet version, circa £8 from ebay. However due to the delicate nature of them, I would suspect the non rachtet version youve pictured may be even easier to control.
The rachet ones crimp both cable and insulation legs at same time.

Heres the results from first try of mine:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=181073

Mistral Motorsport

big-vee-twin

posted on 18/5/14 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
I usually fold them and squish them with long nose pliers then finish off with soldering, makes a good joint and makes use of the tools I have.

Never had one fall off.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

blakep82

posted on 18/5/14 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
you're right! the end is different.

the one you got isn't listed by that same guy any more
i can't work out if this is the right type or not?
Electrical Ratchet Crimping Tool Pliers interlocking non insulated bullets AT672

or this one?
Non-insulated Crimp Tool - 3.9mm Bullets, 6.3mm Terminals Crimping Bullet un MP

quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
I usually fold them and squish them with long nose pliers then finish off with soldering, makes a good joint and makes use of the tools I have.

Never had one fall off.

i've done that before, often end up bending them or breaking them, and getting frustrated with them lol and i've got a LOT to do, so need efficiency in this case

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

daviep

posted on 19/5/14 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look HERE and pick which ever fits your budget. FYI I have a set of the cheapo pliers and find they work well enough, not sure where I got them from.

Regards
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

loggyboy

posted on 19/5/14 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
I'd go for these:
Non-Insulated Crimp Tool - 6.3mm, 3.9mm Bullets Flag Terminals Crimping Spade DL

or these are similar to mine:

Non-Insulated Tab Terminal Crimper Plier AWG28-18 SN-28

No idea how good they are though as they are slightly different.

Mistral Motorsport

blakep82

posted on 19/5/14 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers davie, I'd go with mp71, but after vat and post is added, its up to 15 quid, which isnt bad, but the same as these Non-insulated Crimp Tool - 3.9mm Bullets, 6.3mm Terminals Crimping Bullet un MP

Before I knew it, i'd gone with loggys suggestion, under a tenner, ratchet etc, clicked buy it now before I even knew what I was doing

Cheers lads

Edit, bah, should've checked the item location. Over a week for delivery from gibraltar. Email address is cliefromchina, ah well, no rush

[Edited on 19/5/14 by blakep82]

40inches

posted on 19/5/14 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
I have used one of these Ref MP71 from VWS for years, give a OEM finished crimp.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.