Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R500 13" wheels and westfield FW bodywork?
Copland

posted on 19/5/14 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
R500 13" wheels and westfield FW bodywork?

Speaking to Grame Wight at the weekend about my cars poor handling he said first thing I should do is get better tyres.

So after looking at a set of 888's before getting the geo done am now thinking of selling my 15" pro race 1.2's with tyres to offset the cost of a new set of 13" R500 staggered wheels with 888's as replacements, also tyres cost in the future will be cheaper, wheels look nicer, lighter.

Question I have will they fit on my car with FW bodywork and cycle wings, think my pcd is 108 but not sure about offsets ect.

Help much appreciated so I can get it booked in for geo ASAP cheers.

Benzo

posted on 19/5/14 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
I believe ET24 all around is what you are after.
Copland

posted on 19/5/14 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Still confussed, since there staggered and only come in one size if they will fit my car.

New to all this if you can tell haha.

Benzo

posted on 19/5/14 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copland
Still confussed, since there staggered and only come in one size if they will fit my car.

New to all this if you can tell haha.

They are staggered 6" and 8" aren't they?

Copland

posted on 19/5/14 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah that's what demon-tweeks site says but gives not a lot more info as to pcd and off-set and am not even sure what I have/need.
hobbsy

posted on 19/5/14 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
If it helps obviously you don't have to run them as staggered.

I'm running 6" all round with 185/60's all round. Mostly as I was on 195/45 or 195/50 15's before (and still have them) and didn't want to have to adjust the rear ride height to accommodate different sized tyres (to keep the "wedge" the same).

The wider rears do look nice though

Davey D

posted on 20/5/14 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
The Caterham R500 wheels are ET24 only. They are also 6" width front, and 8" width rear. I believe the MK Indy, and most other use ET38.

I believe one of the Caterhams also used the same wheel, but 7" front, 9" rear?

There are a few wheel width/spacing calculators online so you can compare you current setup to another size/offset wheel to see how much further it would stick out.

Quite a few people run the 6" wheels front, and back so that they will fit under their arches, but the 8" rear wheel looks much nicer with its dished shape

Copland

posted on 20/5/14 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
We'll I went and removed a from and rear wheel from my car tonight to check the offset. There was a stamp with "ET----", same on the rear, handy!
I did notice at the outer edge of the inner rim under the paint "4X108-E23", so does anyone think my offset will be ET 23? Bit worried am wrong after Davey has said a common offset is 38 now haha.

If it's correct I think I could get away with the staggered fitment after checking with some online wheel calculators (cheers for the advice Davey).

Copland

posted on 20/5/14 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Just to make my post clear the wheel had a "E" then 23 not "ET". The bit where ET was stamped was blank.

Cheers.

Davey D

posted on 20/5/14 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
I think some of the westfields were et38, and some were et 23 depending on what type of rear axle it had.

Going by what your current wheels say, it looks like yours is et 23. I'd have a look on the westfield forums to double check.

What width wheels do you currently have on the rear?

Where abouts in the UK are you? I have a spare set of r500 wheels that you could try for fitment if you was local.

Copland

posted on 20/5/14 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
I currently have 195/50/15 all round and plan on running185/60/13 & 205/60/13 and think I should have room on the rear with the FW tub. Am sure if I have understood all this that I will have more space on the front than before.

Cheers for the offer Davey but am up in Aberdeen.

The car has independent rear suspension, is there a good forum for checking on in particular?

Copland

posted on 1/6/14 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
New set of staggered wheels ordered with 888's so will update when they arrive in case anyone else with FW bodywork needs to know.

Side note, if they fit I will have a nice clean set of pro race 1.2's for sale in 15" with good toyo t1r's on a pair and some good years on the other two and will be going for about £300 + delivery if any one is interested?

Cheers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.