Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: In Car sound proofing Advice needed.
r1_pete

posted on 29/5/14 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
In Car sound proofing Advice needed.

My E Type is now back omn the road, but, with a stainless exhaust system and straight through absorption mufflers it is loud...

What I want to do is get some soundproofing in, all it has at the moment is carpet, I've been looking at the Dynamat products, has anyone used them, or similar with good results, any advice or reccomendations welcome.

Thanks.

Pete.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 29/5/14 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
I have not tried dynomat but when I converted a range rover to diesel years ago used woven carpet underlay type stuff and sticky pad stuff for doors, bonnet etc.

The sticky pads started to move under the bonnet so had to throw away which made little difference, building up the carpet was the winner.

Also did the same with a MR2 turbo, same result with sticky stuff

I would get some carpet underlay and try that first, nice and cheap with no glue.

[Edited on 29/5/14 by mark chandler]

Wadders

posted on 29/5/14 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Iv'e done a couple of T5 transporters using a mixture of dynamat and rockwool type products and it does make a difference, although not staggering, and the dynamat type products are quite heavy.

Great to use inside doors and over wheel tubs etc as its sticky backed, no faffing with spray glue etc.
Not sure how effective it would be at keeping exhaust noise out though.

Might be better off getting some quality earplugs

Slimy38

posted on 29/5/14 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
My tintop is a SEAT Toledo, and anyone who knows the Volkswagen Golf 4 platform knows they are renowned for water leaks. I got one, and removed the inch of sodden underlay, and I was amazed how much more noisy it was. If I was going to reverse the process, I'd use the underlay as it was extremely effective.
killerferret666

posted on 29/5/14 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Ive used silent coat in the kit car although not complete yet I can feel the noise when talking is just absorbed rather then bouncing around.

I've learnt the below;

They do the same sort of stuff as dynomat to take the ting and turn it into a thud when the metal is hit. However they do a foam noise absorber / isolater that goes on to top of this. which absorbs noises like road noise etc... I was really impressed with this stuff

The big open foam stuff squashes really small and returns to its position everytime. the closed foam (for the floor and 6mm deep did the same. Pic below shows the 6mm and the 15mm on the front arches, I had 35mm foam on the rear panel to keep engine noise down.

Building DDR GT4

Miami Gt4 Blog - Click Here

DIY Si

posted on 29/5/14 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Whilst it was a few years ago that I used Dynamat, it turned my old mini from a place where I HAD to use ear defenders at all times to somewhere I could hear a passenger talking at 70+MPH. I used some on the rear bulkhead, floors and front bulkheads, IIRC 2, maybe 3 sheets/rolls in all. I will certainly be using some in my Sprite once built.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Wadders

posted on 29/5/14 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Mhhh maybe i was expecting a bit too much, was hoping for Lexus interior noise levels

Guess you would notice the benefit more on a classic that has zero soundproofing to start with.

Originally posted by DIY Si
Whilst it was a few years ago that I used Dynamat, it turned my old mini from a place where I HAD to use ear defenders at all times to somewhere I could hear a passenger talking at 70+MPH. I used some on the rear bulkhead, floors and front bulkheads, IIRC 2, maybe 3 sheets/rolls in all. I will certainly be using some in my Sprite once built.

coyoteboy

posted on 29/5/14 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
You have to identify what's causing the noise - is it road/engine noise conducted through large flexible panels, radiated noise from the exhaust or tyres and at what frequencies. The required solution is different for all but generally noise reduction requires mass and air gaps.

Andi

posted on 29/5/14 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Nice big posh cars at a scrappy. Use their gubbings, should be very locost.

Andi

DIY Si

posted on 30/5/14 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
Mhhh maybe i was expecting a bit too much, was hoping for Lexus interior noise levels

Guess you would notice the benefit more on a classic that has zero soundproofing to start with.

With a solid mounted engine, solid mounted subframe, solid mounted seats, a cage, straight cut box and drop gears and a 48 IDA sticking through the bonnet that was........unlikely.

It did sound awesome though, but the 8 MPG was a bit of a bugger!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Wadders

posted on 31/5/14 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Ha Ha that sounds like it was fun bet the missus didn't never borrowed it for shopping though

With a solid mounted engine, solid mounted subframe, solid mounted seats, a cage, straight cut box and drop gears and a 48 IDA sticking through the bonnet that was........unlikely.

DIY Si

posted on 1/6/14 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
Ha Ha that sounds like it was fun bet the missus didn't never borrowed it for shopping though

The ex only ever drove it once. She didn't mind the noise, she even feel asleep in it once, but she did nearly crash it twice due to the non-servoed brakes.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

cliftyhanger

posted on 1/6/14 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
For a cheap solution try the rubber carpet underlay. Seemed very effective in my old spitfire when doing the "2000 miles in 48 hours" event. I use it in my current triumph saloon, a life on the boot floor, another vertically behind the rear seats, and under the carpets inside.
Seems stuff needs to be heavy to actually work.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.