Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Putting Mega flow in a hole in the floor
James

posted on 29/5/14 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Putting Mega flow in a hole in the floor

Seems the time for property/boiler related questions so here's mine.

We would like to put a megaflo-type system in our house. The best place is cupboard under the stairs. However the 'ceiling' of the highest bit is about 1800mm and the 300lt vertical megaflos are taller than this. A horizontal one won't fit.

So, could I dig a ~500mm pit in the floor give it a 'proper' floor of its own with its own brick walls and sit the mega flow in the pit? The pit would be against an external wall.

The current floor of the house (built 1964) is soil with a layer of small rubble, a load of large rubble and then a concrete slab.

Other alternative is the loft but supporting ~350kg will need a lot of reinforcing and inconvenience the planned loft conversion!

Thanks,
James

I'm also investigating other manufacturers to see if they do a short, fat tank but have been recommended to stick with megaflo.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

cliftyhanger

posted on 29/5/14 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if you have a DPC in the floor, ours is a 50's house and doesn't. But that would be my concern, tanking it out. Should be OK with vandex or similar.
Not sure how building regs would view it, or if I would even ask.
But have a think about footings. To go 500mm down, you need to go at least 600mm to get just a 4" of concrete in there. And you will probably be below the existing footings. Easy enough to sort though.

snapper

posted on 29/5/14 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
You'll break through any damp course as I assume its a concrete base so you'll have to tank it or ground water could rise

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

matt_gsxr

posted on 29/5/14 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Not wanting to redesign your house, but 300litre one sounds very big.

Ours is 145litres and we (2 kids, 1 wife, large bath) don't run out of hot water.

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Wadders

posted on 29/5/14 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
300L is pretty big, you might well get away with a smaller one unless you have several bathrooms and loads of occupants

Megaflow are good, but there are loads of equally good alternatives.

Fit a twin coil solar cylinder they don't cost much more, you can always retro fit the panels/solar kit at a later date to spread cost.

Nothing wrong with the pit idea as long as you can make it watertight and leave enough room round the cylinder for pipework
installation and future maintenance.

big-vee-twin

posted on 30/5/14 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
MacDonald engineering will custom build a cylinder to your dims.

Megaflow are good but also expensive.

A 200 litre cylinder should be enough I would have thought, as a rule of thumb I use 50 litres a bedroom.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

James

posted on 22/6/14 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help with this folks.

quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
300L is pretty big, you might well get away with a smaller one unless you have several bathrooms and loads of occupants

Megaflow are good, but there are loads of equally good alternatives.

Fit a twin coil solar cylinder they don't cost much more, you can always retro fit the panels/solar kit at a later date to spread cost.

Which other manufacturers would you recommend as being as good as Megaflo but cheaper? I spotted a Worcester one (greenstore) but no idea how good it is compared to a JAB DUC or anyone else!

One thing I like about the Megaflo is they do the 'system fit' model which is pre-built with all the extras. Do other manufacturers do this with theirs? Any examples?

It's to probably go with a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i (as recommended by the Gas Safe plumber I talked to awhile ago.

Thanks!
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.