Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: suzuki gsx carbs over fueling
qwerty_100

posted on 31/5/14 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
suzuki gsx carbs over fueling

Good evening all, I have finally got my Vauxhall red top running on gsxr carbs the only issue is there are two small holes on the front of the carbs were the air box goes and fuel is squirting out of the left one it is worse on the bank feeding cylinder 3&4 things I have done so far.
1) striped down and cleaned and made sure the valve is closing, and it is.
2) I am using a pump from Kawasaki ZZR 1100 plus have tried two regulators down to 1 psi according to the gauge.
3) filled external tank and gravity feed the carbs and this was even worse.
Is this just a case of using a very low pressure pump like a solid state facet. The fuel comes out a quite a rate but as said have had pressure right down. Does anyone know of this issue and could it be a fault or just keep trying many thanks all.
Kev

sjmatthews

posted on 31/5/14 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Check the float levels?...

I'll be in the garage dear!

matt_gsxr

posted on 31/5/14 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
gsxr carbs were all gravity fed (no pumps) in the bike install.
I ran mine with a zx9 pump and it was alright enough to pass SVA, but did get the odd leak (scary in a fibreglass car), so I swapped to EFI.

A complete refurb kit might have fixed it, but this was quite expensive and I fancied EFI.

The general advice for bike carbs is to use bike fuel pump as the pressure is nice and low.

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Dingz

posted on 31/5/14 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Kev check the needle valves again, bike carbs seem to be more sensitive to grit than 'normal' carbs. also what have you done with the breathers, they should be just left open.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

qwerty_100

posted on 1/6/14 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys
I will go and check/set the float heights and recheck and clean the needle valves, I am using a pump from ZZR1100 but this may be to powerful will try and locate one from ZX9 once again thanks for all the help will let you know how I get on later cheers Kev

maccmike

posted on 1/6/14 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Your pump cuts off when your floats are full, so that aint your problem. Where is it overfueling?
qwerty_100

posted on 1/6/14 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
That seems to be the problem the pump slows but does not shut of when bowls are full, have tried a second pump and this does the same I have taken carbs off again and am setting float heights but I suspect that the needle valves may need replacing. The fuel is coming out of the air jet on the left hand side on the front of the carb. I have read that these carbs need very little pressure so maybe an even weaker pump???? Just grabing at straws now but will eliminate one thing at a time. When it runs it does sound good though cheers for all the continued help Kev
qwerty_100

posted on 1/6/14 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Am I one happy bunny. Reset float heights cleaned again jets and needles again as soon as I heard pump run then stop I knew it was fixed. A massive thanks to all for your help and advise keeping sain and focused always helps cheers Kev

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.