Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: kit car endurance racing formula?
FuryRebuild

posted on 5/6/14 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
kit car endurance racing formula?

Hi

Does anyone know of a kit-car specific endurance racing formula? I used to endurance-race carts and would like to potentially compete again in endurance - it's a very different approach to sprinting, hill-climbing, etc?

I wonder what's involved in setting one up if it's not been done before? I assume it's a full-time job and would require the governance of someone like BARC.

Any ideas?

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

jwhatley

posted on 5/6/14 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
The 750mc does a 6 hour team endurance. Open to all 750mc formulas though.
SALAD

posted on 5/6/14 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if there is, but there should be.
StevieB

posted on 6/6/14 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
^^^^^^ yep! definitely should be.

FuryRebuild

posted on 6/6/14 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Definitely should be - i would hope it was quite open to allow individual flair and creativity to come to the fore; even to the point of letting engines be free - those with monster screamers would be forever refuelling, balancing it against the more conservative tune. Maybe classes could be grouped on power-to-weight, so the more conservative budget can still be competitive?

Any other ideas?

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

StevieB

posted on 6/6/14 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
The Northern Sports and Saloons series has a reasonably open set of regs which could be easily adopted and amended.

Power to weight is a good way of defining classes, but in practice would it potentially add expense and complication to scrutineering in proving the power outputs?

I'd go with a split of BEC/CEC's and then again for front and rear engines.

FuryRebuild

posted on 6/6/14 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
I wonder if it's the kind of thing one could take to them and ask if they could organise something?

One way would be to have a set of rollers on site, and quickly do an independent power-run as part of scrutineering? could be a bit of a hassle, but may be workable?

or we could all be chaps, and present our power curves to scruitineering?

otherwise, bec, cec, front and read is a nice simple way of doing it

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

Ugg10

posted on 6/6/14 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Power to weight ratio classes is used in the BMW and MR2 challenges IIRC. Think they do it at the beginning of every season and then tag each car to make sure it has not had work don on it i.e. head off, sump off, ECU map produced/stored etc.

[Edited on 6/6/14 by Ugg10]

djtom

posted on 6/6/14 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
The Guild of Motor Endurance used to run 6 hour endurance events a few years ago - I did one of them and it was brilliant. Strictly speaking (presumably for insurance reasons) it was NOT a race, but was a "timed regularity event". Could have fooled me

I'm not sure if they are still doing them, but it might be worth a google search.

FuryRebuild

posted on 6/6/14 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi ugg10 - interesting about sealing the engines though - bearing mind we're a bunch of inveterate tinkerers I wonder how practical that is. Saying that, if it's a one or two-off event per year, we could probably go for a set of rollers on site.

cheers
M

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

StevieB

posted on 6/6/14 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon something could be put together in conjunction with one of the more local clubs - Darlington motor club or just approaching the owners of Blyton Park maybe. Essentially it could be done as little more than a track day with a few more rules thrown over the top to get it off the ground and keep organisation down.

Depending on the level of the event, you could just say that people have to put themselves into a class of their own deciding in terms of power to weight and be forever labelled a cheat if they lie.

FuryRebuild

posted on 6/6/14 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB

Depending on the level of the event, you could just say that people have to put themselves into a class of their own deciding in terms of power to weight and be forever labelled a cheat if they lie.

StevieB - I think you speak the truth there - a chap's word is his honour.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

D Beddows

posted on 6/6/14 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
'A chaps word is his honour'??!??

You lads haven't been involved in much racing have you

StevieB

posted on 6/6/14 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
'A chaps word is his honour'??!??

You lads haven't been involved in much racing have you

I understand that someone will always try and gain unfair advantage (and there's always someone on every Trackday who thinks they can 'win'.

If you're putting together a serious race series then everything needs to be nailed down properly etc. but, in my view, if you're trying to throw together what should be a budget, fun event then you just have to leave it up to the people participating not to ruin it for everyone else. But that's why the BEC/CEC front/rear engine thing works because it's easy and clear where you belong.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.