Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Black Intercoolers Myth
Digimon

posted on 17/6/14 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Black Intercoolers Myth

Has anyone else seen this, I'm completely amazed that some black paint can make that much difference.

I can't see why this wouldn't work on the radiator as well, if it really works that well it would be handy the next time I get stuck in traffic lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1QL9veQaNg

loggyboy

posted on 17/6/14 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Seems pointless to me, the key point is that intercoolers and rads (slightly less so in rads) are only any use when airflow is present.
The idea of an intercooler is to add power, but who wants more power when your not moving?!

For rads, whilst it might help reduce when the fan kicks in when in traffic, but the moment the fan blows the benefit is lost.

[Edited on 17-6-14 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

NigeEss

posted on 17/6/14 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Ermm...Anyone who has done O level Physics should know black is best for temperature transfer.

Just try wearing a black shirt (or ride a motorbike in full leathers ) on a sunny day.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

NigeEss

posted on 17/6/14 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Seems pointless to me, the key point is that intercoolers and rads (slightly less so in rads) are only any use when airflow is present.
The idea of an intercooler is to add power, but who wants more power when your not moving?!

For rads, whilst it might help reduce when the fan kicks in when in traffic, but the moment the fan blows the benefit is lost.

[Edited on 17-6-14 by loggyboy]

Pointless ???

Why is improving the efficiency of a cooling device pointless ?

Can't believe you said that

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Digimon

posted on 17/6/14 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
The way im looking at it is, you might be better recovery times from this because its not getting as hot at slower speeds where the air flow is minimal ?
matt_gsxr

posted on 17/6/14 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Black body radiation is pretty well understood ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-body_radiation ), so throwing some numbers at this:

110deg C radiator temperature
25deg C ambient temperature

Radiator area 0.25 sqm (i.e. 0.5m x 0.5m)
sigma 5.67x10^-8
Power = (T1^4 - T2^4) * Area * sigma

Gives you a net power dissipation from a radiator being "perfectly" black as 200W.

Think how long a kettle would take to boil if it were 200W (they are normally 3000W).
Radiation is not a significant mechanism. Paint it if it make you happy, but I think the paint will just add an additional layer of insulation to the air which is conducting the heat away (the dominant cooling mechanism).

For an intercooler the effect will be smaller still owing to the lower temperatures.

Matt

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

bi22le

posted on 17/6/14 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
Ermm...Anyone who has done O level Physics should know black is best for temperature transfer.

Just try wearing a black shirt (or ride a motorbike in full leathers ) on a sunny day.

I thought that this was more to do with absorbsion of light and energy that creates the heat. Temperature transfer, I thought is nothing to do with colour. Its the vibration of molecules that distributes heat.

Either way I agree with a previous comment regarding the insulation factor that the thin layer of paint would create.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

whitestu

posted on 17/6/14 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
You'd have to make sure the sunlight couldn't hit it or you'd have the opposite effect on a sunny day.
coyoteboy

posted on 17/6/14 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
OK here's a field where I can step in with some experience...

Black paint will help significantly if radiation is the ONLY heat transfer mechanism you have(i.e. zero airflow as they show). The second you add forced convection to the mix, or conduction, you essentially negate the radiation component. Black paint does indeed help radiate heat faster to the environment, but it also provides a thermal barrier between fins and air. At zero airflow you MAY see an increase in transfer (you may not, depends on the the paint used, the previous condition of the rad surface and the thickness of the paint) but above zero air speed you're better off with no barrier between the surfaces.

Since intercoolers are generally designed to work when moving, all this will do is increase the time to heatsoak when stopped, which for most driving isn't an issue.

Not worth the effort.

CNHSS1

posted on 17/6/14 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
black paint will add extra layer of insulation, although as to how effective/ineffective is a moot point, should be black anodised or chemically blackened imho

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

coyoteboy

posted on 17/6/14 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Black anodising adds insulation too, about the same thickness.

CNHSS1

posted on 17/6/14 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Black anodising adds insulation too, about the same thickness.

disagree, you ain't seen my painting lol

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

adithorp

posted on 17/6/14 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Black body radiation is pretty well understood ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-body_radiation ), so throwing some numbers at this:

110deg C radiator temperature
25deg C ambient temperature

Radiator area 0.25 sqm (i.e. 0.5m x 0.5m)
sigma 5.67x10^-8
Power = (T1^4 - T2^4) * Area * sigma

Gives you a net power dissipation from a radiator being "perfectly" black as 200W.

Think how long a kettle would take to boil if it were 200W (they are normally 3000W).
Radiation is not a significant mechanism. Paint it if it make you happy, but I think the paint will just add an additional layer of insulation to the air which is conducting the heat away (the dominant cooling mechanism).

For an intercooler the effect will be smaller still owing to the lower temperatures.

Matt

...says the man with the bubbling car...

If you have no problem with cooling there's no point. If your cooling is marginal (especially when stationary) then everylittlebit helps. Just keep the paint to one thin coat.

PS. Matt would you scoff at a kettle that saved you 7% electricity?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

loggyboy

posted on 17/6/14 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Alsi, I think I would be more concerned with the paint thickness restricting the airflow than how much it insulates.

Mistral Motorsport

luke2152

posted on 17/6/14 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
I believe the Garrett website suggests you can paint an intercooler black with 'no significant disadvantage' for that stealth look...no mention of any advantage
Digimon

posted on 17/6/14 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
There is lots of interesting reply's on this

screenshots from the video

With air flow, no real improvement

With no air flow, quite a dramatic change

I properly wouldn't do this on my kit car but I think on the Sierra Cosworth I had it would be interesting to see if there was any real world difference

smart51

posted on 17/6/14 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Why is the painted one worse when there is airflow?
Digimon

posted on 17/6/14 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51

Its 3 degrees cooler

The seconded photo is also unclear, it shows much temperature has been taken off the temperature entering the cooler

smart51

posted on 17/6/14 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Digimon
quote:

Its 3 degrees cooler

The seconded photo is also unclear, it shows much temperature has been taken off the temperature entering the cooler

It's 3 degrees less temperature drop isn't it?

Benzine

posted on 17/6/14 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
So if I'm doing a burnout then a black intercooler is best. Nice.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Digimon

posted on 17/6/14 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It's 3 degrees less temperature drop isn't it?

Yes its cooling the air 3 degrees more than the non painted intercooler

quote:
Originally posted by Benzine

Now that's the sort of reply I was hoping for lol

coyoteboy

posted on 17/6/14 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
No, it's 3 degrees LESS temperature drop across the intercooler (i.e. first one was 100 (200(in)in-100(out) = 100(delta)), black one was 97 (200(in)-103(out)=97(delta)). It's the insulating effect of the paint (if their measurements are half decent - though I wouldn't exactly call that a scientifically repeatable setup).

It's no myth, it's a set of well understood, well researched, well documented (and taught at engineering classes across the world) features. As said at the start, painting it black will help when there's no airflow (when radiation is dominant), when it's got airflow the paint will be a thermal barrier and it'll be LESS efficient. Since most of the time you're moving, you DONT want to paint your IC.

[Edited on 17/6/14 by coyoteboy]

[Edited on 17/6/14 by coyoteboy]

smart51

posted on 17/6/14 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
No, it's 3 degrees LESS temperature drop across the intercooler (i.e. first one was 100 (200(in)in-100(out) = 100(delta)), black one was 97 (200(in)-103(out)=97(delta)). It's the insulating effect of the paint (if their measurements are half decent - though I wouldn't exactly call that a scientifically repeatable setup).

It's no myth, it's a set of well understood, well researched, well documented (and taught at engineering classes across the world) features. As said at the start, painting it black will help when there's no airflow (when radiation is dominant), when it's got airflow the paint will be a thermal barrier and it'll be LESS efficient. Since most of the time you're moving, you DONT want to paint your IC.

Thought so, thanks!

mcerd1

posted on 18/6/14 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine

but what if you stuck a fan on the intercooler ?

then you'd get the airflow all the time and better cooling than any amount of black paint in still air

-

02GF74

posted on 19/6/14 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
coyoteboy got it spot on.

in fact, it has been shown that having a matt surface is nearly as significant as the colour when heat transfer by radiation is concerned.

bascially it ain't worth doing for a radiator/intercooler that is using forced air through it for cooling..... but should make a difference for your central heating radiators if the matt balck fits in with the decor.

[Edited on 19/6/14 by 02GF74]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.