Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Le Mans trip. I'm back but the car isn't...Flux rescue
AndyW

posted on 18/6/14 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Le Mans trip. I'm back but the car isn't...Flux rescue

Well, the first long road trip is done. Drove to Le Mans last Thursday, great drive without any problems and about 430 miles there. The weekend was great, some amazing cars both on and off the track. I was warned about lack of sleep and how true that was.

Packed up early Monday morning and began the trip home. Alas, after only 65 miles my car started to miss fire badly on throttle. Eventually she gave up and would not drive. She started on the button every time but as soon as you tried to apply throttle she would cough and splutter and just not go. Gutted.....

After a 4 hour wait for breakdown, they agreed to put car on low loader and take her to Calais and put her on the ferry. it was arranged that a recovery truck would be in dover waiting to collect and take home. After what seemed like hours and hours in the cab of the lorry we arrived at Calais. P&O ferry refused to take my car on board as a break down despite telling the recovery they would. They then unloaded the car and drove off leaving me stranded in Calais. After loads of phone calls they decided to have the car re patriated. another 2 hour wait for another recovery truck. I then had to change my ticket from a car passenger of foot passenger. managed to get the 11pm ferry. Now I was stranded in dover with another 150 miles still to go to get home. Recovery service eventually put a taxi on for me.

Finally got home at 4.30am nearly 24 hours after I first broke down.

Home without my car is gutting, not knowing where she is, and how long I will have to wait.

All in, a great weekend except the last day.

What was even more disappointing was that whilst I sat by the side of the road, I had 6 locost/caterham/westfield/seven type cars go by and not one stopped. We had a guy in an Elise stop to see if they could help, but was probably because we had an exige in our convoy. If I saw a "7" broken down I would at least have stopped to see if I could offer any assistance rather than just drive by. My expectations of others is obviously too high.

Lets hope my car is back soon, I get her fixed and back out again!!

Cheers

Andy

[Edited on 18/6/14 by AndyW]

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 18/6/14 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
I would've stopped!

Where is the car now then?

AndyW

posted on 18/6/14 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
It was taken from the port back to garage/recovery place in Calais. Just a waiting game now as to how soon they can get it back.

Thanks for the offer to stop too!!

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 18/6/14 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
cant you shoot over with a trailer and just drag it back yourself?
whitestu

posted on 18/6/14 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Bad luck!
pekwah1

posted on 18/6/14 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Unlucky, i also went, was going to ask if anyone else did.
Saw quite a few kits, couple of catering vans, stuart taylor etc!

CC Cyclone

posted on 18/6/14 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Don't panic but I would find anyway to get a trailer and go get it, of send someone to get it. I had the misfortune to be in a convey in France where a Westfield broke down. It went to a recovery yard and was repatriated four weeks later, missing most of the interior, throttle bodies and spare wheel and having been sat in the rain for a month.

Trailer hire is fairly cheap or failing that you could try and get someone from shiply?

carpmart

posted on 18/6/14 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
I have a trailer here you can borrow Andy.

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

adithorp

posted on 18/6/14 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CC Cyclone
Don't panic but I would find anyway to get a trailer and go get it, of send someone to get it. I had the misfortune to be in a convey in France where a Westfield broke down. It went to a recovery yard and was repatriated four weeks later, missing most of the interior, throttle bodies and spare wheel and having been sat in the rain for a month.

Trailer hire is fairly cheap or failing that you could try and get someone from shiply?

Freinds of mine have had cars recovered/repatriated from france on 5 occations over the years and in all caces all arrived intact. It did take a few weeks though.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

computid

posted on 19/6/14 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
I to have a trailer you can borrow if you need it. Near Leighton Buzzard.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.