Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Luego Viento V8 First Start
Irony

posted on 23/6/14 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Luego Viento V8 First Start

After nearly five long years and cobbling an engine together with zero mechanical experience I have finally got my V8 Viento started!!!

After refusing to start due to no spark I swapped the crank sensor wires around (the old ones are still the best)and she turned over and fired straight away. Only running on four cylinders.

Found the coil problem. I had crimped a connector over the wire insulation and not the wire. The metal part of the wire was sitting down in the bullet without actually touching it! Started on all 8 then.

The sound isn't great because I think its too loud. No way is it passing the 99db limit for the IVA.

franky

posted on 23/6/14 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
well done
scudderfish

posted on 23/6/14 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent! The other fun way to cock it up (assuming EDIS) is to get the wires to two sides of a coil pack confused. Just stick some large exhaust cans on for the IVA and then put those nice ones back on later. My Fury only has a single cherry bomb 'silencer' on it
Irony

posted on 23/6/14 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I can't get my megajolt to communicate with my laptop. It's the old Serial to USB adapter problem. Thinking of buying a crappy lappy just for this. The Megajolt system could be working with its original settings (bought it used from another Rover V8 owner) but it might be running in EDIS 'limp home' mode.
Chris_Xtreme

posted on 23/6/14 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
great work that man !!

always double the fun with the v8

scudderfish

posted on 23/6/14 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I can't get my megajolt to communicate with my laptop. It's the old Serial to USB adapter problem. Thinking of buying a crappy lappy just for this. The Megajolt system could be working with its original settings (bought it used from another Rover V8 owner) but it might be running in EDIS 'limp home' mode.

Get an adapter with the FTDI chipset. You probably have a Prolific PL2303 (or more likely a very crappy copy of) and they suck.

You can test if it is in limp home or not by switching off the megajolt and seeing if there is any difference.

SteveWallace

posted on 23/6/14 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Well done that man, great progress. Doesn't look like you've got much more to do to get to IVA.

With regard to the noise, you will recall that I had some problems on that front. I ended up buying a straight DB killer off e-bay, which I fixed into the end of the can with a couple of twists of lock wire. I couldn't just put it in the end of the pipe due to the bend. It dropped the noise from 102DB ish to just below 99.

wilkingj

posted on 29/6/14 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
quote:
Originally posted by Irony

Get an adapter with the FTDI chipset. You probably have a Prolific PL2303 (or more likely a very crappy copy of) and they suck.

You can test if it is in limp home or not by switching off the megajolt and seeing if there is any difference.

Definately... Get a FTDI chip one. Prolific chipsets are a real pain, mainly down to copies of the chip and cloned drivers.
cheapre than a laptop!

Geoff

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Irony

posted on 29/6/14 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Upplugged the megajolt and no change in the running of the engine. I assume the mj is not working. I have a few people donating old laptops so I will see what happens.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.