Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Can anyone else hear ringing?
DavidM

posted on 27/6/14 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone else hear ringing?

The clues are there. From the description I'd say the seller may already know.

OUTSTANDING MG MIDGET SPEEDWELL SPECIAL

[Edited on 27/6/14 by DavidM]

Proportion is Everything

Slimy38

posted on 27/6/14 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I think I saw that on here last week or perhaps earlier? It was probably an 'AFICIONADO' on here that pointed out its age!
snakebelly

posted on 27/6/14 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
mind you at least it has a period engine and gearbox better effort than your usual, its a Dutton built this year efforts!
prawnabie

posted on 27/6/14 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Built in the 70's my arse!
K13JOB

posted on 27/6/14 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
As the owner of a real 1970s car I personally don't see anything that means it wasn't originally built in the 70s.

Nice new repro Dunlops, quite fancy a set for my Jeffrey.

The real problem is the "REGISTERED AS MG MIDGET"

cliftyhanger

posted on 28/6/14 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
I can hear ringing right now
Bloody house alarm going off. Did it about 4am too, seems to stay on for ever (probably 30mins, but I was trying to sleep)

now that little car is pretty sweet. Shame it isn't registered properly, but there are loads of cars in the same position out there. No way ebay can check all this stuff out either, bit of buyer beware and so on. MoT testers don't car either, surely that would be the simplist way of rooting these out (followed by a VIC type check) in the same way some cars don't need IVA.

Besides, no worse in my eyes than building a car the satisfy the IVA, then pull many of the bits off and so on. Can't have it both ways......

matt_claydon

posted on 28/6/14 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
Ringing is illegal, modifying your car post-IVA isn't (as long as it still complies with C&U and lighting regulations, which are pretty loose).
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 28/6/14 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Clifty - I find it far worse than you do, but that's my perspective.

What I (believe) we have here in this non-Duttonian example is a spaceframe (yes, not even part of tha chassis seems to have been left there) sevenesque car driving around registered as a historic MG Midget. This is surely illegal, and for good reason, whatever the insurance company feels about all this won't help in the event that the driver of this car collides with you.

Should I take an IVA'd Westfield and chop thing to bits post-IVA, surely that's entirely OK legally. The car will be correctly registered, will have an MoT to confirm that it's still 'safe' and the insurance company would be informed of the modifications.

Interesting addition here is my Land Rover, being pre-1960 it doesn't require an MoT (though I did take it for one last month). If I now use that identity on my current build, I can avoid even an MoT check?... just hope I don't collide with you.

MikeRJ

posted on 28/6/14 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
Should I take an IVA'd Westfield and chop thing to bits post-IVA, surely that's entirely OK legally.

Not if you make any significant alternations to the chassis.

Fred W B

posted on 3/7/14 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
No way that car was built before the book was first published in 1996. Just look at the front corner picture and the cockpit proportions.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

alfas

posted on 11/7/14 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
this car is a 101%locost!!!

check out the chassis pics and you will see!!!

and too many things on the car indicate that it was originally built with SVA in mind...and when did came SVA? NOT in the 70ies!!!

it came 1996 as i remember...and when did ron champions book came on the market?

1996 too!!!

by the way:

the car was already discussed and clearly identified as Locost here:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/2/viewthread.php?tid=191784

anyway...it is how it is, but it must be said: the car looks nice and well built...so from that point of view i would like it in my garage...but from the registration-side not...at least not for that price.

[Edited on 11/7/14 by alfas]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.