Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine not starting when hot
leon51274

posted on 1/7/14 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Engine not starting when hot

Hi Chaps

I know this has been covered many times but I could just do with a bit of input.

Standard 2.0 silvertop Zetec running Jenvey throttle bodies.
Turns over and starts fine when cold but when hot it doesn't want to turn over unless I have a booster attached then no problem.

Initially after doing searches to see how others have gone about sorting the problem, I came to the conclusion that a high torque starter was going to be the order of the day. However, I'm running a dunnel flywheel so figured I'd give Paul a call to clarify the amount of teeth on the flywheel ring gear. Paul has suggested that the battery which is 300a cranking power is nowhere near up to the job and I could do with something along the lines of 600a cranking. As it stands Paul is a bit of an expect when it comes to the zetec so I'm no position to doubt what he's saying, but it would be nice to have some feedback from you guys so I know the exact route to take.

I've already looked at some batteries and at that size they seem bloody heavy, so if this is the route to take can anyone suggest a type/manufacturer of battery for the job?

Many thanks
Leon

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/7/14 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Could you not hook up another battery of around 300a with jump leads so it's in parallel and see if that solves the problem before you fork out for a new battery? The effect would be the same as a 600a battery

I'd also check the terminals for cleanliness and look at upping the cable size first and/or moving the battery as close as possible to the starter

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
leon51274

posted on 1/7/14 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Yea not a bad idea.

Terminals are all new so no problem there and the battery couldn't get any closer to the starter to be honest.

I'll have a look at the cable sizes but I'm pretty sure they are fairly meaty.

Cheers

MikeRJ

posted on 1/7/14 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
If it's running standard compression than a standard starter motor should suffice, provided it's in good condition. Which starter are you using?

Cables and connections are also critical, and whilst a 300CCA battery is definitely on the small side for a 2.0L engine, if it starts when cold then it should be ok.

leon51274

posted on 1/7/14 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Yes standard compression and a brand new standard bosch starter motor.

Like I say no problem when cold but when hot you just can't risk turning it off unless its going to be sat for 30 mins to cool down.

AndyW

posted on 1/7/14 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
My blacktop did exactly the same as this to start with, put brand new starter on and problem solved. I was using a second hand starter which worked fine when cold.
Mr Whippy

posted on 1/7/14 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd take the plugs out and try turning it by hand while hot to see if the engine is built too tight, may be an indication that the clearances are wrong somewhere. Usually they turn over faster when hot not slower.

Only other thing I can think of is your starter getting cooked from the exhaust?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daveb666

posted on 2/7/14 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Had the same issue - turned out to be a poo starter motor.

My battery is a tiny tiny redtop race battery so wouldn't have thought cranking was the issue.

If it were me - borrow a battery off a diesel or similiar. Go for a drive. wait for it to get hot. See if the issue is still there.

If it is, you know the issue is not with the battery.

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

leon51274

posted on 2/7/14 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daveb666
Had the same issue - turned out to be a poo starter motor.

My battery is a tiny tiny redtop race battery so wouldn't have thought cranking was the issue.

If it were me - borrow a battery off a diesel or similiar. Go for a drive. wait for it to get hot. See if the issue is still there.

If it is, you know the issue is not with the battery.

Cheers mate

Currently got a beefy battery on charge ready to go in so i'll see if it is the battery or the starter getting cooked. The starter is brand new so I'm hoping its just the battery thats not up to the job.

02GF74

posted on 4/7/14 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
That is unusual. Clearances are tighter on a cold engine so there is more friction.

Sounds like some mechanical component doesnt like the heat.

Check wiring the heat causes metal to expand so a conection may be getting loose.

Check starter motor same isse with heat giving bad connection thus highe r resistance. Check starter solenoid.

leon51274

posted on 10/7/14 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Morning chaps

Just a quick follow up on this just in case anyone else comes across these issues.

After me being almost convinced the starter was getting cooked by the exhaust manifold, it was suggested to first try a battery with more cranking amps. The battery at the time was kicking out 300cca so I decided to put one on that was 600cca, problem sorted! Turns over no problem when hot now but as an extra precaution I also made a 3mm thick Aluminium cover plate with a layer of heat reflective matting to shroud the starter....just in case!

Cheers for the advice
Leon

bob

posted on 11/10/14 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Same solve here.

I've changed from 380 CCa battery to 540 CCa and the engine spins up as fast hot as it does cold.

K13JOB

posted on 11/10/14 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Wiring, check the power leads and earth leads to the starter and engine, often these are degraded causing bad starting.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.