Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rust on back of bonnet /pinhole
Dale

posted on 9/7/14 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Rust on back of bonnet /pinhole

Good morning
For legality reasons (in Canada) I am using a fair bit of original body panels on my build. I am using the original bonnet,scuttlewith vin plate, and boot although all are not quite in the shape they started in. This keeps me on the grey side of being what you call a ringer, and allows me to keep it registered as a 72 mgb.
What I have after stripping down the bonnet is rust under the reinforcement areas that when sideways under bonnet. I have just used the angry grinder so far on it and would sand blast it but I am afraid of warping the hood. I think it will be too thin to mig the pin holes ( I will likely find at least one more.) Would a metal based filler work to fill in from the back side and would it stick with the under hood temps of a turbo engine. Is there an etching solution to get down to the bare metal better than the wire twist wheel before doing so.

Thanks
Dale

[Edited on 9/7/14 by Dale]

[Edited on 9/7/14 by Dale]

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

stevebubs

posted on 9/7/14 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
for small holes like that, I'd be tempted to braze some metal in...
Dale

posted on 10/7/14 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote
I may try putting some brass in there but I really dont want to warp it either.

Thanks
Dale

and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

sebastiaan

posted on 10/7/14 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
You could try and get some silicon bronze mig wire? Have a look on google.
mark chandler

posted on 10/7/14 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Have you thought about soft solder, if it gets hot enough to melt this then your paint will be bubbling up by then!

As it's a pin hole just clean, flux put a bobble of solder on top and flash the plumbing torch at it, minimal/zero distortion if you are quick and have a narrow flame.

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/7/14 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
seriously though... how could they ever tell it was the original donor steel used in the panel?! your even painting it
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dale

posted on 10/7/14 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
I am documenting it with pictures. I have shots from when I first started and started on the body work of the mgb. The local motor vehicle office was show pics when I asked about registration and there were no problems as long as it was pre 1980 but could not be registered as a historic vehicle because of the modifications.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.