Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust silencer modification to 3"
jon200

posted on 12/7/14 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust silencer modification to 3"

Hiya,

I've just got my Nissan Sr20det (2.0 turbo) powered locost on the road and am using the original silencer which is 2" bore. The restriction is okish but it's just too quiet. The silencer is a Raw-Striker jobbie so is repackable.

I would like to know if anyone has cut out and fitted a larger perforated tube to make it 3" bore? What size perf tube would I need to allow standard 3" stainless pipe to slide inside it for strength?

Jon

mark chandler

posted on 12/7/14 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Cannot comment on the can you have, I put 3" perforated tube into my gutted R1 can with some wadding around the outside when I put a turbo on mine, the noise was over 105db, cost me a track day at Goodwood although to listen to it the car was a lot quieter by ear to some of the other cars with big induction noise.

Regards Mark

posted on 13/7/14 at 05:40 AM Reply With Quote
With Mark's post ^^^ in mind have you considered increasing to 2.5 inch?

Without going to too many decimal places from 2" o/d to 2.5" o/d is an increase of 59% on the cross sectional area of the bore.

Paul G

ashg

posted on 13/7/14 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
as paul says 2.5 inch will be fine (paul makes exhaust systems all day btw!) im guessing you have a standard t28 turbo on the engine. i have a 2.5 on mine and the later ball bearing t28 off an s15, just the right amount of noise without restricting the engine. going 3 inch on a t28 is a real pain as you need a bigger exit elbow and 3 inch down pipe to get the benefit, but having a 3 inch elbow makes it pretty difficult to get the nuts on between the turbo outlet and the elbow.

edit. what i did on mine was grind out the cast elbow with a die grinder to match it out to the 2.5 inch system. that made more difference than anything.

[Edited on 13/7/2014 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

posted on 13/7/14 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg

(paul makes exhaust systems all day btw!)

Noooooooo I don't. I usually stop for dinner.

Paul G

CNHSS1

posted on 13/7/14 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Jon
If you decide you need a repackable 3" silencer in your life, Dermot Healey had some ex GT car silencers. I bought one ages ago, nicely built not too heavy, pukka bit of kit

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

jon200

posted on 13/7/14 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
It's got a 3" elbow on and a pair of 3" bends to exit the car. If the consensus is 2.5" I will go with that and see what happens. Is there a special way to workout how much wadding to put back into the can or is it just trial and error. I guess the tighter it's packed the noisier it will be but better flowing?

Any idea what sizes the 3" bore Gt silencers were? One for the road and one for track maybe

luke2152

posted on 13/7/14 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Remember a turbo engine will be much quieter with a 3" then an NA with 3"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.