Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: which battery cable terminal crimp tool?
blakep82

posted on 20/7/14 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
which battery cable terminal crimp tool?

There seems to be loads...
I've got quite a few cables to do, battery and earth cables on the truck, welder return lead needs attention, and the amp power and earth cables need looking at in my car too, so at least 6 there. I'm thinking I could invest in the right tool

Theres so many types, and prices, what do you suggest?
Im guessing 16mm2 is the smallest I'd need?
Theres spring loaded punches, that you hammer down
Ratchets that stick a dent in the top
Ratchets that crimp to a hexagon shape

Ive bought quite a few cheap crimp terminal tools, 10 quid a time and they're quite good, I expect these to cost more, so 30 quid or so?

So which of these?
Heavy Duty Spring Loaded Crimping Tool/Punch For Tube &' Battery Terminals | eBay
ntitled Document

Heavy Duty Crimp Tool - Cable Lug Crimper for Copper Tube Terminals 6 - 50mm2

Non-insulated terminals Ratchet Terminal Crimping plier AWG10-4 5.5-25mm²

I can't find the hex type just now

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

craig

posted on 20/7/14 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
The second one is the best type but dont expect it to be great as a quality crimp tool usually retails for around £120.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BHMK8.html?source=adwords&kw=&gclid=CNfCuZfC1L8CFW-WtAodwhEA1g

[Edited on 20/7/14 by craig]

rusty nuts

posted on 20/7/14 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have one of the first type, found it to do a good job but not too easy if using the tool on the car, great if used in a vice
coozer

posted on 20/7/14 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
I was looking through the new Back Street Heroes in the Tescos yesterday and there was a little mention of a company that does the cable, crimps and a heavy duty tool to fasten them together. Totally forgot who but its in the August edition if your in the shops...

Appealed to me cause i m sure it was dirt cheap.... I'll be having another look soon...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

blakep82

posted on 20/7/14 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I just bought one of the ones out my middle link. I didnt post the link for the one ending tonight with no bids in case someone else fancied it 30 quid will do. Maybe not the best quality, but it won't be used 10 times a day every day, so will do me.

Cheers for the recommendations though, craig for saying out of those 3 thats the best type, and rusty for saying about the hammer type, but not ideal for my uses, as some cables can't be moved to the vice

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

DIY Si

posted on 21/7/14 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
The second type is what I use at work for doing mains leccy cables. If it's a decent quality one, it'll do you well.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

rusty nuts

posted on 21/7/14 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Little tip for those that don't have a crimping tool for battery cables which will get you out of trouble is to use a piece of heavy angle iron to lay the cable and terminal into , use a chisel along the terminal and give it a sharp tap with a hammer to form the crimp
02GF74

posted on 25/7/14 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
How often do you want to do this?

If number is single digit the cut a v in a thick piiece of steel put metal in vice
with the crimp in place abd a sort length of dowel about 4 of 5 mm dia.

The dowel will deform the crimp from one side and the metal v stops the crimp
from flattening.

Saves moneh and having a tool that is hardly ever used knocking sbout.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.