Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mk Indy registration oddity
JoelP

posted on 2/8/14 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Mk Indy registration oddity

I went to look at an mk indy earlier today, and was quite puzzled by something so I thought I'd put it to you lot.

The number plate said dutton on the bottom, which obviously set alarmbells 'ringing', so to speak. But on the v5 it said locost, first registered 2007. I can't for the life of me think why the plate said dutton on it, unless someone managed to get the dvla to change the name.

Any ideas? Everything else seemed OK, including displacement and addresses.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

kj

posted on 2/8/14 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
If the v5 is ok he probably put Dutton on the plate to wind people up

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

gingerprince

posted on 2/8/14 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
If the V5 says "locost" then surely that's wrong too as it's an Indy - unless it's an MK Locost not an MK Indy?
Smoking Frog

posted on 2/8/14 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince
If the V5 says "locost" then surely that's wrong too as it's an Indy - unless it's an MK Locost not an MK Indy?

This was my thoughts too. Why register it as a locost.

kj

posted on 2/8/14 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Using parts from Dutton,mine is a mk locost chassis bad mk chassis number but did not register as mk

David Jenkins

posted on 2/8/14 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
As with all things to do with car buying - if something doesn't sound right, or makes you uncomfortable, walk away.

If I was in your shoes, I'd be walking.

britishtrident

posted on 2/8/14 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
What is in small letters on the number plate made in 2007 is of no significance, it could be an owners name, dealers name or the shop that made the plates name.

These days plates must bear the post code of the business that assembled the plate, but you can still get anything that is non-offensive in a tiny font at the bottom of the plate.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

kj

posted on 2/8/14 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Its the v5 what counts

Dick Axtell

posted on 2/8/14 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Why not check via the DVLA registration site? Doesn't that tell you how the vehicle is registered?

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

JoelP

posted on 2/8/14 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers chaps. It's possible it's an mk locost that only got registered in 2007, but I can think of no explanation for the dutton. I'll find the reg number and stick it into some sites and see what comes back - it is a q plate at least. It's more the mystery, as I'm fairly confident that if the vin numbers match it's good to go.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

CosKev3

posted on 3/8/14 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
As above, you can get anything you want printed on the bottom of a number plate, especially if you buy 'show' plates on line or at a show.

I can't really believe you would think anything suspicious of what was written on the bottom of a number plate when the V5 is good and matches the chassis number!!!

As for being registered as a Locost, aren't all seven type cars classed as 'locost'?

iank

posted on 3/8/14 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
As for being registered as a Locost, aren't all seven type cars classed as 'locost'?

No, only cars built to the Ron Champion book design are locost's - strictly speaking. MK did originally build chassis to the book design, but the Indy is a different design.

In previous years you could get your kitcar described as anything you liked on the V5 so long as it wasn't pretending to be something it's wasn't (so not "Ferrari 250GTO" ) but I don't know if that is still allowed on bought chassis designs.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

britishtrident

posted on 3/8/14 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
There is no such thing as book Locost chassis as the book plans aren't anywhere near good enough to build a car from without a fair bit of minor reworking.
IVA. Is individual vehicle type approval if you build a car even using a bought chassis and panels you can call the finished what you want, , just don't try calling it a Caterham.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

CosKev3

posted on 3/8/14 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
There is no such thing as book Locost chassis as the book plans aren't anywhere near good enough to build a car from without a fair bit of minor reworking.
IVA. Is individual vehicle type approval if you build a car even using a bought chassis and panels you can call the finished what you want, , just don't try calling it a Caterham.

This was my understanding of it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.