Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY Log Store
James

posted on 2/8/14 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
DIY Log Store

Anyone built their own log store?

I've collected rather a lot of logs (well the Mrs thinks there's a lot with them piled on the patio and an impending BBQ party end of the month ). It's probably about 4 cubic metres of them (unchopped/unsorted).

So I'm looking to build a fairly aesthetically pleasing log store, on top of a soil area (that previously had the 60' pine tree in it that has supplied about 10% of the logs)

However, I'm also looking to do it on the cheap!

I have a few bits of treated timber lying around and a few pallets I've broken down plus some complete ones and fairly easy access to more from work.

My plan is to set 100mm treated posts into the ground at the corners and the middle. These will make the base supports at 2m x 1m. Then screw 50mm x 100mm to these to make the base.
50mmx100mm x2m verticals topped with a sloped shed-type roof.

I'll then use the pallet slats for the floor and the sides/rear and maybe a shelf at 1m or so.

However, I wonder if I could be doing this a better/more economical way?

The Mrs tells me I'm over-engineering as usual and a couple of pallets sat on concrete pads with the verticals screwed to them will suffice. But I wonder how long the pallets will last!

Cheers,
James

ETA: The store is going on a soil area, not the patio- hence the need for the supports.

[Edited on 2/8/14 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

talkingcars

posted on 2/8/14 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Pallets don't dis-assemble very well, they are generally made with low quaility un treated timber.

You could set some posts in the ground and attach the pallets complete.

David Jenkins

posted on 2/8/14 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Do a quick google - there's lots of log store designs there, mostly from the US of A. Some of them are practical for us UK mortals....

[Edited on 2/8/14 by David Jenkins]

Browser

posted on 2/8/14 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
This is my effort now installed at my mums house. Built from recovered/recycled timber, apart from the roof which is feather edge fence facing. Stores enough for her but she does live in a bungalow :-)

minitici

posted on 2/8/14 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote

James

posted on 2/8/14 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Wow! Do you live in that?

quote:
Originally posted by minitici

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

mark chandler

posted on 2/8/14 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Mine us around 1m high, 4m long with three bays deep enough for two logs with recovered slate roof and we can empty it in two weeks

If you make one think big, #2 will be much larger!

philfingers

posted on 3/8/14 at 05:53 AM Reply With Quote
Mine made from old shipping crates from work 6 or 8 x 2"
This one holds about 2 -2.5 tons of green wood. Faces south so gets the sun, but it's good air flow that dries wood more than anything. I store about 6 tons and burn 4-5 tons a year
It's free standing. There's hard plastic blocks on the base of the legs so the wood isn't in direct contact to the ground. Sits on slabs on about 1 ton of hardcore. You won't tip it over, either unloaded or loaded.
You'll see pics in my thread here. Have more but on such a slow connection I couldn't post them until home
Used corrugated bitumen sheet for the roof with guttering on the back
http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=936&sid=3c7d8c19db9413aac632faf86b6adc1f&start=10

The true home of cars born under the Sylva name - http://jpsc.org.uk/forum

STM Phoenix R1
Sold-Sylva Striker 1300xf, 40s etc
Sold-Sylva Phoenix, 1300xf, BVH, 234cam, 2xDCOE 40s, live axle - 'old school', rally car and a few bikes

martinq357

posted on 3/8/14 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Probably a bit on the small side for your needs but I built these for about £80 the pair.

I put a 'wanted' on Freecycle for timber (for the frame) and ended up with more 2x2, 3x2 etc than I could use. A guy local to me was clearing his very large shed and wanted the timber gone. The featheredge, roof board etc. came from Wickes and treated them to some Cuprinol when completed.

They are approx 110cm L, 170cm H & 45cm W. It's amazing how much they can take and with the airflow around the shelf slats the timber seasons really well.

HTH.

Martin.

snapper

posted on 3/8/14 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
My Log store

I may have got the idea of this thread a bit wrong

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.