Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Building work- is this price ok?
James

posted on 19/8/14 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Building work- is this price ok?

Greetings all,

So we want to do some modifications to our house. I've had the structural engineer round and he's done the plans so the next stage is the builders.

We want to modify 2 walls. One job is to widen the patio doors from 2m to 3m.
We also want to remove the wall between the kitchen and the dining room- this is a supporting wall.

To complicate matters a little the kitchen/dining wall 'connects up' to where we want to widen the patio doors. So the new beams will have to be in a sort of ' T ' shape.

Patio door to widen from 2m to 3m.
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

The patio door to wide and the wall between dining room/kitchen to remove:
[img] DW3
DW3
[/img]

Dining/kitchen other side to remove:
DW4
DW4

The wider patio door will come 'past' this wall into the kitchen.

The builder has given me a 'rough quote' of £2100 for labour only. He says if we're interested he'll work out the rest of the quote in detail.

What I want to know is what people thought of that- bearing in mind it's Surrey prices! lol

ETA: The £2100 is a *Labour only* price. Steels, block work, acro rental etc. etc. is on top of that!

Thanks!
James

[Edited on 20/8/14 by James]

[Edited on 20/8/14 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

twybrow

posted on 19/8/14 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
I had VERY similar work done when we moved into our house (Southampton area) 3 years ago; load bearing wall taken down, and RSJ inserted. Patio door widened to around 2.8m including fitting a wider lintel to suit. We paid £2200 (cash) for the work including the steel and lintel, but excluding the patio door (£300).

So yours looks pretty good to me!

James

posted on 19/8/14 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
I had VERY similar work done when we moved into our house (Southampton area) 3 years ago; load bearing wall taken down, and RSJ inserted. Patio door widened to around 2.8m including fitting a wider lintel to suit. We paid £2200 (cash) for the work including the steel and lintel, but excluding the patio door (£300).

Mine is labour only... the steel (I've no idea how much they are) is extra.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

twybrow

posted on 20/8/14 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
The rsj will depend very much on what your engineer has specified. Ours spanned a 3.6m room and it cost around £200. The majority of the cost is the labour.
Slimy38

posted on 20/8/14 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow

Mine is labour only... the steel (I've no idea how much they are) is extra.

The RSJ's aren't overly expensive. We had to have one custom made and welded up, something to do with reinforcing the bottom plate to spread the load. Even then it was only just into three figures. I suspect your 'T' won't be anything special to the suppliers.

James

posted on 29/8/14 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Well the quote for the beams is £911 inc.

This includes £300inc for the 'Welding and Galvanizing' (fillet welding a plate onto the bottom of one beam to hold the soldier bricks- maybe I should tell them I know how easy this is! lol and god knows why galvanizing- the CE said they only need primer!)

Then a mere £3000 for the bi-fold door!

Cheers,
James

Slimy38

posted on 29/8/14 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

This includes £300inc for the 'Welding and Galvanizing' (fillet welding a plate onto the bottom of one beam to hold the soldier bricks- maybe I should tell them I know how easy this is! lol and god knows why galvanizing- the CE said they only need primer!)

Cheers,
James

Galvanising? I'm pretty sure mine arrived already rusty!! It'll be embedded in concrete, I can't imagine galvanizing being that important.

Simon

posted on 29/8/14 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
And our neighbour had a trifold! door supplied and fitted by another neighbour for £1200 ish

ATB

Simon

iank

posted on 29/8/14 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Cheers,
James

Wouldn't be this one would it?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/jeld-wen-wellington-slide-fold-patio-door-set-white-2994-x-2094mm/39524

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.