Poll: Have you vote on Independence – Even if you don’t live there! [View Results]
Scottish’s resident – NO
Scottish’s resident – YES
UK resident excluding Scotland – NO
UK resident excluding Scotland – YES
Outside UK - NO
Outside UK – YES

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Have you vote on Independence – Even if you don’t live there!
ali f27

posted on 9/9/14 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
If putin had tried tunnocks tea cakes he would be here now
ali f27

posted on 9/9/14 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Been sitting here trying to figure out how we stop Scottish salmon swimming up English rivers
Benzine

posted on 9/9/14 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Copland

posted on 9/9/14 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC
What about the Putin solution? Let the scots become independent, and then invade and take it back!!!

How about we send you homewards to think again.

Think it's funny how a lot are saying to kick us out even tho a lot of us scots want to stay together!

I myself am on the "YES" side, but not because I hate the English or anything just because I think it will help Scotland get what we want/need and I really don't understand how the South think they are paying for us?

More chance of the Muslim extremists taking England than anything else the way things are goin.

jeffw

posted on 9/9/14 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/scottish-independence-george-galloways-stirring-speech-in-defence-of-the-union-9566418.html

Listen to George Galloway (!) and then tell me you are in favour....

AndyGT

posted on 9/9/14 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^
Any chance of subtitles!! I didn't understand a word he said!!!

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave

posted on 9/9/14 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyGT
^^^^

Nobody understands what he say's, the man's a balloon.

dave

posted on 9/9/14 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
My uneducated tuppence worth. I set out to vote a definite NO, however listening to the debates political and others, I have swung to a definite YES. I have had enough of Westminster and all who reside in her walls of power they are a rancid boil on the erse of a down and out country (UK&I).
blakep82

posted on 9/9/14 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
If its a yes, I expect there'd be another massive recession across the whole of the uk, worse than anythjng any of us have lived through so far, theres far too many unanswered question, too many holes in the white paper (the plan for defence is "after a yes vote, defence can be negotiated with neighbouring countries" same goes for currency, theres a pattern...

In the long run we may be better off, but I'm 31, and I doubt I'll see the benefit in my life time. Salmond will go into history, which I expect is his only goal. He'll disappear off abroad annd leave us all in it.

Yes or no there'll be riots, trouble, and resentment, like northern ireland. Maybe even worse

No, ok things aren't great at the moment by any means, but I cant see we'll get much worse (certainly nowhere near as bad as if its a yes)

The nationalist like to say voting no because you don't like alex salmond is like not buying a house because you dobt like the wall paper, meaning you get a new first minister after.
I guess that goes for cameron and voting yes, but to me voting yes is like buying a house, blind, at auction, having no idea where it is, what condition its like, how much its actually worth, not seeing the legal pack, and not having a survey done.

Theres just too many unanswered questions and too many government services missing. No mention of stuff that interests us, such as DVLA and VOSA, we'd fall under eu laws (assuming we are in, which we still don't get a straight answer from snp) which I guess means we'd lose iVA etc. No mention of foreign embassies, loads more but you get the idea.

It HAS to be a no surely. A yes would just be ridiculous.
I read somewhere riot gear is being brought in from the south before the 19th. If its a yes, I hope southern police forces demand their riot gear back and tell us to deal with it ourselves, if thats what 'we' want

Also, can you imagine the statues of salmonds smug face that will go up everywhere? Urgh, I'd much rather see the crushing disappointment on his face as his lifes work falls apart before him. Fingers crossed

If its a yes, I'm out!

[Edited on 9/9/14 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

splitrivet

posted on 9/9/14 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon we English should have a vote whether or not we still want the whingeing buggers and why should they get get preferential treatment ( free uni education etc etc).

Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 10/9/14 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

twybrow

posted on 10/9/14 at 02:11 AM Reply With Quote
One big waste of time and money when we have better things to use both on.

If the Scots go independent, then good luck to them but I strongly suspect you will just have a new government to resent rather than giving you this panacea you are being described by history maker Salmond. Those south of the border also have issues with our elected leaders, but this is not a good way to invoke a positive change Scotland!

Personally I don't want to break up the Union. I strongly believe we are mightier together than in bits and Scotland would see far more of a negative impact than the rest of the UK if it were a Yes vote.

jeffw

posted on 10/9/14 at 05:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyGT
^^^^

There is a transcript of the speech on the page.

daviep

posted on 10/9/14 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
Quite surprised by the level of bigotry on display, usually this is a decent forum without too many the keyboard warriors

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

britishtrident

posted on 10/9/14 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ali f27
Been sitting here trying to figure out how we stop Scottish salmon swimming up English rivers

Nothing a frying pan and a knob of butter won't fix.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

whitestu

posted on 10/9/14 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Quite surprised by the level of bigotry on display, usually this is a decent forum without too many the keyboard warriors

Cheers
Davie

Banter aside that element of it surprises me as well - not so much on here but everywhere. Personally if the Scottish people want to run their own affairs I say good luck to them. Unfortunately whichever way it goes it looks like there are going to be roughly half of the Scottish people who get something they don't want.

If the result is a 'No' though I think there should be a serious look across the UK as a whole on how things are run and where the money goes, because it isn't just the Scots that think they get a bad deal.

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/9/14 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
quote:

Cheers
Davie

Banter aside that element of it surprises me as well - not so much on here but everywhere. Personally if the Scottish people want to run their own affairs I say good luck to them. Unfortunately whichever way it goes it looks like there are going to be roughly half of the Scottish people who get something they don't want.

That's why I think the vote should really be set more like 75% or higher to go either way

Interesting seeing the poll results as it not remotely as close as I hear on the news

britishtrident

posted on 10/9/14 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Alex Salmond’s opponents south of the border have all missed one important factor, that Salmond is a very astute politician who has been able to out manoeuvre all his opponents into giving him exactly what he wanted. Twenty years ago the SNP were shrinking rapidly to a core group that had more than its’ fair share of nutters Salmond turned his party around. The tartan nutters are still there but the SNP is a serious political force. Had the three main Westminster parties not been pre-occupied with internal wars and elected more effective leaders rather than compromise candidates Westminster government might have been more effective and we would not be the situation we have today.

Today we have the situation where in what has all the signs of panic the leaders of the three big Westminster parties have cancelled all at business short notice and are heading north to rally support I can only think that this is intended for the benefit of the audience south of the border as in Scotland it is largely seen as a major mistake, a sign that they have been paying little attention to the political actuality in Scotland.

The desire for independence is not like hatred that drove the Irish rebellion, there is no evidence that an independent Scotland would not feel intense loyalty to our friends and kin folk south of the border after all we stood side by side through wars major and minor.

[/I]

D Beddows

posted on 10/9/14 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
I actually think a lot of people who live north of Watford are in fact secretly rather jealous

Having said that I have a suspicion that once the euphoria of a 'Yes' victory (should it happen) has worn off it will be a case of 'meet the new boss - the same as the old boss' rather than a brave new world, we are talking about politicians after all!

FuryRebuild

posted on 10/9/14 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
English - voted yes.

One interesting point that hasn't been dwelled on is "if you go, it's forever".

I was a firm no at one point but the rhetoric (and the propensity for some to blame the English for everything) means I'd sooner just be shot of Scotland, and let's watch and see what happens. If Scootz does sort out an ebay bargain, maybe I'll bid.

If it's a great success, there will be massive changes dragged through RUK, and all will benefit. If it all turns to ratshit, then it will be quite interesting to watch. Watching may not be so easy unless the SBC add more power to their video streaming clusters

I also think the position of westminster only having a view that extends to the M25 is a bit false. My wife works in the charity sector, and they get a lot of support from government for the projects they are doing in cities like Bradford. I admit some northern cities are bloody awful, and we shouldn't forget why. Big industrial towns that pissed on their own feet. Think of ship building in Sunderland - there was a great phrase there: "there's not better job than a ship-yard painter". The unions screwed ship-building in the north, and for a while, it's only principle export was spite and racism. At some point, government can't just keep bailing out loss making loony-bins, and EU legislation stopped it for good.

I have my flame proof jacket on

M

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

ali f27

posted on 10/9/14 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
I read with interest your thoughts on unions etc. Miss managment by poor managers who often didnt get thier jobs on merit and union leaders with there own political ambitions were equaly to blame, the unions caused Maggie to be elected the miners played into her hands. the problem since then no goverment has made real efforts to get manifacturing going again with modern industry, the inferstructure roads rail etc are negleted and we are still reliant on the services lindustry and the volitile city of london an economy based on city gamblers who will at some point drop the ball agian and leave the country in the turd Scotland it appears wonts to move forward and good luck to them
Irony

posted on 10/9/14 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
I actually think a lot of people who live north of Watford are in fact secretly rather jealous

I personally find the narrow-mindedness of southerners very very frustrating. My partner is from Notting Hill and I am from Lincoln. Some of her friends and family barely realise that there is anything outside of the M25. A couple refuse to go outside Zone 3 on the tube. None of her friends drive (they don't need to apparently) and a garden is a flower box on the windowsill. They all either live in a rented 'room' or live with there parents at 35. A couple who are civil servants earn exactly the same amount in central London as they would in Lincoln. On there wages they cannot afford to buy a property at all and yet up here they could get a 3 bed house!

I have worked and lived in London and I just don't see the appeal unless you are 20 something and single.........

jeffw

posted on 10/9/14 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep

Cheers
Davie

Don't confuse wee taking and boredom with the whole subject with bigotry. I'm happy for the Jocks to leave (or stay) I just don't think it is that much of a deal either way and certainly not enough to give the Scots 'Devo Max' There does seem to be an element of what ever the No campaign (or any one who doesn't want to see the break-up of the union) say will be miss-construed. There also seems to be an air of entitlement in the Yes campaign....it is 'our' £ and you can't stop us using it.

If there is a Yes vote it will be a messy divorce but as Scotland accounts for less than 10% of the population of the UK it really will not effect the UK much.

britishtrident

posted on 10/9/14 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
In the event of a Yes vote elements the NO camp seem intent on making the divorce as messy as possible, which sort of undermines their own position.
Nations can split without rancour it is worth researching the Dissolution of Czechoslovakia. The split of Czechoslovakia was not dissimilar with very similar problems but somehow it was managed without rancour and good cultural and economic relations between the two states continue.

[/I]

jeffw

posted on 10/9/14 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
In the example you give both parties wanted to split, which is not the case here.

JoelP

posted on 10/9/14 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
I vote yes. Local governance would seem more appropriate. 30 years is a long time to adjust your economy away from oil. They could avoid wasting money on trident etc, since, maybe selfishly, they don't need to maintain a nuclear deterrent if they aren't trying to assert themselves on the world stage. And equally, the prospect of a tory ukipalliance next parliament is an awful thought.

So there.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.