Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My in-car DAB company.
SALAD

posted on 6/10/14 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
My in-car DAB company.

Seeing as it is car related I thought I would put these links up as it is time for me to start letting people know what I have been working on...In-car DAB.

My website: http://www.dabtecaudio.com/

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/dabtec?filter=1

Not a massive amount of content on there but please 'like' the Facebook page and stay tuned for updates.

Thanks

ceebmoj

posted on 6/10/14 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like it could be interesting how mutch and when will it be available?
tims31

posted on 6/10/14 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Very interested in this and there are other solutions but the question I have is what will be the digital aerial solution which has been what has been a restriction with all the other solutions? Is this also going to require a separate digital antena?

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

Texan

posted on 7/10/14 at 12:19 AM Reply With Quote
I don't want to be the idiot, but I'm going to have to be. Is DAB just an acronym for digital radio?

And how does that vary from regular radio?

I drive therefore I am.

hobbsy

posted on 7/10/14 at 03:45 AM Reply With Quote
Texan

Not sure you have DAB in the States.

I think you guys prefer satellite radio like Sirius XM?

Ben_Copeland

posted on 7/10/14 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
I think you should issue free trial ones to LCB's

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

whitestu

posted on 7/10/14 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
I've never tried in car DAB. Does it work well? We live within the M25 and normal household DAB reception is rubbish compared to FM. Unless they improve the transmission technology it seems like a backward step to me. I listen to the car radio a lot so would love a decent DAB setup that worked.

Stu

SALAD

posted on 7/10/14 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
The testing we have done so far has shown good reception and the switch over from analogue to digital won't take place until the Government targets for reception coverage and listening are met.

A dedicated DAB aerial is required for better performance but we have used a separate aerial splitter in line with an analogue aerial and still found reasonable reception. I would imagine that when coverage is at switch-over levels then the splitter option would provide better performance too.
There are a number of digital aerial options available but we are always looking to see where improvements can be made.

The unit will retail for around £100 but we are planning an initial crowd funding campaign which will allow us to offer the unit at a lower price.

You are correct Texan, DAB is Digital Audio Broadcasting but as Hobbsy said, you guys don't have DAB in the States.

......and I am ignoring your post Ben

loggyboy

posted on 7/10/14 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Texan
I don't want to be the idiot, but I'm going to have to be. Is DAB just an acronym for digital radio?

And how does that vary from regular radio?

Its not analogue?!
Same principle as digital TV, you can squeeze a lot more in digital signal.

There were plans to pull analogue radio in the UK (ATV has already gone). But due to the radio tech not working as well as the TV the plans to kill it off were cancelled (or at least delayed). The government wand the bands for other uses (hence why ATV was shut off so quickly)

Trouble with car DAB is its a very harsh environment for receiving signals, (lots of interference, combined with it being in a moving object.) That's one of the major reasons car DAB hasn't taken off as well as DTV. It will though, as tech increases it will kick in tho. Good luck with the venture!

Mistral Motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 7/10/14 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SALAD
You are correct Texan, DAB is Digital Audio Broadcasting but as Hobbsy said, you guys don't have DAB in the States.

They have Sirius which is pretty good.

Mistral Motorsport

coozer

posted on 7/10/14 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
I've had a Sony dab radio in my car a long time now, think it was about 2006 when I bought it. Started with a stick on the windscreen aerial and now have a little bee sting thing in the middle of the roof.

Reception is solid, all the time. I also have a Roberts portable and the reception on that is a bit flakey sometimes.

I do wonder why car manufacturers don't fit them as standard these days.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Texan

posted on 7/10/14 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by SALAD

They have Sirius which is pretty good.

Sirius is good, but I don't have it because it costs money and the programming is repetitive. It seems that Pandora and it's ilk have just about taken over. I mean who doesn't have a smart phone, it's the 21st century after all.

I drive therefore I am.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.