Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mitchell Cots MT75 - with BDA to Rocket Bellhousing
tract0rman49

posted on 10/10/14 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Mitchell Cots MT75 - with BDA to Rocket Bellhousing

Hi all

I recently bought an unused Mitchell Cotts Gearbox with ratios 3.6; 2.08; 1.36; 1:1 and 0.76 that I intend to fit into a 1971 Lotus Elan Sprint to replace the original 4 speed 3 rail box.

I have managed to find a really nice Magnesium BDA to Rocket Bellhousing that gives me the correct engine block mounting holes and includes the lug to take the standard Ford/Lotus clutch slave cylinder. I have an RS2000 215mm diameter clutch palte with the matching 23 splines.

The problem I have is the 1st motion shaft length is some 23mm INSIDE THE BELLHOUSING TO CYLINDER BLOCK FACE!!!! My thoughts are that this box was intended for a Caterham or Westfield to mate to some other power unit and the bellhousing dimension from the gearbox front face is approx 124mm compared to the Ford/BDA 178mm.

Can anyone help me identify the correct replacement 1st motion shaft that will match my engine/bellhousing??

Thanks

MikeR

posted on 10/10/14 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like you want a 1 inch spacer. on type 9 gearboxes there are two sizes of bellhousings. the difference .... 1 inch. people with the wrong size housing just fitted a space & longer bolts. this may be the same problem.
Paul Turner

posted on 11/10/14 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
I would suggest that you sell the Michell Cotts Gearbox. A first gear with a ratio of 3.6:1 has no place in a performance car. 1st in your 3 rail box is 2.98:1 and is much more suited to an Elan. If you go to the trouble and expense of fitting the box you are going to be very disappointed, I can guarantee it.

I would suggest you speak to Steve Perks at SPC (01527 894232) about one of his close ratio type 9 boxes. Physically the type 9 is quite a bit smaller than the MT75 and even with Steve's most economic conversion you still get a set of ratio's almost identical to what you have with a 5th for cruising and the correct length input shaft.

tract0rman49

posted on 13/10/14 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Mitchell Cots Box - For Elan

Hi, I appreciate your comments re Type 9 box and shorter 1st gear ratio. The biggest challenge fitting a type 9 to the Elan is the gear linkage being around 10" to 12" too far back which is unacceptable. The MT75 Mitchell Cots conversion has the advantage of a separate bell housing and a gear linkage only slightly further back (around 2" I believe) than standard. My Elan is running a 3.55 diff so while I accept the 3.6 longer first gear is not ideal I cannot see it being massive. Early Elans ran a 3.9 and 3.7 diffs so negating some of the benefit of the 2.9 first gear which would end up overall being 10% shorter than the 3.9 axles. My aim is to have a taller cruising top gear with speed in 5th around 23 mph / 1000 rpm compared to 17.5 dropping revs at 70 by around 1000. Have seen some attempts to create a forward gear selector position on Type 9's but it's a serious amount of engineering which I am not prepared to do.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.