Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Guy Martin on Pike's Peak
David Jenkins

posted on 3/11/14 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Guy Martin on Pike's Peak

I was watching "Speed with Guy Martin" on Channel 4 last night, where he took his home-built bike up Pike's Peak.

I know he won his class by 1 second over the 2nd place man (the previous champion) - but how much faster would he have been if his bike had been in good running order!

Andy D

posted on 3/11/14 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the same. I found an article somewhere on the web.. sorry.. no immediate link... that said the bike currently has about 350bhp, but he's after 500! eek!
Andy D

posted on 3/11/14 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/news/newsresults/general-news/2011/october/oct611-the-bike-that-guy-built-500bhp-cafe-racer/

adithorp

posted on 3/11/14 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Quite a bit I think. There were plenty of other factors bikes ahead of him if you search for this years results. I wonder if he'll have another go at it; All seemed a bit last minute and he might have some unfinished business.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

nick205

posted on 3/11/14 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Really enjoy watching him on TV. He seems to have that infectious enthusiasm for a challenge and for life in general.

I too wondered how much more potential there was from the bike. 500hp is a lot in anything, but on two wheels

tegwin

posted on 3/11/14 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
I watched it and couldn't help feel that it was faulty for a reason.... (to make a story or something)... Surely you would have got it running perfectly before you flew out? A few days on a rolling road would have ironed out fueling issues surely?

[Edited on 3/11/14 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

David Jenkins

posted on 3/11/14 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I was also surprised that he didn't run it up and down a runway or something before he left.

When he's making these series he's often doing several challenges simultaneously - that, plus his proper job and bike racing may have meant that he simply didn't have enough time to do the job properly.

But I did like the bit where he was clearly pee'd off that he didn't go as fast as he thought he could - then he found out that he'd won!

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/11/14 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Being a bit of a cynic, I wonder if the bike misbehaved because the director of the documentary told it to

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

steve m

posted on 3/11/14 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Dont spoil it for me, as watchint tomorrow night

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

mark chandler

posted on 3/11/14 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I was also surprised that he didn't run it up and down a runway or something before he left.

When he's making these series he's often doing several challenges simultaneously - that, plus his proper job and bike racing may have meant that he simply didn't have enough time to do the job properly.

But I did like the bit where he was clearly pee'd off that he didn't go as fast as he thought he could - then he found out that he'd won!

^^^

As above, he farmed out the preparation so expected it to be right I guess and without a rolling road in a pressure cell the only test is the hill.

metro6r4

posted on 3/11/14 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
I can't believe I missed it I love the pikes peak hill climb.I will admit to being a massive geek and looking for video's on youtube at least once a month and I must have raced that track at least 200 times on colin mcrae dirt.Massive respect to anyone who has the balls to try it.Its a hard race to setup for as the air their is a lot thinner.Its easy to say it should have been right but I bet setting it up without any real idea in the difference in air pressure etc its near imoposible to get a perfect fuel map on your first attempt.
David Jenkins

posted on 3/11/14 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
It's repeated next Saturday night.

Volvorsport

posted on 3/11/14 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
If its turbocharged, how does altitude affect it?

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 3/11/14 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
You can watch it on 4 od now!
chrism

posted on 3/11/14 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure how/when the show was filmed, but I'm pretty sure that Turbo was fitted on the bike over 2 years ago, from remembering seeing it in a magazine a long time ago.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

twybrow

posted on 3/11/14 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
I think it was filmed in 2012 from memory.... I don't think the bike was setup badly deliberately, but I was surprised that when they found the bike running rough, why not have hot footed it to a rolling road, and of course upgrade the injectors (laughable explanation by narrator!).

Guy is my new man crush. Such a likeable chap, a brilliant mechanic and balls of steel!

phelpsa

posted on 3/11/14 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
If its turbocharged, how does altitude affect it?

Not at all if its fuel injection and MAP (most likely), will just produce less power.

EDIT: Thats not very clear, shouldn't make it run badly, just reduce overall power.

[Edited on 3-11-14 by phelpsa]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
metro6r4

posted on 3/11/14 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
higher altitude = less oxygen content
The turbo pressurizes the intake the same (same psi) as it would at sea level. There will be a power drop as even though the volume of air is the same, there is less oxygen in a given volume of air. A normally aspirated drag car will loose 1 sec for every 5k feet of altitude. Turbo charged car looses 4 tenths for every 5k feet of altitude.

This is based on various things I have read on drag racing websites so it is up for interpretation as anyone can be an "armchair expert". I may have misunderstood but it sounds feasible enough

AdrianH

posted on 3/11/14 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
4seven at 22:00 on freeview?

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

phelpsa

posted on 3/11/14 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy D
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/news/newsresults/general-news/2011/october/oct611-the-bike-that-guy-built-500bhp-cafe-racer/

So if it was actually built by Sean at Big CC, what did the chap in Derbyshire have to do with things?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 3/11/14 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by metro6r4
I can't believe I missed it I love the pikes peak hill climb.I will admit to being a massive geek and looking for video's on youtube at least once a month and I must have raced that track at least 200 times on colin mcrae dirt.Massive respect to anyone who has the balls to try it.Its a hard race to setup for as the air their is a lot thinner.Its easy to say it should have been right but I bet setting it up without any real idea in the difference in air pressure etc its near imoposible to get a perfect fuel map on your first attempt.

If you ever get anywhere near to Pikes peak you absolutely must drive it. I drove up in rental car treating it like a Sunday drive, and even that was a bit scary. At 12,000 ft you hit the tree line and the trees instantly have gone then you see clouds and aircraft actually below you......definitely a once in a lifetime experience.

Alan

posted on 4/11/14 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
I always feel a little cheated when I find out how a program was made.

I watch the program, taking in all the details, only to be told that it was not like that at all.

It's dishonest.

Paul G

daveb666

posted on 4/11/14 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Agreed with some of the other comments above;

decent tuner, his 'anti-oxygen' machines, some plastic wrap over the doors and a day on the rollers and the bike would have performed as intended.

Disappointing end to it all tbh

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

Andy D

posted on 4/11/14 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
I think it was filmed in 2012 from memory.... I don't think the bike was setup badly deliberately, but I was surprised that when they found the bike running rough, why not have hot footed it to a rolling road, and of course upgrade the injectors (laughable explanation by narrator!).

Guy is my new man crush. Such a likeable chap, a brilliant mechanic and balls of steel!

Was definitely this year, results here: (Guy Martin pos 53)
http://gas2.org/2014/06/29/pikes-peak-2014-race-results/

I would presume the bike was set up right in the UK, and the altitude cocked it up .. not sure how altitude is compensated for ???

jeffw

posted on 4/11/14 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
The bike was finished in 2011 and it isn't like they didn't know the race was at altitude!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.