Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bec reverse options
greavesy7

posted on 27/11/14 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Bec reverse options

I'm new to this bec thing and currently building a zx9 gbs zero what are the best options for reverse or do people not bother
bart

posted on 27/11/14 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
you need reverse for iva test

electric
reverse gearbox
that's your opptions

jossey

posted on 28/11/14 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote
Reverse box
Gear on front of prop attacked to starter motor
Same on rear by diff

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fesycresy

posted on 28/11/14 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Nova reverse, a box that actually works!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

CosKev3

posted on 28/11/14 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy

looks good that, but expensive for something you will only use fir IVA and getting the car out of the garage

The electric starter motor reverse systems work fine aslong as they are driving the propshaft, the ones that drive onto the driveshaft between diff and shaft don't though.
Another thing with the starter reverse is you ideally need to run a small car battery for them to move the car easily.

fesycresy

posted on 28/11/14 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
The electric reverse just won't work where I live.

I got caught out a few times, what a pain in the ar$e, if I built another BEC I would need one.

quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy

looks good that, but expensive for something you will only use fir IVA and getting the car out of the garage

The electric starter motor reverse systems work fine aslong as they are driving the propshaft, the ones that drive onto the driveshaft between diff and shaft don't though.
Another thing with the starter reverse is you ideally need to run a small car battery for them to move the car easily.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

theprisioner

posted on 28/11/14 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
An alternative to installing a car battery is to put an ANDERSON SB175 AMP CONNECTOR JUMP PLUG ebay 140747125041 in some convenient location near the passenger seat and plug in a battery pack when doing serious reversing then dump it when not. I have done this for years.

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

40inches

posted on 28/11/14 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
I ran with a car starter, ring gear on diff for a year, then a year without one. Didn't miss not having a reverse, but you need a bit of forward thinking when you park, NEVER park facing down hill, and in car parks park on the outside bay, so you can drive straight off
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 3/12/14 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Super lightweight (Jedi race car) chain drive unit has just been added to my archive (eventually I'll get around to putting the unit on Ebay, along with one helluva lot else).

Not suitable for the Zero, but nonetheless, this is a reverse gear thread, so thought folks might find the info here. Show's what possible with some engineering.

Matt21

posted on 13/12/14 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
for the iva.... does it say the car has to be ale to reverse under its own power? or would a specially designed 'reversing stick' do the job?

my thinking is, you have a stick in the passenger side that you deploy out the side of the car and simply push yourself backwards without getting out.... this is technically reversing and not getting out to push....

much cheaper than these silly reverse boxes and starter motors

bart

posted on 13/12/14 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
fred flintstone !
bit soon for april the first
this is vosa we are talking about.
2 chances
no chance
and defo no chance

BE ALERT > BRITAIN NEEDS LERTS

minitici

posted on 13/12/14 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
from iva manual

7. The vehicle must have an operational reverse gear which can be selected from the driving position. (see note 4)

Note 4: “Reverse Gear” A device used to propel the vehicle in a backwards direction under its own power, this does not have to be in the gearbox, it may be a separate component i.e. secondary gearbox / electric motor.

So the device has to be "under its own power" - I don't see a stick complying unless you can describe yourself as the "device".

[Edited on 13/12/14 by minitici]

CosKev3

posted on 13/12/14 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt21
for the iva.... does it say the car has to be ale to reverse under its own power? or would a specially designed 'reversing stick' do the job?

my thinking is, you have a stick in the passenger side that you deploy out the side of the car and simply push yourself backwards without getting out.... this is technically reversing and not getting out to push....

much cheaper than these silly reverse boxes and starter motors

LOL!

Been out on your company's xmas wee up? !?!?

yahshuatwo

posted on 14/12/14 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.