Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insurance problems
Fieldy

posted on 10/12/14 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance problems

I’ve just seen another post about claiming for damage, I’m also having issues with this and thought I would ask your thoughts etc

The original incident happened back in Feb 2014, I had parked my car legally on a road and left it there overnight. The car stayed there for the duration of that night and I know there was no damage to the passenger side as I got a bag out of that side when I arrived.

The following morning I come out the car and go to put the bag back in the passenger side and notice a massive dent on the rear quarter – now I’m no expect but it was pretty obvious that this was a push dent rather than a grazed (drive by) dent / scrap. There was no cars on the opposite side of the road and at this time no cars on the drive opposite where I was parked (just to be clear I wasn’t parked opposite the opposite house driveway)

So, I went back later on that evening and looked at the Vauxhall Corsa that was parked on the drive, as expected there was a small slither of plastic and a small sent on the n/s of the rear bumper, exactly where it would be if the person had reversed off the driveway and put full lock on.

I went and knocked on the door of the house and questioned them, the lad who owned the car wasn’t in so I spoke with his Dad, he said they hadn’t been involved blah blah blah but said he would ask his son when he returned. Later than evening the guy came over to the house I was in and said that his son had done the damage and what did I want to do about it. Now, I thought I would be nice and say look we don’t need to go through insurance, lets get a quote or two and then see where we are.

I obtained two quotes and went back to the house, they then said that the quotes were to much and did I want to go halves…. I said no, if that’s the case ill have to go through the insurance as the damage was roughly 700 quid to repair.

They agreed and gave me their insurance details, at this point I didn’t think anything more of it really, I presumed that the insurance company would crack on and sort it out quickly. That didn’t happen. The people are now saying that they weren’t involved. Their insurance company has sent out engineers and inspected my car and theirs; they concluded that their car didn’t match my damage.

The insurance company have not been a great help really and I fear they are going to just come back and say they are not liable.

Anyone had anything similar happen to them? Anyone have any recommendations?

I know I’m a little screwed as there was no witness, but I would be keen to hear anyone’s suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Matt

mark chandler

posted on 10/12/14 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
If they do not admit liability with their insurance company you are screwed as you cannot prove he hit you.

Result, you have made a claim, even if it has not paid out your insurance will go up because you have attempted to claim.

If you have the extra legal protection you can give them a push, in my case it got as far as you with damage on my car, the assessor looked at theirs although in my case got threatened so left and then they tried a fictitious claim against me for a new bumper on a different day, in the end I gave up as it was not worth the £700 it cost to repair the car.

This in the end was paid for by my insurance as fully comp then had to argue the premium down for the next few years nut this would have happened anyway as they had incurred cost inspecting the other car.

turbodisplay

posted on 10/12/14 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be first with the silly comment. Park you car through the front of the house then drive off and say it wasn't you.........

On a mor sensible comment, had a problem with a claim where third party blantently was at fault. Went to the house car was registered and told his siter what a naughty boy he was. Speed up the claim, helped being a 6'4" rugby player though.
I found him on linked in, was going to ring his work and when asked who was I say "the person he crashed in to and not reporting it"

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 10/12/14 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
You may as well just get it repaired your self
And reading what you wrote you parked on the wrong side of the road over night facing the wrong way ?
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Barlidge

posted on 11/12/14 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
I had a similar thing, someone reversed into my car, at the time they admitted liability then later accused me of driving into the back of them, without witnesses or CCTV there's not much can be done to prove it either way.

You will end up making yourself ill through stress, better to just move on from it and if its outside your own house maybe put a camera up to avoid a similar situation in the future.

Build Diary: http://www.roadster-builders.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=111

Fieldy

posted on 11/12/14 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
And reading what you wrote you parked on the wrong side of the road over night facing the wrong way ?
Jacko

Yes i was parked as you say, is that illegal? there are no red/yellow lines or restrictions and people park like this all the way down the road. It a side road not a main road.

My argument is that they gave me their insurance details, as i wasn't in the car or even around surely by them admitting they were involved in an incident instantly by my reckoning makes them liable?

"You may as well just get it repaired your self " - maybe im not as well off as you but 700 quid isn't a small amount of money to me, repairing it myself is a last resort as i wasn't at fault.

[Edited on 11/12/14 by Fieldy]

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 11/12/14 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
As awful as this sounds, have you considered reporting it to the police? Essentially the accident happened on what I am thinking is a public highway, and the offender left the scene of an accident without reporting it, then later admitted liability when confronted. If you give the police the whole story, including the fact that the other party admitted responsibility, then let them handle it. May take a bit of time to get it resolved, but lets see if they wish to lie to the law as easily as they lied to the insurance company. I would also consider writing to the other party telling them of your intentions to go legal - whether you do this before or after reporting it is up to you.

I would like to point out that I am usually an advocate of resolving things amicably, but sounds like in this instance you're up against a brick wall.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

jacko

posted on 11/12/14 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fieldy
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Jacko

Yes i was parked as you say, is that illegal? there are no red/yellow lines or restrictions and people park like this all the way down the road. It a side road not a main road.

My argument is that they gave me their insurance details, as i wasn't in the car or even around surely by them admitting they were involved in an incident instantly by my reckoning makes them liable?

"You may as well just get it repaired your self " - maybe im not as well off as you but 700 quid isn't a small amount of money to me, repairing it myself is a last resort as i wasn't at fault.

[Edited on 11/12/14 by Fieldy]

Hi mate i don't have money to spare too but as some one has said don't make your self ill by the twat that hit your car .

I do believe that by law you should be parked with the rear/ red lights / reflectors on the n/side of the road at night

I hope you get it all sorted to your satisfaction in the end
or kick the out of him

Jacko

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.