Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: FINALLY time to buy my Indy
Calzonii

posted on 18/12/14 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
FINALLY time to buy my Indy

Havent been on here in a while! 2012 last time... However... The long awaited day has arrived as a newly qualified graduate I have just finished 9 months work and have FINALLY got enough cash to start deciding (once and for all) what to build!

With a budget of £12k between my mate and me we are planning on buying a duratec engine and an Indy R Kit... Has anyone on the forum built this before? I have rebuilt a few beetles and my mate is a mech eng so hopefully between the two of us we can figure out which way round the engine goes. Does this kit and engine sound simple enough for first time build?

Just wondering if anyone has any information on speed stats or previous experience builidng and MK with a duratec engine and how they found the experience? Even if anyone has any linnks to build diarys or any information would be great.

Thanks,

Cal

Alan B

posted on 18/12/14 at 01:44 AM Reply With Quote
Word of advice....

I'm sure your mate is a great guy, but be sure to have something drawn up to cover you both from whatever could happen.
Joint projects can go horribly wrong....

Other than that.....enjoy..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daniel mason

posted on 18/12/14 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
Some of the westfield duratecs I've sprinted with have been pretty quick!
INDY BIRD

posted on 18/12/14 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Some good info here on tunning the duratec from sbd,

Link

http://www.sbdev.co.uk/History_files/History_DuratecTuning.htm

I had a Westfield with a duratec it was 255 bhp and would pull 140 mph easily but it depends on your gearing and I presume you will fit a type 9 gearbox?
It will be a quick car and they look a nice install

Remember to modify the sump or fit dry sump for track use

Other options is a black top zetec you can pick them up cheap brand new and with some cams etc you can see near 200 bhp a good option for a brand new engine I've seen them for £750

Best of luck with the build I do like the Indy I've had a few

Surrey Dave

posted on 18/12/14 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Caterham

Could you buy a Caterham for that cash?

Much better investment and residual value, kits generally only go one way in value.

Calzonii

posted on 22/12/14 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
INDY yeah fitting it with a type 9 gearbox cause theyre easy to install to make a change from FWD to RWD.. Also why do you need to modify sump for track use? just too much heat involved ive heard that dry sump systems are expensive?

Dave was looking at caterham before but i think id go for caterham after ive built one cause ill be making a fair few mistakes first time round and caterhams prices are so expensive those mistake could be costly So were planning on using the MK for a jointbuilt hopefully not to expensive for the time invested into it and then sell and move on to something better after a few years of enjoying it..

Anyone have any ideas where to pick up a duratec engine donor car and a decent price?

FASTdan

posted on 22/12/14 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
We run a 2.3 duratec on bike carbs in our indy, makes about 190bhp and is very potent (great torque too so pulls from nothing in every gear).

You will need to do something with the sump as it is a FWD engine as standard so is not baffled correctly for an inline install and is also far too deep so needs shortening (ground clearance problems). So you either do as we did and shorten it, widen it and baffle/gate it (all ok if you have alu welding equipment), make a new one in steel or fork out for a raceline or similar item.

Other big expenses are the mating to the type 9 (or similar) gearbox as you need a new bellhousing, flywheel etc.

The duratec isn't the simplest or cheapest (go zetec for this) but is a nice lightweight reasonably modern lump that gives good power easily and has huge tuning potential.

We do a set of engine mounts for the duratec that will go straight into an indy btw so if you need these drop me a message.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.