Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Long distance track \ race days. How do you do it?
bi22le

posted on 11/1/15 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Long distance track \ race days. How do you do it?

I have done a few longish distance track days. I have done it several ways and none of them are ideal. I just wondered what you guys do.

1) Drive there and back all in one day.
2) Drive up there day before and stay there, come home the same day.
3) Drive up there the same day, stay up there that night, come back the next day
4) Stay up there the morning and evening making it a 3 day affair.

I am currently a fan of (2) as I hate early mornings and don't like risking getting stuck in traffic and ruining the day. I also never look forward to the 3 hour drive home after belting round a track all day.

I am looking at doing Cadwell in a few months and will probably stay in a hotel \ back of the car. Never done the back of the car thing and expect it to be cold but cant be bothered with a tent and hotels have their negatives.

Thoughts or suggestions.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

bigfoot4616

posted on 11/1/15 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
i always do no.2

not sure if march at cadwell will be to cold or not for the back of the van. in october i stayed at a pub a couple of miles away.

daniel mason

posted on 11/1/15 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
I just drive up there the evening before and either pitch a pop up tent (5minutes work) or sleep in the back of car in a sleeping bag!
We travel all over the place to events with generally the same or similar people so its a great laugh which is all that matters really!

lsdweb

posted on 11/1/15 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
I've done a mix of all over the years. I much prefer travelling up the day before as it avoids the hassle of getting stuck in traffic (a lot of our rounds are in the south west and require a drive down the M5).

Staying on site is good because you get the social side of mixing with everybody. But, sleeping in the van / car can be uncomfortable (I froze in Cadwell in March years ago) and will probably make you slower on the track as you'll be tired / pissed off!

Wyn

mark chandler

posted on 11/1/15 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
2, no point booking up something afterwards incase you break it early on.

Travel lodge @ £25 - £45 sounds great, then you start to wonder if anyone is having a look at your trailer .... So drive up late, grab a meal on route then crash in the back of your car.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 11/1/15 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Last time we went to Caldwell we stayed in a brilliant little B&B the night before, the lady owner coned off two spaces so we had somewhere to pit the rangey and trailer and got up extra early so we could have breakfast before we headed to the track. I'll try and find the name of the place in a mo'

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
unijacko67

posted on 11/1/15 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
We slept in back of van night before last year at Cadwel 8th March, very, very cold

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andy D

posted on 11/1/15 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
I do an early start to anything within around 2.5 hours. Have stopped at dodgy looking Travelodge type places on the past, and been quite reieved to find the trailer still there in the morning.
Camping for me means a car full of clutter, that seems to get worse and worse as the day goes on when you're rummaging through it looking for a footpump or any other bit of trackday kit!
There are some reccomended places to stay on MSV's website here:
http://www.cadwellpark.co.uk/circuit-information/accommodation.aspx

You should find something suitable there.

daniel mason

posted on 11/1/15 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
I never feel the cold once in a sleeping bag. I'll sleep anywhere with a few beers on board!
bi22le

posted on 11/1/15 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
When i was camping we made a long weekend of it. We dis not pack up camp the morning of the TD, far to much effort.

I cant agree more with the travel lodge concerns. Last time i stayed in a pub my tow car and my mates car completly blocked in my trailer. I also had a wheel clamp bit did not fit it, a little over kill.

I have an awesome sleeping bag and sleep like a log so am thinking the back of the car is a good idea for cadwell.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

loggyboy

posted on 11/1/15 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
2 for me,
I defo cant get a good nights sleep camping.

Mistral Motorsport

daniel mason

posted on 11/1/15 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
It depends on your tent really. I have a really good 2 man pop up which can be pitched in 5 mins and put down in less! All I have in there is an air mattress and sleeping bag so it's quick to pack up!
Andy D

posted on 11/1/15 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't get much sleep in this tent at Anglesey a couple of years back!

Check out the opening scene..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.