Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: garage - what to do...
ned

posted on 25/11/04 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
garage - what to do...

I am collecting a free marley single garage at the weekend to erect at home so hopefully I can have the car at home at last (which will vastly aid build time over travelling 25 miles away) classing it as a portable building I shouldn''t have to worry about planning for it, it's also within the correct size to come under permitted development anyway.

I'm hoping to apply for planning to build a ground floor extension in the new year to include a new garage, utility etc attached ot the house and want it to be as simple as possible to remove the temporary 'put me up' (probably an ad on ebay for buyer to dismantle!)

Now I don't know whether to move the car home and then rent a council lockup to shift the car into if i do build an extension and whether to bother damp proofing the base i have to lay for the temporary garage...

Anyone been in a similar position? suggestions welcomed..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
midlifecrisis

posted on 25/11/04 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
I did this in my last house ,with a single pre cast garage I widened to 2-car width .didnt use d/proof membrane ,never noticed the difference. BUT didnt use re-inforcing mesh in the base . despite making the base very thick ,it cracked all over the place ! My present pre cast , stands direct on the drive outside my house ,but I had to cast a 6" high x 6" wide 'wall 'of concrete to stand the 3 sides on ,cos it didnt have enough head height .Dont cut corners by making it too temporary,they are very heavy,and need all the bolts,in all the right places ! Watch it if the roof is asbestos ,apart from being dodgy unhealthy stuff it tends to sweat inside .ROD
James

posted on 25/11/04 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with midlifecrisis about being careful with the garage- those concrete blocks are bloody heavy (feel even heavier if the fall on you!). Just ask ChrisG he has the garage-falling-on-your-knees scars to prove it! And don't f'ck around with the asbestos either- asbestosis is extremely nasty!

As for what to do with the garage- I'd consider using both! Keep the chassis and large stuff in the warehouse and use the Marley as a garage. Yes, it would mean you'd need to be organised but you could build your engine and stuff at home and make stuff there whilst bolting it all together where the chassis is. Just an idea!

Atb,
James

ned

posted on 25/11/04 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
james - more likely to be other way round - car at home (once chassis finished, painted and rolling), build engine somewhere else!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 25/11/04 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, ok.

Only issue I see with that is that bolting all the (post rolling) bits on is when you need the space! And a single garage that's gonna make it harder.

Better still- keep them all together. I'd recommend you move house!

James

ned

posted on 25/11/04 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
so james, you busy on saturday morning then? fancy giving me a hand?

Ned.

James

posted on 25/11/04 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately I'll be at work Saturday am- sorry about that!
What a choice- a nice clean server room or humping concrete blocks and asbestos around with you- gutted about having to work I tell you!

James

Jasper

posted on 25/11/04 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
I can vouch for the weight of concrete garage sections - shifted a few myself and they weigh a ton - good luck!!! (BTW - I'll be at work as well )

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

ned

posted on 25/11/04 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
booger, who else is on me list

DarrenW

posted on 25/11/04 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Ned,

Im faced with a similarish problem soon. Current garage is 13' wide and 29' long, brand new, pitched roof, remote roller door etc etc. Wife wants to move (and no i dont want to divorce her - have thought about it but too expensive!!! - only joking). New house will probably have single integral garage. My only solution will be to use up some garden space with nicely built shed / workshop. If i extend house in (distant) future at least workshop can be filled with garage stuff for the build etc.

Unfortunately you have the edge on me as yours is considerably cheaper. Just a suggestion though of another possible solution.

Could the Marley garage be constructed in some garden space and later made to look nicer when you get sorted. That way you can have new garage and somewhere for all ot the other domestic junk to go to keep the new garage a sacred 'Ned only' huffy house.

(i better explain - huffy house doesnt mean you are huffy. Northern phrase for place to get away from wife / kids when in the doghouse. i could have also called it a pigeon cree, greyhound kennel etc)

Darren.

ned

posted on 25/11/04 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
sadly the garden is tiered with a 4' retaining wall and mains sewer that would cause big complications if i were to want to build over.

the only space is beside the house, te depth of the house. we still need access round hte side of hte house and can't build beyond hte existing front of the house as is current building regs etc.

it'll have to come down for building work to start.. eventually.

thanks for the comments though..

Ned.

nick205

posted on 25/11/04 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
When you build the extension/garage could you build it around the Marley garage and then dismantle it once the roof is on the extension?

Of course you'd have to lay suitable foundations/floor first before you site the Marley garage though.

Nick

ned

posted on 25/11/04 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
interesting idea nick, but don't think there'd be enough space round it to lay bricks etc and the position would have to be carefully considerd and could change with planning..

Ned.

midlifecrisis

posted on 26/11/04 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Asembly

When I did mine ,the missus helped me to position the slabs . I started in one back corner ,got the post and 2 or 3 blocks either side of it . wife steadying the post until it was tied in enough,I turned round to pick up another block at the point that a strong gust of wind blew ,the corner collapsed ! why wasn't you holding it ,I asks her . She says "I shivered ,as the wind blew and let go of the post "!!!! ROD
David Jenkins

posted on 26/11/04 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
I put up one of those Marley garages ages ago - don't under-estimate the weight of those slabs! 'King 'eavy!

I hope that you've got a decent wagon to collect it - it won't take many of those slabs to wreck a trailer.

Have fun...

David

midlifecrisis

posted on 26/11/04 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Picked mine up in ahired luton transit ,the thing was on the bump stops ,and relly dangerous to steer

posted on 26/11/04 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I would lay a damp screen under the floor if it doesn't help it certainly wont harm and it's fairly cheap Ned.
Be sure to lay your re-inforcement mesh on some bricks so it wont sink to the bottom when the concrete is poured.
If possible hammer some wooden sticks in the ground and levell off the tops of those sticks at the desired height (top of floor) this will help to you to levell the concrete.
It can easely be done (bringing the wooden markers at the desired levell)with some clear plastic garden hose as bricklayers use.
Hope this is of some help.

midlifecrisis

posted on 26/11/04 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Think I'll screed the floor of me Locost!
ned

posted on 29/11/04 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
got the garage home safe and sound (but the prop fell off the 4x4 on the way to return it ) 3x trips with the ifor williams loaded with 15 sections being the most at once.. £30 of fuel was all it cost me (and a bottle of wine)
Now to start marking out the base...!

Ned...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.