Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kids go-kart from washing machine motor
James

posted on 20/1/15 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Kids go-kart from washing machine motor

Just had to replace a hardly used 3-year old washing machine due to a circuit board problem.

I know little about karting and even less about electric motors but I was wondering if it would be worth keeping the motor to build a kiddies electric go-kart from?

I've seen one driven by an old battery powered drill so my suspicion is a washing machine motor would be more than powerful enough.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

James

posted on 20/1/15 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Just realised this is a completely retarded question as the motor is presumably 240v.

Ah well! Carry on dreaming then!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 20/1/15 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
Just realised this is a completely retarded question as the motor is presumably 240v.

Ah well! Carry on dreaming then!

you just need a long extension lead! then if they get out of control you just 'pull the plug'

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
snakebelly

posted on 20/1/15 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Suitcase generator on a trailer? It would have more range then your average 12v go cart!
tegwin

posted on 20/1/15 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Probably more useful to use the motor as a wind turbine?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Jamesc

posted on 20/1/15 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Use a 240v generator and you've made a hybrid go kart!
AndyW

posted on 20/1/15 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Probably more useful to use the motor as a wind turbine?

That's what I have done......

JC

posted on 20/1/15 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
How about one of those power inverters that provide 'mains'power from a car socket?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rf900rush

posted on 20/1/15 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
You need to find out what type of motor it is.

I had a washing machine motor that I thought of using as a machine tool of some sort.
Now in the bin. It was a brushed type with a lot of wires coming out of it.
I could of rewound it to run on lower voltage, but that was never going to happen, too many other things going on.

Some motor are 3 phase brushless types. Had the idea of using one on a small lathe or milling machine.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 20/1/15 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe you are looking at it the wrong way! Get rid of all the dodgy electrics and put a bike engine in the washing machine!

13000 rpm spin speed would get your laundry dry!

bi22le

posted on 20/1/15 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
Maybe you are looking at it the wrong way! Get rid of all the dodgy electrics and put a bike engine in the washing machine!

13000 rpm spin speed would get your laundry dry!

And smelling nice it its a 2 stroke!

Mmmmmmm rock oil.....

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

simonrh

posted on 21/1/15 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
I am sure i remember from physics at school that certain types of brushed AC motors run quite happily on DC too (as long as you can sort the wiring).

You can't do it with induction motors or anythign so it will depend on what type you have.

I would imagine you would either be very short on power or pulling much current than the motor windings are comfortable with. Fit a big fuse!

Googling DC washing machine motor returns some info certainly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgYZyZQbh-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBPylDAMnDc

David Jenkins

posted on 21/1/15 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Ideally you should find a Sinclair C5 motor and use that in the kiddie car - but they're as rare as hen's teeth nowadays, and go for stupid money as they're so useful and powerful...

simonrh

posted on 21/1/15 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
The swing bin racer that I would like to build for my daughter if she shows any interest uses an 18V drill.

My 1/8 RC has a 1350w motor at 14.8V which i reckon should propel a childs toy quite nicely!

v8kid

posted on 21/1/15 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Ideally you should find a Sinclair C5 motor and use that in the kiddie car - but they're as rare as hen's teeth nowadays, and go for stupid money as they're so useful and powerful...

IIRC these were converted washing machine motors - so that's a full circle!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

David Jenkins

posted on 21/1/15 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
quote:

They were made by Electrolux!

v8kid

posted on 21/1/15 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

I smell a business opportunity for someone!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

McLannahan

posted on 21/1/15 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Made by Hoover I think?

MikeRJ

posted on 21/1/15 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simonrh
I am sure i remember from physics at school that certain types of brushed AC motors run quite happily on DC too (as long as you can sort the wiring).

They are called "universal" motors, and are the ones with series connected field coils rather than permanent magnets. However, without rewinding the motor the voltage requirements will be still be similar (i.e. a 240v AC universal motor won't be very useful when connected to a 12v battery).

bi22le

posted on 21/1/15 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
I have 2 x wheelchair motors in my loft. 24v and bags of torque for exactly this reason.

Before you all ask, NO

[Edited on 21/1/15 by bi22le]

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

David Jenkins

posted on 21/1/15 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan
quote:
quote:
quote:

Made by Hoover I think?

We're both wrong! Just looked it up, and found this:

quote:

The C5 motor is a 12v DC permanent magnet motor, rated at 250W continuous. The motor was made by Polymotor in Italy, part of the giant Philips group. While it is true that Polymotor make motors for washing machines, it is also true that they make torpedo motors! Perhaps it would have sounded better if the C5 was powered by a torpedo motor! Being a 12v DC motor, it is far removed from the AC motor used in a washing machine anyway.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.