Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sheared engine mounting bolt
Fishface

posted on 27/11/04 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
sheared engine mounting bolt

Any ideas how to remove a sheared engine moutning bolt? The head has come off leave all the rest off the bolt in the engine block mounting part. Is it safe with only 3 bolts in?

Cheers

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 27/11/04 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Drill out with a left hand drill bit. or use an easy out.

rusty nuts

posted on 27/11/04 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Try welding a nut onto remains of bolt if you have a mig welder, heat from welding and being able to use spanner on nut will often shift a broken bolt or stud, also works sometime on broken bleed nipples, may work with arc welder as well. If nut wrings off try again, Best of luck Rusty
Chris_R

posted on 27/11/04 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with Rusty. Did the same to remove a sheared stud from the manifold of my Cav a few weeks ago. It worked a treat.

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 27/11/04 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
me too, i had a stuck brake bleed nipple a while ago, so i welded a 4 foot bar onto it that learned it a lesson it wont forget in a hurry. i actually sawed it off and reused it...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Avoneer

posted on 27/11/04 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
I used one of those stud removal things for a exhaust manifold bolt that was flush with the head face. Just drilled a hole in the middle of it and screwed the thing in and out it came - easy and less drastic then welding!
Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 27/11/04 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
If you can hold a nut on it and weld through the hole in the middle you might get it, a bit fiddly if it's less than M10 but you can do it. Stud extractors are o.k. but use the biggest you can as they do shear and are impossible to drill out if they break. If it's M8 try grinding the top flush with the block then centrepunch it and drill with a 6mm drill then tap it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

rusty nuts

posted on 28/11/04 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
As already mentioned by Peteff stud extractors sometimes work, BUT If you break one they are impossible to drill out. With welding on a nut as long as you position the nut directly over the broken bolt the worst that can happen is the weld breaking. If that happens weld on another nut and try again. Have done this many times with good results. Haven't used stud extractors for years, Also works with locking wheel bolts that have lost/ broken adaptors. Rusty
12a RX-7

posted on 1/12/04 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
another vote for welding, can never get on with those Ezi out things Evi, pure Evil !

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.