Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil advice
Worzey

posted on 12/3/15 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Oil advice

Time for a pre-season oil change.

I've been using semi-synthetic 10w40 oil in my supercharged 4AGE 20v but have noticed it's using a bit more oil these days and I have a sooty deposit around the exhaust. I use it for fast road/track day use.

What are your thoughts on changing to a 15w40 fully synthetic oil to reduce oil usage? Good/Bad idea?

Also, anyone know what Toyota Oil Filter part number I need?

Caterham R400

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 12/3/15 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I use 5/30 fully syn in my 4age works ok for me I was told by someone in the know switching to 5/30 from 10/40 was worth a couple of extra hp !!
britishtrident

posted on 12/3/15 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Never use anything but a fully synthetic in a Toyota engine or indeed any modern engine.
The Toyota engine requires the extra protection to prevent piston & bore wear which causes piston slap.

Switching to fully synthetic oil should also reduce your oil consumption as it is less volatile than mineral oil.

5w/30 0w/30 or 5w/40 or 0w/40 are OK.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

coyoteboy

posted on 12/3/15 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Never had an issue with older yota engines on dino oil, but fully synth is always nicer. That said, my oil changes are always at 3750 miles.

And switching from 5/30 to 10/40 should reduce power output due to higher viscosity at each temperature range.

Dave Bailey

posted on 12/3/15 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
My St170 recommended is to use semi synthetic... 5/30..... Is there really a need to use fully synthetic.

Dave B

bi22le

posted on 12/3/15 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have been using 15/50 following some heavy googling and reading. Toyomods have some good 20V oil discussions but I think anything from 10/40 upwards is ok.

I use 15/50 Fusch Pro R which is a ester Synthetic oil.

Seems to be ok for me.

I have minimal carbon build up and it seems to like me ringing its neck!!

I did buy some thinner stuff (comma oils) once and went to the ring. It was fine on road, on the way but sounded awful on track. Started sounding loose and kinda' rattly. Luckily (!!) guy I was with binned his M3 on the FIRST outing (dick) so I brought his oil. Drained it that day and went ragging again. It sung so stuck with that make.

Toyota oil filter part number is: 90915-YZZJ2 ( for the short one, same numbers but J1 for the bigger one). I use the small one because it easier to change and fits better with my sandwich plates \ chassis rail.

How is the 4age going? What track days and things are you doing this year? I would like to catch up and have a snoop around your car.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Worzey

posted on 12/3/15 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Bi22le I'll give that a ago and see what happens. I'm hoping the higher viscosity helps.

I'm planning on doing Brands on the 22nd June with a colleague who owns a Caterham. Want to join us? Might do the evening session and use the voucher I got for Xmas. i'll try and fit some other tracks days in too but not got specific plans yet.

The car is running well. It's hardly surprising that 248bhp puts a huge smile on your face

Caterham R400

cliftyhanger

posted on 13/3/15 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
Don't just buy on viscosity, buy on quality. The same rated oil behaves VERY differently. On my old Triumph at goodwood, comma 20/50 cost me a crankshaft. Changed to millers CSS 20-50 with the same engine and replaced crank, pressure held well.
Not all oils are the same. Synthetics, especially ester based, should easily outperform mineral based oils or semi synthetic. But you won't find out until drive the car really hard, as in on track (and please keep it to the track)

mcerd1

posted on 13/3/15 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bailey
My St170 recommended is to use semi synthetic... 5/30..... Is there really a need to use fully synthetic.

Dave B

The ST170 engine is a zetec E with an iron block (and dating back to the early 90's) so semi-synthetic is ok, but that doesn't mean that an appropriate grade of fully synthetic isn't better

Both Ford and castrol (fords recommended brand, who also happen to make fords own brand stuff) have switched the 5w/30 stuff to fully synthetic - and use it in all cars old and new which need that grade

-

britishtrident

posted on 13/3/15 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
One of the big differences between mineral oils and synthetic oils is that mineral oils are composed of a mixture hydrocarbon molecules with different chain lengths, in synthetic oils the size of all the hydrocabon moleules is similar. With mineral oil the shorter chain molecules are more volatile and tend to disapear when the engine is run and oil is exposed to heat.

Because the molecules are close to being all the same size synthetics also make a more protective lubrication film as the bearing load is distributed more equally among the molecules.

[/I]

DJT

posted on 13/3/15 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Changing from 10W40 to 15W40 will only affect cold running performance anyway, as the '40's are the same, no?

http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

cliftyhanger

posted on 13/3/15 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
exactly.

The other thing is that oil has developed and become better. So there is no downside to using a fully synthetic, except price.

Higher numbers will be thicker, and should give a little more protection. If you look at some of the oils specced for high performance engines, yiu may be surprised to see 10/50 or even 10/60 mentioned. The manufacturers may know something about the way those cars may be driven!

coyoteboy

posted on 13/3/15 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
I find it quite interesting that no-one has mentioned the grades of oils available yet, rather than just viscosities.

Any oil that conforms to the same grade (and viscosities) should function similarlly (within bounds), by test definition.

The ACEA/ API/ASTM etc grades detail differing lubrication properties, different antifoaming levels, different detergent levels etc. These are the critical items, more so than viscosity - it's pretty rare that viscosity causes an engine threatening issue whenit's close to that recommended for the engine. What more often causes issues is starvation, breakdown under temp, foaming...

[Edited on 13/3/15 by coyoteboy]

britishtrident

posted on 13/3/15 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
The whole issue of grades of oil has become so confusing in recent years, in the past it was easy SD was better than SC and SE was better than either but because of the clamp down on ash formation and the reduction in additives that are bad for catalysts and lambda sensors. With VAG vehicles particular diesels the situation is even more confusing.

Interestingly when oils get really hot ie some way above the 100c temperature the SAE Viscosity is rated at there isn't that much difference in viscosity between a 5/30 and a 20/50.

Where synthetics especially ester based synthetics really score is in extreme cold when you get down to -20c anything but an ester base synthetic just won't pump.

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 13/3/15 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DJT
Changing from 10W40 to 15W40 will only affect cold running performance anyway, as the '40's are the same, no?

The SAE viscosity when hot is measured at 100c. so at that temperature the viscosity will be the same when new, with mineral oils the viscosity changes as the oil is exposed to heat and containments.

Strange as it may seem 5w/40 or 0w/40 synthetic is actually likely to have a higher viscosity at 120c than a 10w/40 or 15w/40 mineral oil and the synthetic will have a higher lubrication film strength.

[/I]

BaileyPerformance

posted on 13/3/15 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
The SAE viscosity when hot is measured at 100c. so at that temperature the viscosity will be the same when new, with mineral oils the viscosity changes as the oil is exposed to heat and containments.

Strange as it may seem 5w/40 or 0w/40 synthetic is actually likely to have a higher viscosity at 120c than a 10w/40 or 15w/40 mineral oil and the synthetic will have a higher lubrication film strength.

Agreed,
But if your planning on giving the engine a right good thrashing 0w/30 would be a bad idea. Its like water when hot offering little in the way of bearing protection. Manufactures only spec light oil for MPG purposes.

You can get fully synth oils now at 40, 50 and 60

We see time and time again rubbish breather systems causing oil consumption. for a track day car you need at least a 3/4" breather open to atmos (via catch tank)

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisj

posted on 13/3/15 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
I've tried a few but keep coming back to the Valvoline VR1. Its a racing oil which maintains viscosity at high temp. I've used Millers and a few others but the didn't maintain pressure after a thrash.

I'm using 20w50 which I brought from Amazon.

Worzey

posted on 13/3/15 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Bi22le I'll give that a ago and see what happens. I'm hoping the higher viscosity helps.

I'm planning on doing Brands on the 22nd June with a colleague who owns a Caterham. Want to join us? Might do the evening session and use the voucher I got for Xmas. i'll try and fit some other tracks days in too but not got specific plans yet.

The car is running well. It's hardly surprising that 248bhp puts a huge smile on your face

Caterham R400

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.