Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust silencing
Barksavon

posted on 21/3/15 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Exhaust silencing

I've got a track day at Blyton next weekend and am a bit concerned that my exhaust may be a bit too loud. I've got a Tiger Avon with 2litre pinto and the standard exhaust that came with the kit, has anyone any experience of noise level testing from similar cars (I appreciate all cars are different)
Also any advice on what I could do to quiten it down, I've seen the repackable silencers and the gadgets that fit into the pipe etc also read that some steel wool in the pipe could work....any views please?
One more question, on the website it states the test is conducted at 3/4 maximum engine revs, who decides what 3/4 max engine revs is?
The limit at Bottom is 105Db according to website
Ta
Ian

matt5964

posted on 21/3/15 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
You tell them what you Rev limit is and they ask for 3/4 of that. , shocked me first time as they were so trusting

105db is quite loud, on our old system we had a basic exhaust like the ones from kit spares on a 2ltr zetec at Cadwell and scored 102 at the first track day and 99 on the second visit..

Be gentle on the throttle as to not over Rev it as they will just take the reading as its down to you to provide the correct rev's
Good organisers will allow you to go away have a 'fiddle' and re test.

Science having the simpson on we have been measured at 92 at Cadwell 94 at rockingham and 92 at Bedford , and that's with a higher Rev limit now and the car is tuned to 221bhp (was170 inshallah before)

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 21/3/15 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
105dB In reality generally means 'no noise limit' as you would have to have something insane to beat that.

I have been to Blyton loads of times and have never been tested or seen anyone being tested there, I wouldn't worry.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Jon Ison

posted on 21/3/15 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
You won't be tested at Blyton, they do have a drive by meter it's to the right of the track imidiatly after last corner/track entry, I have only ever seen one car flagged off for noise, it sounded like a V16 at 12000rpm with open exhausts. Provided your not stupid loud you will be fine.
Barksavon

posted on 21/3/15 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys, not so worried now
By the way Matt what's a "Simpson"
Ta
Ian

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 21/3/15 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
As far as I know, the NIMBY's have yet to impact Blyton to it's detriment.
105, static, as has been said is quite loud. If there's no mention of a drive-by limit, then you should be OK.

If you were heading to Combe, Don., Brands, Croft or Goodwood, I'd have a different answer for you. The folks that have bought houses around these circuits really don't like the fact that there's a race circuit there. It's not the fault of the circuit, the complainants have the Councils on their side, with their ears on the meters. On these circuits, limits *are* enforced, ruthlessly.

Merlin Motorsport does an add-on that's very, very popular at the Combe meetings.

adithorp

posted on 21/3/15 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
You won't have an issue at Blyton unless it makes your ears bleed. Like Jon says I've only seen one car thrown off and it was the dump valve on the turbo that was the issue.

The drive by is on the slowest corner, on the right so tends not to be full chat. One day there last year I was worried about the notoriously tight 105 drive-by at Zolder (where I was going a days later) so asked them to take note of what I was registering. Highest I recorded was 87db. When I got to Zolder I was black flagged for 108db on the straight!

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Davey D

posted on 21/3/15 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Every time I've been to Blyton there has never been a noise test before going out. I've only ever seen one car be pulled in, which was a TVR. I watched him launch from the lights at the start, and holy carp was it loud!!. I said he's deffo going to get pulled. .. Then lo and behold at the last section where the black flags are kept he was waved in

The best way to keep power up and noise down is with a big silencer. I run a RaceCo titanium 7.25" diameter silencer on my R1 engine. When I did a noise test at Cadwell I was hitting the 98/99bB mark at 9.5k rpm

matt5964

posted on 21/3/15 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barksavon
Thanks for the replies guys, not so worried now
By the way Matt what's a "Simpson"
Ta
Ian

My exhaust system was custom made by simpson race exhausts, beautiful pice of work and really released the full potential of the engin work done. Opted for a large silencer so no issues on track, but no compromise to performance.

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

Barksavon

posted on 21/3/15 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Bit out of my reach I think. And my engine wouldn't justify a custom made exhaust ..... Hopefully one day.....!!!'

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.