Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another headlight thread - show me your lights!
f27

posted on 8/4/15 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Another headlight thread - show me your lights!

Hi,

I know this has been posted many times before, but I have searched through threads and haven't found anything that inspires me yet...

My current lights are too big (scrape the bonnet when opening) and don't give off much light. I want to change them, but fancy something different, but not sure what!

I like the smaller (3.5 - 4"?) dominator style, but was wondering how they would look with a double light at each side rather than just the single one. Like these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-Round-Black-Dominator-Motorcycle-Headlights-Streetfighter-E-Marked-/350352078222?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=ite m51929c758e

I also like the look of the furore lights but haven't seen them on a seven yet (except the photo in the ad) and I hate silver so would want some black ones -
http://furoreproducts.co.uk/projector-headlights/49-photon-twin-projector-headlamps.html

I might just go the normal route and fit a smaller version of what I currently have.

Anyway, please share a photo of your cars lights for inspiration! Any advice much appreciated.

This is my car at the moment

[Edited on 8/4/15 by f27]

SOLD - F27 Blackbird, F27 ZZR1400, MK Indy Hayabusa, 3 750MC Crossflow Locosts, Ultima GTR - currently got a MX5 powered Locost racing car

YQUSTA

posted on 8/4/15 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
The Photons that Russ sells are awesome (that is my old car that they are on).

Lots of light given off and a nice low profile so you don't see them from in the car.

The silver could be covered I guess, best thing to do is give Russ a call, he is a great guy to deal with and very helpful.

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

Irony

posted on 8/4/15 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
I have Twin Photons. I had to pawn a kidney to get them and I bought them from Russbost. Quality however is superb. I only have this video at the moment though. I'll try to take some pictures if you want.

]

rdodger

posted on 8/4/15 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
The lights on the Riot Cars new demo look good.

kitcardirect

posted on 8/4/15 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
These are very popular : Venom Headlights

http://www.kitcardirect.co.uk/

Follow Us On Facebook : http://on.fb.me/1KYgL8N

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theduck

posted on 8/4/15 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've always quite liked the square ones on the old dax rush demo car

wylliezx9r

posted on 8/4/15 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theduck

Your signature is correct you are quackers

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

CosKev3

posted on 8/4/15 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kitcardirect
These are very popular : Venom Headlights

Nice.

Be even nicer if the price was for a pair though!!!

CosKev3

posted on 8/4/15 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

[Edited on 8/4/15 by CosKev3]

Angel Acevedo

posted on 8/4/15 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Description
Description

Which lights are these?
Dominators?
Thanks in advance.
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alfiebeard

posted on 8/4/15 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/2051.JPG

These are pretty good, don't know what type they are though

Alfie

[Edited on 8/4/15 by alfiebeard]

Old bloke on a mission with 320BHP of help

CosKev3

posted on 8/4/15 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Description
Description

Which lights are these?
Dominators?
Thanks in advance.
AA

Yeah Dominators

theduck

posted on 8/4/15 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alfiebeard

Alfie

They are hella oval by the looks of them

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/hella-oval-headlights/

madteg

posted on 8/4/15 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I Have fitted HID conversion kit to dominators, Wow what a difference can now see where I am going.
alfiebeard

posted on 9/4/15 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by alfiebeard

Alfie

They are hella oval by the looks of them

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/hella-oval-headlights/

Thanks for that...

Alfie

Old bloke on a mission with 320BHP of help

russbost

posted on 9/4/15 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Hi All

We can now do the Twin Photons in all black if required, just let us know prior to purchase & we should be able to make you a set up - no extra charge. Those Venom lights are rather huge in the flesh, IIRC they are around 10" long! That's more than twice the length of the Photons - if you're trying to keep it small & neat we do also do a single Photon that does both dip & main beam in the one light

Link

They have an optional tilt & swivel mount which frequently means a straight swap for whatever you have there at the moment.

I f you decided you wanted to keep the 5 3/4" but want more light then we are looking at offering a 5 & 3/4" LED headlight which will fit existing housings, has a massive 2400Lumen on dip beam & 3850 Lumen on main!! (As a comparison, a typical halogen headlight has around 7 - 800 Lumen). These are likely to be in the region of £199.99 a pair & will include an LED DRL & indicator within the headlight - I will be putting a post up re a possible group buy shortly .....................

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Chris_Xtreme

posted on 9/4/15 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote

Is what I am currently running.. However, when I got them the first thing I did was to upgrade the bulbs to super bright, or the most road legal ones as the light is not that great. the other downside is that main beam is not a brighter light, the flap just lifts up to increase the flat beam pattern higher.

very nice unit (from Russ), but I am going to be changing them for something with better light output. (every one at the Mot garage commented on the fact that they were so much better than the larger lights, but were not surprised to hear that the actual light output was not as good)

I used to have to I think 5inch lights and they were the best I've had, but it looks like this might be what you have already !

(I am changing to some trucklight led head lights that fit in a 7" unit.. downside which surprised me as I got them pretty cheap second hand is the weight! going to have to fabricate a stronger mount as it is going to bounce........)

good luck finding some you like.

russbost

posted on 9/4/15 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Chris, very surprised to hear you don't find the light output adequate, tho' TBH you may actually have made things worse by going to a higher wattage bulb as sometimes their filament placement isn't particularly accurate, which is essential for good light output. We do have a 35W HID upgrade kit available which pushes Lumens output up by around 4x, but still keeps an accurate beam pattern, but I will be honest, we don't sell that many of them as people usually comment on how good the standard light output is compared to a traditional headlight.

The big difference usually between projector & traditional style headlights is that the old traditional style once spray light everywhere & give a mushy cut off whereas the projectors put it exactly we
here you want it & you could use the cut off line for the top of the beam pattern as a ruler it is that sharp!

We sell the 7" LED upgrade for traditional style headlights & light output is fantastic, but I would agree the units aren't lightweight!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 9/4/15 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Russ,

thanks for the feedback...

I would agree about the crisp line etc. the projector is definitely a more defined light.

The bulbs I replaced the standard ones with are not higher wattage, just those that produce a little bit whiter and brighter light.

I think also the amount of light that is expected does come into play, one man's very good may be another's good if you know what I mean.

I've never compared side by side different kit car type lights.

ianm67

posted on 9/4/15 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Simples...... They are from the Citroen 2CV......

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

mcerd1

posted on 10/4/15 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianm67
quote:

Simples...... They are from the Citroen 2CV......

And nearly impossible to get these days....

-

Irony

posted on 10/4/15 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Russ,

I may be being a bit 'fick' but how do the mounting brackets work with the twin photon setups?

Also I agree with you about the Venom Headlights - they are huge!!

russbost

posted on 10/4/15 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Russ,

I may be being a bit 'fick' but how do the mounting brackets work with the twin photon setups?

Also I agree with you about the Venom Headlights - they are huge!!

You have 2 choices, the bracket which joins the lamps together has an 8mm hole at each side, so they can be mounted from there, usually using a "C" shaped bracket to mount on a single hole underneath, so the swivel is there with the tilt from the sidemounts. Alternatively they have another mount underneath (if you look at the pictures on my website you'll be able to see better) which we supply tilt & swivel mount for - you can of course have them separate from the twin bracket that joins them & mount them entirely separately on tilt/swivel brackets

f27

posted on 12/4/15 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I think either some dominators with HID conversion, or I'l wait to see what the group buy that russbost is going to post looks like.

It's not longer my priority since yesterday I blew a hole in the engine. Second Blackbird engine thats blown in 2 years! Going to look at putting something else in it, so about to start a new thread about that.

Thanks again

SOLD - F27 Blackbird, F27 ZZR1400, MK Indy Hayabusa, 3 750MC Crossflow Locosts, Ultima GTR - currently got a MX5 powered Locost racing car

kj

posted on 12/4/15 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
A lad had a zx9 complete set up in Newcastle £400 inc loom

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.