Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Seat fitting advice
tims31

posted on 9/4/15 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Seat fitting advice

I managed to pick up a pair of Cobra seats for my Fury but have a question regarding fitting.

The drivers side I plan to have fitted on a runner and the passenger side fitted direct to the floor, however having trial fitted them I have found that reclining them slightly with a 2" block under the front gives a better feel and support under the thighs.

The question is, if I fit the seats with a block/spacer under the front will this be ok for IVA and has anyone else done this and got an idea of how to go about it. Would it need to be a soild block or could I just turn down a spacer?

Attached a picture to try and explain what I mean...

Description
Description

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

David Jenkins

posted on 9/4/15 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Put some effort into making it look neat and tidy and the inspector won't give it a second glance. He may well grab hold of the seat and waggle it around to see if it's secure (mine did, half-heartedly) so make sure it is well fixed.

[Edited on 9/4/15 by David Jenkins]

gremlin1234

posted on 9/4/15 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
as you have drawn it, the whole seat will lift as it is slid forward.

if you have the runners on the floor, and the spacers from them to the seat, the height will not change as the seat is moved.

tims31

posted on 9/4/15 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234

if you have the runners on the floor, and the spacers from them to the seat, the height will not change as the seat is moved.

yep, good point. I need to raise the runner slightly otherwise it will be too tight one of the chassis bracing bars but didnt think about it raising the whole height.

SteveWalker

posted on 9/4/15 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
My cobra seats came with four 1" aluminium spacers for mounting direct to the floor. As I used sliding mounts, I put two of the spacers under the front edge of the seats to get 1" of lift there. 2" may be better.
Angel Acevedo

posted on 9/4/15 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

This effect may not be totally undesired as when somebody needs to get closer to the steering wheel, most likely he/she will need to sit a little higher too.
I have modified some frames for my seats-awaiting funds to get upholstered and plan to mount the drivers side on runners an the passenger side fixed.
So I'm watching this space with interest
Regards
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 9/4/15 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
...if you have the runners on the floor, and the spacers from them to the seat, the height will not change as the seat is moved.

This is how mine work in my Fury.

Originally the passenger side seat (which is fixed) was mounted on 4 1" spacers and the driver seat on runners bolted dirrect to the ally with large (+2" washers on the underside. This passed SVA.
Later in an attempt to lower the seats (to give a lower eyeline through the 'screen) I tried...

a) removing the spacers/runners. This was too much as the bowl of the GRP seat sits lower than the mounting points.

b) using 2 of the 4 spacers, at the front the passenger seat and two spacers+the runners on the drivers seat. I tried the runners both on the seat (as it was easier) but although the angle was shallow, it was too much rise in practice. They are now on the floor and it works fine.

The height difference (due to the drivers side having runners) oddly wasn't noticable. I've since removed the headrest from the n/s seat to give easier access to the boot so you def'can't tell now. The angle does mean there's a trwisting/bending on the floor/seats/runners but it's hardly noticable.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

trextr7monkey

posted on 9/4/15 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
We have put various seats into various cars over the years and have used 2" thick wall box section cut into 2" lengths with one of the sides cut away ( makes a very strong C shaped channel ) so a ring spanner can have decent access. Once painted it looks like it's part of the runner mechanism.
Hth
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

tims31

posted on 9/4/15 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

This is how mine work in my Fury.

Originally the passenger side seat (which is fixed) was mounted on 4 1" spacers and the driver seat on runners bolted dirrect to the ally with large (+2" washers on the underside. This passed SVA.
Later in an attempt to lower the seats (to give a lower eyeline through the 'screen) I tried...

a) removing the spacers/runners. This was too much as the bowl of the GRP seat sits lower than the mounting points.

b) using 2 of the 4 spacers, at the front the passenger seat and two spacers+the runners on the drivers seat. I tried the runners both on the seat (as it was easier) but although the angle was shallow, it was too much rise in practice. They are now on the floor and it works fine.

The height difference (due to the drivers side having runners) oddly wasn't noticable. I've since removed the headrest from the n/s seat to give easier access to the boot so you def'can't tell now. The angle does mean there's a trwisting/bending on the floor/seats/runners but it's hardly noticable.

Great Advice, thanks for the input. I had the floorpan dropped on the drivers side when Steve made the chassis so that when I put the seat on runners the difference in height wouldn't be noticed but from what your saying Adithorp it may have been ok.

Need to get in the garage and have a look at how best to sort this.

[Edited on 9/4/15 by tims31]

Slimy38

posted on 9/4/15 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
This is a very interesting thread, I'd also like to see what you end up with.

And it's also highlighted something I'd not even realised. I'm aiming to fit my MX5 seats on the original runners on both drivers and passengers side. It didn't even occur to me that the passenger seat being on runners would be redundant! I think I might just drop the drivers floor to compensate for the runners.

40inches

posted on 9/4/15 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
That's how mine are, passed IVA no problem, and as Angel says it lifts short people up, although the lifting effect is minimal.
The passenger side is fixed and as far back as possible. I have lifted the GRP seats a total of 75mm and still can't see the near side front wheel arch.

adithorp

posted on 12/4/15 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
The only issue with a fixed passenger seat is when (not if) something gets dropped down the side or behind it.

Tim as you'll find when you get your tub it isn't symmetrical (though I've been told they're better than they use to be from the old molds) so slight differences from one side to the other aren't as noticeable as you'd imagine... especially to people who haven't spent months staring at it and scratching there heads like you will.

coozer

posted on 12/4/15 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I got 4 seat runners out of a Citreon C3 at the scrappy for £20. ( c2,3,4 runners are all flat and the same I believe)

Mounted them on 1" Ali spacers to clear the chassis rail and was ok for sva.

Bit later found the rear mounts were tearing the floor a bit so reinforced the back ones with a life of 2" wide flat ally bar right across the car.

This came very handy the secure the front of the rear diffuser a bit later on.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

tims31

posted on 12/4/15 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The only issue with a fixed passenger seat is when (not if) something gets dropped down the side or behind it.

Funny that, I was looking at them the other day and thought the very same thing

quote:
Tim as you'll find when you get your tub

Hope for some good news soon from Steve....

tims31

posted on 12/4/15 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I got 4 seat runners out of a Citreon C3 at the scrappy for £20. ( c2,3,4 runners are all flat and the same I believe)

Mounted them on 1" Ali spacers to clear the chassis rail and was ok for sva.

Bit later found the rear mounts were tearing the floor a bit so reinforced the back ones with a life of 2" wide flat ally bar right across the car.

This came very handy the secure the front of the rear diffuser a bit later on.

Don't suppose you know what the dimensions of the mounting holes were do you?

coozer

posted on 12/4/15 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
No mate, they where perfect for the seats, drilled a hole at the back for the rear seat mount and welded a lug on the front.

Theres alttle bit in my blog, here:

http://mymnrvortx.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-max=2008-04-21T18:58:00Z&max-results=10&reverse-paginate=true

Then drilled the holes in the floor.

Only thing that needs moddy is the width, just cut the bar to get the right width them slid a bit tube over.

[Edited on 12/4/15 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Angel Acevedo

posted on 25/5/15 at 02:24 AM Reply With Quote
I have been perusing the forum for ideas regarding mounting but can´t make up my mind.
I have made some contraptions to consisting on 50 X 3 m, Steel Ba rwhich I was planning to weld waith some brackets to the chassis tubes, but due to the seat arrangement I had to use some spacers between the seat and the runners so I end up with almost 5" (125 mm) above my Floor.
Questions are:
- Is it too much (as in Too high should be lower)?
- Is it OK? (as in Don´t bother you won´t notice)
- Mi Floor is 3 mm Thick Alumin**m and AS I was a little bit Paranoid when I drilled the floor Rivets are really close together.
- Would it be OK if I drill my floor and install directly to it with regular (or Nylock) Nuts from below?
If I go this route, I may use Thin washers on the rear Bolts and maybe 12 to 25 mm spacers on the fronts just to raise the fromt edge of the seats a tad..
Any comments, suggestions or words of encouragement really appreciated.
AA

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 25/5/15 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
would it not be better to fix the seats in the exact position for the IVA rules, and then do what you want with runners etc post IVA ?

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

adithorp

posted on 25/5/15 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
would it not be better to fix the seats in the exact position for the IVA rules, and then do what you want with runners etc post IVA ?

steve

Don't think Angel has to meet IVA rules in Mexico (though I'm curious what the rules are)

Questions and answers:
- Is it too much? I'd say it was.

- Is it OK? Probably not, you want to be as low as possible.

- My Floor is 3 mm Thick Alumin**m... ...Would it be OK if I drill my floor and install directly to it? In my opinion, yes. Thats how mine is (though floor is only 2mm). Put big washers either side to spread the load (I measured the ones I made/used and they're 70mm diameter x 4m thick ally).

Angel Acevedo

posted on 25/5/15 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
.... the load (I measured the ones I made/used and they're 70mm diameter x 4m thick ally).

Da&n...
They're THICK WASHERS...

Thanks for the replies.
No, no IVA to comply here although I am studying the manual and striving to comply so I can tell it is built to British Standards (bragging rights, you know)
I think I'll use the runners for adjustability during testing and once the car is in the road (if ever) I may remove the runners and bolt direct to the floor.
Best regards
Angel Acevedo

jambojeef

posted on 25/5/15 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KART-4-x-Large-Rubber-Seat-Spacers-40mm-x-30mm-Great-Value-Best-Price-On-Ebay-/271250528743?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=i tem3f27ca99e7

Thats how I did mine

allaboutfords2012

posted on 14/7/15 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
I am faced with this problem as well but really need to know when building the inside seats column and pedals which do you start with first or do you just move it all around at the same time to suit?
Thanks Mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.