Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Cortina donor chassis width?
mattpilmoor

posted on 30/11/04 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
Cortina donor chassis width?

Hi,

Chassis steel being delivered today, can't wait to get at it.

Anyway, i think i've found a decent cortina MK5 donor. The question is-do I need to widen the chassis to accomodate the back axle (or the 2l pinto) thinking about using the mcsorely.net CAD drawings with the + 4ins width. If i can get away without doing it i'd rather go with the standard book chassis cause i guess the fibreglass bits'll be cheaper.

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers

Matt

James

posted on 30/11/04 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
More importantly than cheaper, is easier to get hold of! No one I'm aware of produces +4 bodywork so it means doing a lot more work yourself.

If you look at pics of standard cars you'll see there's a lot of the 'caravan' look- where the back axle is a lot narrower than the rear arches. A lot of people think this doesn't look too great.

With the wider Cortina axle and standard chassis/arches this issue goes away!

There's maybe a potential issue with differing front/rear track but no-one I know of has yet said it doesn't work having wider track so I guess it's ok!

Hope that helps,

James

ned

posted on 30/11/04 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
standard chassis and bodywork will be fine for cortina donor.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 30/11/04 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
If you use a book chassis with a Cortina axle, you will need some seriously wide rear arches. Mine are 12" and my capri axle makes the wheels fill the rear arches.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.